• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

That's the source.
At 9kg, it's certainly substantial.

"Temporarily out of stock".

AL-470R-S Full Aluminium chassis Round corner Large Power amplifier - Silver color version

# Custom made R30mm corner section
# 10mm thick front, rear and side plates
# One long side plate (Front or Rear) thinner to 1.5mm for easy custom opening
# 4.5mm thick top and bottom plate offer very excellent strength and still easy for custom made opening
# Made in China
# Weight :8950 (gram/Each)
# Size (mm): 470 x 320 x 80
Item No: AL-470R-S
--Temporary Out-of-stock--
Quantity (Each) Price (US$)
1 - 2 148.00
3 - 9 142.00
10 or more 134.00

That's the source.
At 9kg, it's certainly substantial.

"Temporarily out of stock".

AL-470R-S Full Aluminium chassis Round corner Large Power amplifier - Silver color version

# Custom made R30mm corner section
# 10mm thick front, rear and side plates
# One long side plate (Front or Rear) thinner to 1.5mm for easy custom opening
# 4.5mm thick top and bottom plate offer very excellent strength and still easy for custom made opening
# Made in China
# Weight :8950 (gram/Each)
# Size (mm): 470 x 320 x 80
Item No: AL-470R-S
--Temporary Out-of-stock--
Quantity (Each) Price (US$)
1 - 2 148.00
3 - 9 142.00
10 or more 134.00

yeah thats the one...very nice too....everything I ordered from them came promptly and correctly highly recommended:)..I will have to copyright my handles and knobs though:cool:...oh yeah and drilling through 10mm aluminium for an IEC socket was not fun

Last edited:
DIY Tube amp and matching speakers

Just finished a modular rig for the living room. The dimensions and shapes were matched (using the golden ratio :) ), so everything can be stacked and placed as needed. The name Aitoaudio is just a placeholder invented for the project.

Still missing but designed already:
Aluminum stands suitable for any module. Subwoofer: components ordered for a Rhytmik Audio Direct Servo subwoofer with a GR paper driver - crossing quite low as the speakers easily go down to 40-50 Hz.

Finished:
Speakers - Markaudio Alpair 10.2 in near aperiodic enclosures. Very nice full-range drivers. Speaker boxes are based on the ideas from Classic Golden Ratio Mar-Ken10.2 at planet10-hifi.com. More info can be found at the build log: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/191927-classicgr-mar-ken10-2-anyone-built-have-mods-what-do-you-think-about-them.html

Tube amp - a Chinese Sweet Peach EL-34B from an ebay auction for a decent price. After disassembly, used most of it for the amp module of the modular rig. Added a Bluetooth module and a charging iPhone/iPad dock. It already had MM and USB plus RCA aux in. The source is always Spotify high bit rate.

The white box is MDF and the top plate is 3 mm aluminum. The knobs are solid aluminum ones ordered from China. The most difficult part to source were rotary power switches (230 V) for Power on/off and BT on/off. Finally found some (made in UK) but had to cut and modify the plastic shafts to fit the 6 mm knobs - the shafts were too long and 6.3 mm in diameter.

Had to eventually replace a resistor as the original Chinese one was bad and causing sound degradation and even muting on the right channel.

Remaining: I checked the bias balance of the EL34-B's and they were quite close. Did not know the target value for this, so left it like that. But now I guess they are probably running too hot.
Power is not an issue, even now the stepped :mad: volume pot is difficult to use as step 1 is too silent and step 3 is already too loud for night usage. And there are 30 steps. Even at daytime it is impossible to use any volume above 1/4 of the scale.

Maybe it's a good idea to open up the amp again and rebias it - just have to find out the right values for EL34-B. Might as well replace a few other resistors at the same time, the originals looked a bit whimsy. And the volume pot. And some caps? And... :)

-
Mikko

Attachments

• Aito 2.jpg
    Aito 2.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 1,605
  • Aito 3.jpg
    Aito 3.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 1,534
  • Aito 1.jpg
    Aito 1.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 1,493
  • Aito 005.jpg
    Aito 005.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,435
  • kuva-18.jpg
    kuva-18.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 1,381
Last edited:
Mindutis: yes. Switches requiring brute tactile force make them feel solid. :)

Update about the bias: the Shuguangs were running at an OK level from the factory. The plate voltage was 401 V and the cathode currents were L: 52 mA and R: 53 mA - giving a a value of > 21 W which seemed high to me but the specs claim a max 30 W for Shuguangs - so it was exactly 70%. Tested a lower level and adjusted both to 40 mA giving a 412 V and thus 16.5 W. Seems enough for me (sound is the same) and maybe get a better life for the tubes?

Poddwatt

A recent build of Bruce Heran's Poddwatt......

6N1P drivers, EL84 (6P14P-EV) outputs.
Heath SA-2 OTs.
Power transformer was something I had on the shelf, but was a bit small, so I added a filament transformer.

Cherry knob and end plates.

Attachments

• podwatt_1.jpg
    podwatt_1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,569
  • poddwatt_2.jpg
    poddwatt_2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,560
RH84 from RCA Victor console

Console pull was a Canadian RCA Victor with a voltage doubler power supply. Initially I thought I would be able to use the old can caps, but the hum level was too high, so I stacked some new caps under the deck. I left the smaller cans in place, disconnected.

The chassis wasn't really suitable for leaving exposed, so I built a wooden case - open backed.
Box is finger-jointed black cherry with spalted arbutus sawn veneer faceplate.

The chassis is raised about 1/4 inch so that there is good air flow via the bottom gap and the numerous perforations in the chassis top.

Attachments

• under_1.jpg
    under_1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 558
  • case_2.jpg
    case_2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,551
  • case_1.jpg
    case_1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,548
RH84 from Chisholm console

Console pull - made in Port Moody,BC by Chisholm.

The IEC power entry fit (with some work) into the hole left by the octal socket which communicated with the tuner & control panel in the console.
I used the original tube sockets which were fairly good quality. Desoldering the (very well-done) original construction was a bit of work. Usually the final lug on the tube socket is the one that breaks. Either my technique is improving or I'm getting lucky: this time everything survived.:D

End plates are curly arbutus.

Attachments

• under_1.jpg
    under_1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 524
  • top_1.jpg
    top_1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 481
  • top_2.jpg
    top_2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 496