• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Want to build a PP spud.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I have a nice little E55L spud which I am very happy with, but as a challenge (and in order to use some input transformers I have) I have a hankering for a real PP spud amp. I have been seeking through just about all the twin triode's and twin tetrodes looking for candidates.
The requirement would have to be a single bottle per side but otherwise anything goes.

The best candidates I have come up with so far are:
5687 - simple and elegant but really a bit anemic even for my frugal needs
ECC99 - still a bit anemic
6N30p - beefier but lacking the necessary mu to go it alone (diyaudioprojects.com/mirror/members.aol.com/sbench101/)
QQV04-16 gain a bit low, gm a bit marginal at 10.5mA/V
QQV02 -6 gain a bit better, gm a bit marginal at 10.5mA/V

So am I missing something, are there better candidates.

I need to dig deep into the Compactron .lists, but it strikes me that they rarely have beefy enough triodes and they are often badly mismatched by design.

Shoog

Last edited:
If a man hasn't got principles - what has he got.

The reality is that the last thing I need at the moment is another amp cluttering up the place (and annoying the long suffering wife) so unless it has that special magic quality it ain't worth building. For me the last frontier is a single bottle PP spud - everything else has been achieved.

Shoog

5894 and a lot of cathode feedback?

That looks really interesting, though there is no data on Transconductance and the mu looks decidedly inadequate for the task at hand. A step up transformer might solve that, but only if it had the transconductance necessary.
Seems it would need something like 14V Peak to Peak of drive to deliver at a usable bias point.

Shoog

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.