• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bright Driver Tubes 12AU7, 12BH7, 5814...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
on my VTA ST-120 amp,
The CV4003 is an awesome tube indeed. It is the one I listen to 90% of the time and I'm sure it will remain my favorite because i prefer that darker sound on most of my music.

But since i like to tweak and test different things, I would also like to try the opposite end of the spectrum.

I would like to find the brightest tube that is a direct drop in replacement for
12AU7, 12BH7, 5814, 5963 or 6189

What tube brand and model would you recommend that will increase the volume of the frequencies above 10Khz ?

kind thanks,
Eddie

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sounds more like a design issue with the amplifier or the way it performs with your current speakers.

I have no idea which tube if any would achieve your goals, but I have not measured any significant difference in frequency response based on tube rolling.(Linearity is a different matter.)

... I have not measured any significant difference in frequency response based on tube rolling.(Linearity is a different matter.)

Isn't linearity when the volume is higher in some frequencies than others? I was asking about higher volume in the very high frequencies such as from 10Khz on up.

So what I'm asking is indeed about linearity. The CV4003 is down a little on the high frequencies therefore it is not linear. So I'm asking if anyone knows of driver tubes that fit my amp that are not linear but in the opposite direction...meaning they are "UP" a little on the very high frequencies. UP as in a little louder thereby making it non-linear.

I don't even think I used the words "frequency response". I said "increase the volume of the frequencies above 10Khz". That is a matter of linearity and tonal quality.

Isn't linearity when the volume is higher in some frequencies than others?

No. Not in the application you are discussing - or at least not to any realistically audible extent.

I was asking about higher volume in the very high frequencies such as from 10Khz on up.

Then you should be rolling coupling caps

So what I'm asking is indeed about linearity. The CV4003 is down a little on the high frequencies therefore it is not linear.

I very much doubt it. The frequency range of audio is a trivial segment of the total frequency range of the tube, so unless the tube is grossly defective, its unlikely to be rolling frequencies off in the audible band.

So I'm asking if anyone knows of driver tubes that fit my amp that are not linear but in the opposite direction...meaning they are "UP" a little on the very high frequencies. UP as in a little louder thereby making it non-linear.

I don't even think I used the words "frequency response". I said "increase the volume of the frequencies above 10Khz". That is a matter of linearity and tonal quality.

See above.

when a tube is darker or brighter it is indeed because the brighter tube is louder in the highs and the darker tube is relatively not as loud in the highs.

Having dozens of 12AU7 variants (12AU7, 5963, 6189, 5814, ECC82 and different brands of each), and having tested them extensively (with calibrated test equipment), what you're attempting to describe has nothing to do with linearity and has never shown up as you describe in any set of measurements.

With respect to audio amplification, linearity can be a broad term, but it is not the same as frequency response. As an example, the standard ECC8x series of tubes were designed for audio band use, not RF use, so don't expect them to run flat into the megahertz range, which by your definition would render all of them as having a linearity problem.

Having tested/measured in excess of 100 different tubes in the same amplifier, I've measured differences in distortion and gain versus signal level. However, you're not going to find that some tubes (of the same type) have an audibly noticeable rising response is frequency. Linearity is basically how closely the tube's output signal follows it's input signal over it's usable range, which can be both frequency and dynamic.

Still, the brighter/darker debate is more likely the result of mechanical issues within the tube. Many tubes will exhibit signal distortion from mechanical disturbance, some more than others. A good example would be DHTs, like a 45. I have a large stock of these and have found quite a few than can excited by a mere hand clap from a few feet away. I found others that exhibit a clearly defined frequency range that they resonate at within the audible band, some bad enough to the point that they are audibly colored in their response. This is the result of internal structure, tolerances and usage over time.

If you have some test equipment available, I suggest you do some testing on your own.... as pretty much every 12AU7 variant (proper samples at least) all are flat within 1dB in circuit (driving a 45 DHT SE amp) to 50KHz, no exceptions.

Regards, KM

I think this is just the inverse of a thread you posted a few weeks ago.

Kevinkr gave you a good answer here.

It is certainly a more "difficult" path to change components other than tubes, and I've done exactly the same thing as you - started out buying tubes and "tube rolling", but gradually I realised that it is about the implementation of the circuit, not the tubes themselves.

For this application, if you must try tubes rather than modifying the circuit, I suggest to get some E80CC tubes (ensure your power supply can handle the additional filament current). They're very linear and designed for audio.

Last edited:
so anyway, sorry to bring this all back on topic but what tubes do you think have a strong performance in the high frequencies. whether it be higher resolution/detail in the highs, or a brighter sound. All while avoiding the harsh tinny sound of some components. And interchangeable with 12AU7 12BH7 5814 and hopefully easy to find on the internet.

Someone suggested the RCA 12AU7 side getter clear top so i bought it but i'd like to buy a few more just to try different ones to see which one is strongest in the high highs (i.e. 10Khz and up)

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
so anyway, sorry to bring this all back on topic
Someone suggested the RCA 12AU7 side getter clear top so i bought it but i'd like to buy a few more just to try different ones to see which one is strongest in the high highs (i.e. 10Khz and up)

I have a question,

What makes you think its not a problem with the circuit?
Ie you are rolling tubes and not getting the sound you like except for one type of tube...You could do the same with components and you still won't be happy..

The simple fact is you don't like the circuit /amp you are using, however you are blaming the tubes for the sound. (You could be wrong!)

Regards
M. Gregg

I've never had any 12AU7 measure significantly different from one another. I had EH's, JJ's, TungSol's and some rebranded but none of them exhibited the suggested differences. That said, the surrounding circuitry did not rely on the tube's characteristics to set the frequnecy response within the audible range. Caps did that, the way it should be IMO.

Perhaps and only perhaps he is looking for an interchangeable component that can easily be fitted. Like a cable or another stylus. Heck, all these square 43cm boxes look the same and yet sound different. I recently found out there's a BIG difference between radio stations. What was I thinking they would sound the same because the box said Sony ES on the front?

Mate, you're adressing the wrong crowd here because we steer away from circuits that depend on coincidental effects as a result of bad engineering (besides occasional math problems :D). Go see your local dealer and hand over your hard earned money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.