• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bright Driver Tubes 12AU7, 12BH7, 5814...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's my pedestrian attempt to explain linearity and FR and how a poor operating point for the driver can seem like uneven FR.

Linearity is the uniformity of amplification vis-a-vis the input signal level. If you choose a typical operating point for the supply voltages you should have good linearity of amplification. Your .25v input will be (10x.25v); .5v =(10x.5v); 1v. =(10x1v.) ... for all input signal levels until clipping occurs.

If you have a poor operating point selected you may find that the higher signal levels are not amplified by the same "factor" as the softer, lower, signal levels. In MUSIC this could mean that the stronger instruments in the mid to low frequency range that will almost always be supplying a higher signal level will now be attenuated by the poor linearity produced because of the SUPPLY circuit and the tube operating point. Not a tube characteristic. This COULD sound like the highs are brighter than you would expect. It SHOULD sound like the lows are softer than you expect. How your brain and or hearing interprets that and how the "sound" is reported back to everyone on the boards is what makes posts about different tube sound so frustratingly irrelevant to my amp or your amp or his amp. But this is not a FR problem. If you back the input signal down to where all the input levels are back in the linear range you would find what "sounds" like a flatter FR.

Best find an amp setup with flat FR and then use input EQ to taste and or hearing/speaker problems.

It will be simple things like Miller capacitance and anode impedance. High impedance circuits, as used in guitar amps, are more sensitive to these. Any valve will amplify 5Hz, 500Hz and 50kHz in exactly the same way but the circuit can introduce variation. Audio valves work from DC to around VHF; from there you start to get transit time effects.

Would supersonic oscillation be a possible candidate for altered AF frequency response?

20to20 said:
Here's my pedestrian attempt to explain linearity and FR and how a poor operating point for the driver can seem like uneven FR.
I think you are explaining how poor linearity can sound like uneven frequency response. He appears to have measurements, which if correctly done will not be fooled by nonlinearity.

Oscillation is more likely to create distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.