Pair Quad II in all original condition... restore or sell - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Katch is offline Katch  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Pair Quad II in all original condition... restore or sell

At the risk of upsetting people with my good luck; I've just been given a pair of these.

Click the image to open in full size.

They have never been touched and I'm in a serious quandary - sell them as they are or restore them myself...
Old 4th February 2013, 01:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of them, (I also got them free with a TD14).

I say restore them!
Old 4th February 2013, 01:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Restore them well - have a listen and then sell them.
The people who love these are generally not capable of restoring them so will pay good money for having a pair in reliable working condition.
Undoubtedly you will realize enough cash to build something much better as a result.

At least you get to hear them this way before you have to make a decision.

Shoog
Old 4th February 2013, 02:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Restore them. Then decide on the course of action. First the electrolytics, then the carbon resistors (you're down there anyways), maybe new tube sockets, check the joints and traces, and test those tubes... GEC... Wow. How's the corrosion and paint on the chassis?

Buy the giver a cup of tea. Awesome.
Old 4th February 2013, 03:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

They're in excellent condition under the dust and grime. Little bit of tar leakage but that's normal with these. I could get away with cleaning them gently and not repainting them at all I reckon.

There's a pair on eBay in slightly worse condition than these (missing base plate) that are about to sell for over 800 - YIKES!

Still in 2 minds - I don't want to start the restoration and find any nasty (read expensive) surprises... when I could sell them as is - for that much....

....but then.... the tubes.... ah I want to see them glow and sing...

It's a hard decision.
Old 4th February 2013, 03:26 PM   #6
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

A 'good' restoration looks and is mostly original. Loading it with modern parts will work better at the expense of harming value. If you choose to restore it's a good idea to investigate ways that maintain authenticity.
Old 4th February 2013, 03:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yeah, with a restoration, it is mostly about making it work and sound relatively the same way, but with more modern bits. But do all this with safety in mind, I would consider an upgrade in resistors to be metallized or wire wound versus the carbon ones because of temperature drift and safety of it all. Putting NOS 50 year old possibly dried out electrolytics in there is probably a nice thought, but modern electroyltics with a higher temperature rating and voltage rating will clean up the sound (to a degree) and even out the circuit, but again is more about safety. Corroded sockets that can arc over, gassy or worn out tubes that are going to overrun, or crapped out transformers are also not a good thing to have either.

Most of these things listed up there are in the power line side of things, so the audio output side of things (keep the chokes and OPTs if they are still working), that is a whole different matter. If you can keep that as close to spec as possible will still preserve a lot of "that Quad II sound". If your amp has them, then you have to weigh the paper in oil caps versus a modern polyester cap. But again, safety first.

Modification is probably not a good idea if you want to sell it, but safety and updating it is a good idea.

Now that the cart is before the horse, let's decide on the horse; are you going to keep it or not?

Last edited by overtheairbroadcast; 4th February 2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: wording.
Old 4th February 2013, 05:12 PM   #8
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheairbroadcast View Post
Putting NOS 50 year old possibly dried out electrolytics in there is probably a nice thought......
Caps are an example of restoration practices that allow having both. Since modern electrolytics are much smaller than vintage, it's not unusual to slip a new cap into an old PS housing to maintain original visuals.
Personally I would tread carefully with resistors. Potential customers for that Quad II sound might have strong opinions about metal vs carbon. Paper in oil caps are a little easier, Soviet military replacements are all over E-Bay. With all replacements I suggest unsoldering rather than snipping and selling the amp with a baggie of original ju-ju parts.
Old 4th February 2013, 05:24 PM   #9
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

nice !
but you will need effective speakers
I guess preferably simple design
if speaker are not righty, you might even think they sound weird or strange
and don't expect thunder bass
but very refined sound, midrange especially
probably sounds more like a single ended SE than the PP it actually is
and you may need a preamp with some gain
but depends on your source

this seems to be your first post about tube amps
I take you have limited experience, and none with tubes ?
Old 4th February 2013, 07:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Limited = none yes -

I've built Class D stuff and that's about it - but I have a lot of soldering hours under my belt and even build SMD stuff (Metcal Soldering Station and a Hot Air Rework) - this is mostly for RC Drones etc.

So I'm no bad shakes with a schematic and a multimeter - and lets face it - you couldn't get more simple than the schematic of these amps.

If I do restore - it will be as minimal as I can. I'd swap out the resistors for metal film and update the electrolytics to something contemporary. The rest I'd leave alone so long as it is sound.

I feel I would have to update the power socket to a fused IEC and earth the casing - I would not be comfortable with the stock sockets. I'd also change the fuse holders to something modern and safe.

I'd probably leave the jones connectors in and use a converter plug.

I'm just worried that I might start the restoration and find one of the transformers is shot - or a knackered choke... then the cost of restoration suddenly starts to creep up.

Last edited by Katch; 4th February 2013 at 07:16 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!