• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pair Quad II in all original condition... restore or sell

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
finding this thread reminded me that I have a a pair of Quad II's, a control unit and an FM tuner tucked away.
I purchased them almost 30 years ago for a good price but I cannot remember ever firing them up.
I did think about connecting them to a pair of vintage Tannoys I purchased a number of years later. l never did, knowing that old tube stuff can start to make some funny smells and I did not want to damage the speakers in any way.
I went through a serious tube phase way back when the stuff could be picked very cheap.

Many of members want to have this model...
In that condition, wow.
Just clean the dust,
check the generic values at the test points against the schematic
calculate currents to see exact values
check the elements each one resistors value against the original value
(I did and was 40% off even look like new, watch out.)
change power capacitors to block
BUT NOT large value please, 22uF is max (16uF original)
You can use a 6550 or KT88 tubes BUT Rk should be exchange to 250ohm
Instead of GZ32 hard to find tube, and half time faster heating time
I am using 5U4GB (Fivre) with mucho better sound outcome
The best combination I found with EF86 philips or telefunken, KT88, 5U4GB
One thing the sound deeply depending on a input tubes
as far better results i had with Philips and Telefunken models
there is a more
but the vital is to check the voltage points
with a resistor loaded output or loudspeaker
lower pin is ground upper conn is +
Never sell or trade this pair of dual mono amps
cheers

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
All joking aside,

I think the main point is to "still have" a set of Quad amps after any restoration...
Ie if they are modified then only sensible safety and perhaps a little increase in gain...The rebuild should reflect the amp in a good light...can you imagine a set of quads in shocking colours..or pimped up...:D...yes they sound great just like my diy amp...:confused:...all amps sound the same "wire with gain"...:rolleyes: almost as good as my pioneer...:cool:

There was a write up in Valve and Vinyl in 1993 I still have it....it was two rebuilds with Audio Note parts and Russ Andrews parts and a comparison test..
Can't post it because of Copy write..

Regards
M. Gregg

I'm still in an almighty quandary with these - for the moment they are staying put and untouched.

I've had a lot of interested parties contact me by PM and while I appreciate your interest - for the moment these are not for sale. I will of course offer them here first if I go that route but please don't expect me to let them go without adequate remission.

My biggest barrier to keeping them is the lack of suitable speakers to pair them with - although a pair of B&W 685s will be coming my way in time.

I don't doubt my ability to do a good and faithful restoration if I decide to - I have all the tools at my disposal (scope included) not to mention several more qualified friends I can consult (Allen & Heath engineers).

More than anything I would like to at least hear them.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Put them in a box,

For that special day...then when your old and deaf in one ear, you start the rebuild..with a shaky hand the intrepid explorer blows the dust off the tube manual...the solder fumes rise like the phoenix from the ashes....the plug goes in the mains socket...click...the tubes begin to light and...and..A hum yes a slight hum....dufffff..the mains trips because its now all solar power and anything more than 1amp of power costs a thousand pounds a second to run...:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Heh - or I could solder in a load of cheap chinese components and get some of that carbon fibre effect vinyl wrap to cover them in! That would look suhweet!

They are serial numbers in the 60000s and very closely matched - which at my estimate makes them a young pair.

Put them in a box,

For that special day...then when your old and deaf in one ear, you start the rebuild..with a shaky hand the intrepid explorer blows the dust off the tube manual...the solder fumes rise like the phoenix from the ashes....the plug goes in the mains socket...click...the tubes begin to light and...and..A hum yes a slight hum....dufffff..the mains trips because its now all solar power and anything more than 1amp of power costs a thousand pounds a second to run...:D

Regards
M. Gregg

seems pretty much like Nostradamus poems :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
get some of that carbon fibre effect vinyl wrap to cover them in! That would look suhweet!

ditch the input and put a loop Ariel with correct rotation...its the archers...with carbon fibre its bill and teds excellent adventure.

We endeavour to succeed...alas poor Quads we knew them well...unfortunately the gold medallion came in contact with the B+...the carbon fibre created a force field that energised the banana relay and a paradox was created..only music from 78 records can make it past the cheap components so the listener is restricted to

...when i'm calling youuuu..ooohh.oooh .oohhh.ooohhh..here is the answer toooo...zzzzzzzzspit..:confused:..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Just bumping this as the plot has thickened slightly;

I've now un-earthed and been donated;

Quad 22
Quad 33
Quad FM
Quad 303

! ! !

I've got all the original cabling for the Quad IIs and 22 Preamp

The 33 is boxed but in need of TLC

The FM also has some funky multiplex thing-a-me.

So I guess I should make a start trying to get some of this back in running condition. I'm going to recap the 303 and 33 preamp first (I know - wrong forum for those)

Then I'm going to look at the IIs and the 22

For the Quad IIs I'm planning to replace R1 - R13 with metal film resistors and then C2 & C3 with Russian PIO and C1 & C5 with polyprops.

I'm hoping my smoothing caps are going to be ok as I'd rather not mess with them - I'm also hoping the chokes and transformers are alive.

After the resistors and recap I'm going to bring them up slowly on a dim bulb tester and see what happens.

What are peoples thoughts on my plan of action? Metal film a good choice or should I go for carbon?

Should I hope and pray for the smoothing caps or should I look at replacing them?

My aim with this pair is to bring them and the 22 in to as close to original state as possible.

I say restore them .
A pair in my collection.
New acryl

Attachments

• quad.jpg
    quad.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 88
  • quad 2.jpg
    quad 2.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 84
Just bumping this as the plot has thickened slightly;

I've now un-earthed and been donated;

Quad 22
Quad 33
Quad FM
Quad 303

! ! !

Well, ain't that a treat. These thing just happen to fall from the sky in the U.K. don't they?

Well, I am jealous. All I get is a relatively beaten up 33 and 303 that do work (which I still have to get 100% running with a nice new recap and maybe a change of the variable resistors).

Congratulations nonetheless. You will be in awe when you open the 33 and see what a proper wiring job looks like (perfect square bends in mine and it made it look like I was staring at a wiring diagram).

What is next? The electrostatic speakers to follow?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.