• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cheap Red LED bias on ecc83/12ax7

Case 2 I pump additional external current through the LED and resistor for better LED performance.
You'll get negligible improvement in performance so there's little point doing that. Nevertheless, if you did somehow have 1mA in the secondary it likely wouldn't cause a problem anyway since the secondary has few turns, but you could put a blocking cap in the feedback path.

Last edited:
Cathode resistor in the tube circuit does provide a little local immediately (not loop) corrective feedback, albeit at a loss in gain. The LED does not allow much in the way of this kind of feedback since it fixes the cathode voltage. If you need all the gain you can get, then the diode is the way to go.

Hi, I'm just testing now the bias led on an AR SP3/6 clone, on the V2 (ecc83) gain tube, before the CF.
So, in your opinion, for the "best sound" a resistor is always better than a pair of 1n4148? And diode (like 1n4148) is better of Led?
The slightly less gain of the resistor doesn't matter to me.
I also think I have read the option of putting an R in series with the diodes (or with the LEDs), in my case a pair of 1n4148.
Did I read that right?
In doing so, you have the advantage of the diodes (or LEDs) and also of the resistor?
What appropriate value should the additional resistor have? Always if I understand correctly!

PS: In the photo an ir led with added current (4.5mA) from b +. Total current about 5.1 / 5.2mA. But I think they sound better 2x 1n4148!

Thanks

So, in your opinion, for the "best sound" a resistor is always better than a pair of 1n4148? And diode (like 1n4148) is better of Led?

Did I read that right?
In doing so, you have the advantage of the diodes (or LEDs) and also of the resistor?
What appropriate value should the additional resistor have? Always if I understand correctly!

PS: In the photo an ir led with added current (4.5mA) from b +. Total current about 5.1 / 5.2mA. But I think they sound better 2x 1n4148!

https://ibb.co/vqxGjZq
Thanks

interesting...... well to translate between a resistor and a lamp, you only need to know how much the normal voltage drop is across the resistor ; and line that up with the normal [voltage-forward] of the lamp or other diodes...

now, as far as what combo sounds better, just use what ever sounds best to your ear.........

I've been trying C3D02060F SIC diodes, for example 2 with a 53R resistor in series. I can't really live with them, useful as they are, since I hear a slight edge which grates on me. Orchestral strings are grainy and voices a little edgy. However slight the edge, and I think adding a resistor helps, it's not as good as an unbypassed resistor so that remains the ideal. Haven't tried red LED or 1N4148.