• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Please Help: 6CJ3 Damper Diode Tube as Rectifier Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While the forward drop in damper diodes is relatively small, it is still quite large in comparison to SS. Therefore, build the 4 diode bridge out of 2X "noiseless", high PIV, Schottky diodes on the "cold" side and a pair of damper diodes on the "hot" side. The sonic signature of the hybrid bridge is totally dominated by the vacuum diodes.

Added benefits of the hybrid bridge are reduced heater current requirements and avoidance of heater to cathode potential limit trouble.

Thank you Thomas.

Also, thank you Eli for the tip. I will consider it.

My power transformer has center tap. See picture.

I need ~1300VDC to the power tube.
Could you tell me whether the diode or bridge configuration is better ?

Attachments

• Freed 1400V PT.jpg
    Freed 1400V PT.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 1,238
Hi!

Nice power transformer. If I interpret the spec correctly, it is 1400V across the entire secondary (700-0-700V). In that case, you can get about 800-900V with a 2 diode full wave rectifier. To obtain 1300VDC you will have to use a bridge. Use a choke input filter with a small cap before the first choke to adjust the voltage you need.

If you want to use 4 tubes, you will have to use at least 3 separate heater windings to keep heater-cathode voltages within limits. Or use Elis suggestion and connect the heaters of the tubes to B+. Watch the peak inverse voltage on the semiconductor diodes in that case! You will need to use several in series. You can use PSUD simulation to determine the peak inverse voltage and the size of the first cap to get your results

Thomas

My amp has ONE filament transformer to run all 4 6CJ3 tubes.

Thomas has already explained that you can't run all 4 heaters of a vacuum bridge off the same filament winding. So, you must use a hybrid bridge. The easiest way is to use a series connected pair of UF4007s in each of the bridge's "cold" side legs. As UFnnnn diodes produce a tiny amount of switching noise, snub each SS diode pair with a HIGH WVDC 0.01 μF. capacitor.

Last edited:
I attached the 6CJ3 datasheet.

If heater cathode voltages are exceeded in a circuit, the tube doesn't necessarily fail immediately. It can work for some time and then develop a heater-cathode short. Make sure you are within the limits!
Are you referring to:
Heater positive to cathode at 100V ?
Heater negative to cathode at 900V ?

Attachments

• 6CJ3.pdf
    182.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.