• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6as7/6080 Se Otl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
revintage said:
To make this cicuit work you have to take out max currents through the 6080s which means their workingpoint should be Ia 125mA, Ua 100V.

You should also use a choke or a CCS from the cathodes to ground. A B+ of 130-170V will do.

Every triode has an theoretical (simplified 1/Gm)Rout of ca 140ohms, so adding a separate 10 ohm to each one will not make you loose so much. Without NFB Zout will be high anyway.

If going for a 8ohm load I would suggest using at least 5 but preferably 10 6080s/channel.

I suggested using a CCS some time ago.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91200

However, there was concern that oscillation would (had) occured.
Maybe a CCS per cathode?

Andy

To be honest, I could not see why a CCS would cause oscillation and instability as it is well used, as you say in Pass designs.

And as you say, cost is minimal !!!

So far, I have not had chance to try anything due to work. ( I am now 200km off the east coast of India ! )

Andy

Hey Fuling,
As I know you are keen to try new solutions, have you tried CCSs?

My (theoretical) idea is that one could lower B+ to consist of 100V over the 6080s, the negative swing at decided load and the voltage drop over the CCS.

So a std 115V secondary transformer should be sufficient.

This is a theoretical model of what I mean. Simmed it works well. Stole the CCS from Pass Zen and turned it upside down and changed P to N;) !

Almost like it is too simple as the grids are at ground level. 12,5W through each 6080. At 5% THD output is 12W/16ohm and 6W/8ohm. At 1% THD output is 2,5W/16ohm and 0,5W/8ohm

Attachments

• 6080ten.png
    6080ten.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 828
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.