• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6as7/6080 Se Otl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry Simon, didn´t see your question.

It is not possible as the phase is opposite at the grid. If we connect feedback to the cathode it will be PFB. Because of this I drew the second one.

You can see it as a CF with DC-coupling to a grounded grid amp. So still just one amplifying stage inside the feedback loop. Can´t think of a simpler way to do it, sorry.

Thanks. Just asking because of the ammendability of such a circuit would be just within my range of skills; a few sections less/channel would have suited my 6080 stock better. Anyhow, since the tubes probably need to be matched tightly only selection from a large stock or buying matched would be options. I might give your circuit a go later on; the current and heat involved are borderline terrifying :bigeyes:

Thx again -- Simon

Fuling, how would the simplest possible PSU for a monblock SE OTL with 5x6080, B+ 135-140V at 1,25A look?

I would definitely use a C-multiplier based on IRFP460 or similar.
Nice slow upstart and with 15-20V to drop the output would be very clean. Let me know if you need parts, I have some stuff that might be interesting for you.

hope you guys like

Attachments

• otl1.jpg
    otl1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 513
Nicelooking, classic breadboard! Shouldn´t be to hard to try in mono with all 6080s in parallell. To draw more current through the tubes the two 40ohms resistors have two be changed. What are the 6080 voltages now: Ua, Uc and in the junction of the two 40ohms?

You could actually adopt the 6SN7 for the grounded grid configuration but with lower senstivity. My guess is in the ballpark 2Vrms for full output. Though if a double-triode should be used, my candidate is 6N1P.

I have 109vdc on the plates of the 6AS7's and 490mA per side (3 tubes in parallel per side). The driver tube (6SN7) is receiving the 210vdc to the 100k and 22k plate resistors as designed. The 6AS7's are a little low voltage wise (109vdc as opposed to 135vdc) but I doubt that is causing the distortion and volume control problem posted earlier. I am sure it is the input sensitivity causing that issue. Overall current drawing on the whole amp is 980mA.

Comments are welcome before I pull this apart and build the next one which I reposted here.

Attachments

• 6080nfb.png
    6080nfb.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 432
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.