• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

up-to-date El Cheapo schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A 6V6 family tube was desired for the "finals". The 12AQ5 was settled on, for its low price. Any 6V6 family tube works with the parts values shown in the schematic.

The B- rail could have been quite a bit "shorter". What was settled on came (you guessed it) from cost considerations. The fact that the B- supply is technically nice is a bonus.

As for "fixed" bias versions of the basic topology, refer to Poindexter's "Musical Machine". Poinz was 1st with this style of 2 stage amp and MUCH was learned from his efforts. The "Musical Machine" is an all out, cost be damned, assault on performance. "El Cheapo" is a budget project that performs far better than the money spent suggests would happen. While inexpensive, the PSU is anything but cheap.

How many watts per channel does a stock El Cheapo put out (say, with Edcor transformers)?

Approx. 6 WPC for triode and 12 WPC for UL. Some variation will occur depending on B+ rail voltage and selected O/P "iron".

Dynaclone Z565s are the "Gold Standard" for O/P trafos, in an "El Cheapo". Edcor's CXPP25-MS-8K is certainly hefty enough for UL mode. Stick strictly to triode mode, when low cost guitar amp "iron" is used.

Sorry...

I didn't want to bring back to life an old thread but I had to ask: did someone build an El Cheapo "on steroids" ? With EL84m or 6P14P-ev , higher voltage, fixed bias and MOSFET buffer (ZVN0545A, FQPF2N80...) between LTP and OT ?
If this is the case, is the schematic very different from post 20?
Thanks
Pierre

Frankly my goal isn't the max power but getting a bit over 15WPC shouldn't be too difficult with two 6P14P-ev in push-pull. I'd like to use vintage irons from old amps like PACO SA-40, Pioneer SX-82 or Kenwood KW-70 (real mess under the hood!) I saw recently ( actually these amps are supposed to be fully functionnal at decent price). Maybe I'll make a move but I'm not ready right now to build the El Cheapo.

Pierre, are you "looking" to squeeze 20 WPC out of the 7189 equivalents, as Sherwood did in their S5000? If so, you will need hefty O/P "iron" that can handle upwards of 35 W. The GNFB loop mandates that, in order to avoid core saturation. Edcor's CXPP50-8K is suitable.
I've seen a pair of EL84Ms producing close to that at 420V. IMO hefty OP iron is always to be recommended, for best linearity and frequency response.

The easy way is to DC couple the FET to the driving triode's plate and cap. couple the FET to the driven O/P tube. All that's needed here is the impedance transform, as positive grid current is not in the picture.

The tweaked RCA phono setup shows the way.

Attachments

• Full Tweaked RCA Phono Stage.jpg
    Full Tweaked RCA Phono Stage.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 560
Oh yes! it's similar to Powerdrive from Tubelab (FET source follower). I used a 2sk3564 at the time to build a 45 SE. My God! I'm not really a tech guy...
Eli, BTW I prefer to use something a bit "beefy" like FQPF2N60C (or equivalent) than ZVN0545A. Since I use 6P14P-EV, the voltage could go over 400V.
Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.