John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Looks like you're in over your head there Richard! You did a really good thing, couldn't have worked out any better. The best investment you could have made because she will really benefit from the education you have set up for her.

:D

-Chris

Yes I am. My best investment ever ---- She wants to be an EE ! And,.already knows she wants to go for her MS. I better get those audio power amps fast -- may be the last thing I can afford. If she cruises thru BS and MS then i'm in it for her Phd. Not really complaining, though. She's just 19. Still a kid in many ways. She is really going to like University education and be with older people and modern culture/world. I have been intensely mentoring her in life for so long, I dont know what to do with myself after she leaves to Australia next month and gets on with her life and career.

:) :cool:

-Richard

Last edited:
Yes I am. My best investment ever ---- She wants to be an EE ! And,.already knows she wants to go for her MS. I better get those audio power amps fast -- may be the last thing I can afford. If she cruises thru BS and MS then i'm in it for her Phd. Not really complaining, though. She's just 19. Still a kid in many ways. She is really going to like University education and be with older people and modern culture/world. I have been intensely mentoring her in life for so long, I dont know what to do with myself after she leaves to Australia next month and gets on with her life and career.

:) :cool:

-Richard
Hi Richard,
I am impressed what you do, nicest thing to help and lead someone through the life.

As I understood the factory sent first finished amplifier for review. Are they going to produce some more for selling except those two for you?
BR, Damir

RNM,

Do I understand this correctly, you have a woman in your life who has you wrapped around here little finger, she is smarter than you and you are happy about it? :)

My expectation is that PHD students receive a stipend and tuition remission. A bit lesser known is that you do not need an MS or even a BS to enter a PHD program.

Congrats.

Ed, that's not even remotely true under all but the most extreme of circumstances. And then we're talking about getting in without an undergraduate degree, which does exist but whom I've never met. Most technical degrees get some form of stipend and tuition, but I went through dry funding periods where my stipend was well below my meager cost of living. I left grad school in a worse state of finances than when I entered. My circumstances were not terribly unusual. The arts and humanities are even worse funded.

Not to take away from iq, but a bright young lady with a strong work ethic will go far, and doesn't need a number pinned to her to do that.

Ed, that's not even remotely true under all but the most extreme of circumstances.

I've seen a few math prodigies, but this manifests very early in life. I had a classmate that tried at MIT, he was brilliant and one of those cases you read about. Even intervention by the head of the pure math department could not make it happen so he left to join Vista and we never heard from him again.

Here's a famous one but there is a story, in fact MIT could deny you a BS if you can't swim. Barry Mazur - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Not to take away from iq, but a bright young lady with a strong work ethic will go far, and doesn't need a number pinned to her to do that.

You are right... the test was for me and not her. She doesnt know about IQ fortunately. Means little close to nothing to her. First clue i got was her teacher said look at the microscope and draw a picture of it as accurately as possible and it looked like Picasso did it. Thats how her brain works :eek: No wonder she does well in mathematics and abstract thinking.

I explained it meant how quickly you learn concepts and ideas and can solve problems. Speed. But that determination, grit and focus, hard work are the main ingredients in success. So she is an ultra fast learner 0.01% in population. Already gives me hard time. And, I have hard time saying no to her. On top of it all, she is an Alpha personality. What an unusual study she is.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi Richard,
I am impressed what you do, nicest thing to help and lead someone through the life.

As I understood the factory sent first finished amplifier for review. Are they going to produce some more for selling except those two for you?
BR, Damir

I asked that question also just last week. They said yes they will build more. Waiting for money to come in. I paid in advance, of course.

-Richard

The pig stuff was first talked about what 20 years ago. Glad they are over hurdles (although there are still some worries over disease transfer I believe). I always wondered if you get to keep the rest of the pig? Here is your new heart, would you like the rest as chops or bacon. And would it be like eating yourself?

Hats off to the guys working on this though
Just the thought of it makes me feel sick

You are right... the test was for me and not her. She doesnt know about IQ fortunately. Means little close to nothing to her. First clue i got was her teacher said look at the microscope and draw a picture of it as accurately as possible and it looked like Picasso did it. Thats how her brain works :eek: No wonder she does well in mathematics and abstract thinking.

I explained it meant how quickly you learn concepts and ideas and can solve problems. Speed. But that determination, grit and focus, hard work are the main ingredients in success. So she is an ultra fast learner 0.01% in population. Already gives me hard time. And, I have hard time saying no to her. On top of it all, she is an Alpha personality. What an unusual study she is.

THx-RNMarsh

I wish the very best for your lovely young lady. I was pretty inspired by a number of my students when I taught undergraduate classes. Those are the ones I couldn't help but want to see succeed.

Ed, that's not even remotely true under all but the most extreme of circumstances. And then we're talking about getting in without an undergraduate degree, which does exist but whom I've never met. Most technical degrees get some form of stipend and tuition, but I went through dry funding periods where my stipend was well below my meager cost of living. I left grad school in a worse state of finances than when I entered. My circumstances were not terribly unusual. The arts and humanities are even worse funded.

Folks I am familiar with start as an undergraduate and have ended up with a PHD in five years total. Doesn't happen often. But it has happened. Not sure why your school didn't give an adequate stipend. You are not expected to get rich, but you are expected to be able to devote all your time and energy to your thesis project.

Little brother was an undergraduate at one institution while teaching courses at another. As I recall there were some graduate level ones. Yes it was a special program.

I think I mentioned before one cousin had 3 PhDs. Gotta start young.

One branch of the family doesn't believe in focusing rather everyone should be well rounded. No PhDs there.

Ed, there was a recession, which meant all funding, both private and public dried up and didn't really reboot in time to help me. We grad students took a heavy hit as result. Similarly, most universities are accepting more Ph.D's than they can decently support, and that pot is pretty zero-sum (not totally, but still)

Your analogies about degrees are so far from the norm that I can't really comment past that. Agree the juxtaposition between well-rounded and Ph.D level focus. Ironically, I went the route of having a thesis be more like a bunch of MS lumped together (breadth) rather than absolute depth. But that's me.

Derfy,

Around here a full professor who can't get the grants to keep his students going is strongly frowned upon. The university not only shows some concern about the students, but they also want the tution.

Of course that is for science and engineering.

Of course almost everyone follows the normal progression, but not everyone.

Last edited:
Ed -- strongly frowned upon or not, there was/are a lot of funding shortages. A LOT. And we're talking very senior faculty with very good bona fides. I'm trying to tell you boots-on-the-ground experience. I don't think it's too far a stretch to say that I'm a bit more attuned with friends scattered across all kinds of the the big-name universities in the US. (Insert jazz hands here, I'm not claiming to be special).

Mark -- yeah, it's a crazy program for sure. I thought really hard about it (I *still* think about it), but was too chicken to commit to the prereq's/application to do it. Not that the barrier to entry is low or anything...

Otto Binder who wrote so much great comic sci-fi I can't remember them all.

I attended night classes at three different schools, but never obtained a degree, being short too many credits at the time, also short of money. But NASA, on contracting me as a writer in 1965 for one year, to write high school educational material on the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs, told me this in effect gave me an honorary MS degree (for my long background in science articles and for the editorship of Space World magazine). Also, the Goddard Space Flight Center of NASA offered me a post as public relations technical writer on the basis of my qualifications being roughly equivalent to a master's. I can, today, teach science in any high school if I wish, but not college. Among the various courses I took in college were advanced, quantitative, and organic chemistry, aiming for a chemical engineering degree, or advanced chemical research.

Status
Not open for further replies.