John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi phase,
Have you compared performance between current output and voltage outputs when the DAC allows a choice between them?

Differences between how the designer treats the audio signal from the converter on forward makes a massive difference in how it sounds. That's why machines using the same DAC can sound so different.

-Chris

I haven’t, have always thought that the device was optimized for one or the other.

It would be interesting to have the time to expiriment with different circuits...

Not RF coupling to the brain, no need to make things up. In either case don't you and Mr. B have an answer for instant improvement?
"Magnetic coupling is employed to drive the implanted cochlear electrode array."
I wasn't suggesting that the stimulation is direct to brain via magnetic coupling.
I am saying the coupling to the implanted module is via air (skin) coupled transformer.....BTW the permanent magnet is to keep the external coil in place only.

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Sorry you are wrong or misinformed my friend is an engineer and we have talked at length about this. Read the links please get over it you are wrong.

i know what a cochlear implant is. My mother and older sister are deaf (not from birth though) most of their life and I have been closely involved most of my life in the issues. I will see Charles this Sept at my home and tell you more about it.

Not interested in obtaining debate points. For the point i made, it doesnt matter the how or technology.... still is the future direction.

-Richard

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
"Magnetic coupling is employed to drive the implanted cochlear electrode array."
I wasn't suggesting that the stimulation is direct to brain via magnetic coupling.
I am saying the coupling to the implanted module is via air (skin) coupled transformer.....BTW the permanent magnet is to keep the external coil in place only.

Dan.

yes, Max... that seems to be closer to what might be happening.

-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yeah, it can easily be RF to the implant, but I can't see how you could stimulate the cochlear nerve alone effectively without an implant.

yes there is probably an 'implant'... i assumed Cochlear Implant as used in past for replacement of defective one. Some people are born without that part and/or ear drum. But anything implanted is an implant. Maybe we could even say an artificial heart is an implant. This device has external coupling... maybe magnetic.

Or it could be called a receiver or sensor whose output signal stimulates nerves to the brain. A signal coupled to the recvr/sensor doesnt have to be connected to an ear drum. Could not if patient doesnt have one.

A Biosafety Comparison Between Capacitive and Inductive Coupling in Biomedical Implants - IEEE Journals & Magazine

Such sensors could be 'implanted' anywhere and used to replace eyes and ears and whose output goes to the brain (via nerve attachment). But who is to say we cant make synthetic nerves as well to attach to our artificial sensors? For people with cut or damaged nerves. Its all possible and the future will make use of such advances. Printed organs. No more waiting for donors. Its right around the corner. Hey, even an artificial kidney powered by the hearts blood pressure alone. :)
Damn.... Most retired now will miss it all.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
yes there is probably an 'implant'... i assumed Cochlear Implant as used in past for replacement of defective one. Some people are born without that part and/or ear drum. But anything implanted is an implant. Maybe we could even say an artificial heart is an implant. This device has external coupling... maybe magnetic.

Or it could be called a receiver or sensor whose output signal stimulates nerves to the brain. A signal coupled to the recvr/sensor doesnt have to be connected to an ear drum. Could not if patient doesnt have one.

A Biosafety Comparison Between Capacitive and Inductive Coupling in Biomedical Implants - IEEE Journals & Magazine

Such sensors could be 'implanted' anywhere and used to replace eyes and ears and whose output goes to the brain (via nerve attachment). But who is to say we cant make synthetic nerves as well to attach to our artificial sensors? For people with cut or damaged nerves. Its all possible and the future will make use of such advances. Printed organs. No more waiting for donors. Its right around the corner. Hey, even an artificial kidney powered by the hearts blood pressure alone. :)
Damn.... Most retired now will miss it all.

THx-RNMarsh

Even I will miss the really cool things.

I have worked with a group doing an artificial heart actually. Not something you'll forget is an implant with the tubes coming out of your chest, along with the sound of the pneumatic drive.

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Cool research but from an incubator looking for funding to clinical trials will be a while. And most of the research in 3D printing is for animal free burgers for some strange reason. Go figure!

I dont agree. There is a lot of research in do this with 3-printing methods to make organs. I think ... it is right around the corner. 4-5 years is to me just that corner. When ever, but it IS coming.

-RNM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.