John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
my point. even if they had a viable kidney on the slab, how many years of animal trials are required before the first human test? (honest question than Daniel might know).

That depends on where it is done. Some procedures were developed in countries with less patient protection and when the process was perfected, patented and liscensed around the world.

"Dr. Fyodorov, a Russian doctor, first applied the concepts of “Refractive Surgery”, in a well researched manner, way back in 1970."

As to kidneys in particular...

"India, Jordan and Mexico are the top international centers for having a kidney transplant, thanks to the low cost of the procedure, no waiting lines, and availability of expert nephrologists and ultra-modern hospitals. Patients going to India for kidney transplant must be accompanied by the living donor, who must also be a family member, like father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, or spouse."

As to a new kidney, it is a bit more complicated... Is it possible to grow a kidney? – Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis

Personally I expect the research to focus in more on which part of the kidney is failing and supplementing those cells.

Until then I will keep track of my creatinine levels. The nephrologists around here seem to only want to see you if it is above 400.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
my point. even if they had a viable kidney on the slab, how many years of animal trials are required before the first human test? (honest question than Daniel might know).

maybe. It isnt like a drug with unknown affects on unsuspecting people. No transplant rejection issues. No blood type matching etc etc. I think it will come faster than you think. There are other means.. artificial kidney for example is ready to go soon also.... mechanical filter device....

Simon -- i'd get a second opinion on that creatinine level. The reference range is .75-1.18 mg/dl.

-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
That depends on where it is done.

As to kidneys in particular...

"India, Jordan and Mexico are the top international centers for having a kidney transplant, thanks to the low cost of the procedure, no waiting lines, and availability of expert nephrologists and ultra-modern hospitals. Patients going to India for kidney transplant must be accompanied by the living donor, who must also be a family member, like father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, or spouse."

As to a new kidney, it is a bit more complicated... Is it possible to grow a kidney? – Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis

You are correct about the low cost over in Asia/India. I checked it to be $17K in India. In USA $300-500K. And not any better. The problem is there needs to be a match of at least 6 of 12 factors from donor. Even relatives and family may not match well enough. Like in my family, I am only one with 0- blood type.

But a new 3D made or mechanical filter made.... None of the limited donor pool and waiting years and being on dialysis for years while waiting for a donor match. If ever. It will be a boon to medicine and it is coming sooner than later.

THx-RNMarsh

You are correct about the low cost over in Asia/India. I checked it to be $17K in India. In USA $300-500K. And not any better. The problem is there needs to be a match of at least 6 of 12 factors from donor. Even relatives and family may not match well enough. Like in my family, I am only one with 0- blood type.

But a new 3D made or mechanical filter made.... None of the limited donor pool and waiting years and being on dialysis for years while waiting for a donor match. If ever. It will be a boon to medicine and it is coming sooner than later.

THx-RNMarsh

When it gets to the point where dialysis is required it seems Peritoneal dialysis is the closest to handling it yourself with pretty much no down time. But you do have to drain things several times a day.

Doesn't seem too unreasonable with a bit of advances and incentives it can become internal rather than the current external.

With my luck, they will solve all the issues the day after...

maybe. It isnt like a drug with unknown affects on unsuspecting people. No transplant rejection issues. No blood type matching etc etc. I think it will come faster than you think. There are other means.. artificial kidney for example is ready to go soon also.... mechanical filter device....

Simon -- i'd get a second opinion on that creatinine level. The reference range is .75-1.18 mg/dl.

-RNM

My typo! 4.00 mg/dl is their worry level. Normal for a kidney donor after donation can be 1.80 mg/dl.

But of interest is the limit to accuracy (N.I.H.)

"The MDRD Equation
The following is the IDMS-traceable MDRD Study equation (for creatinine methods calibrated to an IDMS reference method)

GFR (mL/min/1.73 m2) = 175 × (Scr)-1.154 × (Age)-0.203 × (0.742 if female) × (1.212 if African American)

The equation does not require weight or height variables because the results are reported normalized to 1.73 m2 body surface area, which is an accepted average adult surface area.

The equation has been validated extensively in Caucasian and African American populations between the ages of 18 and 70* with impaired kidney function (eGFR < 60 mL/min/1.73 m2) and has shown good performance for patients with all common causes of kidney disease.

*The equation has not been validated in patients older than 70, but an MDRD-derived eGFR may still be a useful tool for providers caring for patients older than 70."

For a GFR correction

Body Surface Area Calculator

Then GFR x Body surface / 1.73 !

Hooooooo boy, I honestly don't know.

This is about as close as I know: Scientists grow bullish on pig-to-human transplants | Science | AAAS

(Don't think it's behind the paywall)

This stuff is really hard, guys. Like my work in diagnostics is child's play versus growing up organs and such. Or at least is seems like it. :)

I use to live in Missoula MT and talked to someone that used dialysis there, back in the day, when DIY was the only local option. It was that or travel to Spokane constantly. I guess when the local medical facilities starting getting their own machines everyone was pretty thrilled. One of the benefits of the commercially produced machines at the time was that they could use needles that weren't large enough to pass TicTacs - that their DIY cousins used.

Joined 2014
Paid Member

The pig stuff was first talked about what 20 years ago. Glad they are over hurdles (although there are still some worries over disease transfer I believe). I always wondered if you get to keep the rest of the pig? Here is your new heart, would you like the rest as chops or bacon. And would it be like eating yourself?

Hats off to the guys working on this though

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
GFR (mL/min/1.73 m2) = 175 × (Scr)-1.154 × (Age)-0.203 × (0.742 if female) × (1.212 if African American)

The equation has been validated extensively in Caucasian and African American populations between the ages of 18 and 70* with impaired kidney function (eGFR < 60 mL/min/1.73 m2) and has shown good performance for patients with all common causes of kidney disease.

*The equation has not been validated in patients older than 70, but an MDRD-derived eGFR may still be a useful tool for providers caring for patients older than 70."

For a GFR correction

Body Surface Area Calculator

Then GFR x Body surface / 1.73 !

You know your **** on this. The formula is an estimate. also called eGFR (GFiltration Rate).

The REAL GFR is measured and not calculated. However it requires you to collect 100% of your pee in 24 hour period and they measure several things about it in lab. The eGFR is often on the low side. I found out a couple weeks ago in Bangkok where they do the real number method and got about 28% higher GFR. :) That's fairly poor estimate with so many variables/tolerances. Ball-park only or to see relative decline rate since last eGFR.

Hey! i am going to the Magnet Tech factory and see how far along my CFA amps are and how they are coming together. :)

THx-Richard

Last edited:
You know your **** on this. The formula is an estimate. also called eGFR (GFiltration Rate).

The REAL GFR is measured and not calculated. However it requires you to collect 100% of your pee in 24 hour period and they measure several things about it in lab. The eGFR is often on the low side. I found out a couple weeks ago in Bangkok where they do the real number method and got about 28% higher GFR. :) That's fairly poor estimate with so many variables/tolerances. Ball-park only or to see relative decline rate since last eGFR.

Hey! i am going to the Magnet Tech factory and see how far along my CFA amps are and how they are coming together. :)

THx-Richard

Great, that you got a better measurement! 28% can be the difference between dialysis and just drinking more water! I am counting on you to outlive Waly!

Almost all the best. (I'll save the rest for if and when you need it.)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Waly? Is he still alive and kicking?

yes, that's a great motivator. :)

[we love you Waly]

-Richard

I have to wait until Wed on amp... they have holiday... Not looking forward to returning to a smoke filled air.... tempted to stay until the rest of Calif burns down and no chance of any more smoke.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Thanks, looking forward to some explicit photos :D

Over here (in the South) it has been raining, I don't really notice a difference.
I have only been here about 4 years, perhaps it is very different for people that have been here a longer time.

Seems everywhere in the region is monsoon rains but not Bangkok for some strange reason. Been here almost 3 months by the time I return to the ashes of California. It rained briefly twice. I have been coming here for 15-20 years. Not normal at all.

-RM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.