Killer Robots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Remote controlled drones are used in combat scenarios.
Will only be a question of time before they figure out it's easier to use something without any conscience. No post traumatic stress, no sick leave, no personal issues.

Just hope they make them with big blind zones, and there's a big red button that says: Cut power.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
The interesting part is, and it's the same with self driving vehicles - what would a human do? The article does make the point that machines may make better, more consistent, decisions than humans.
As far as I can see, a part of military training to to train conscience out of troops, and make them machine like - just follow orders!

I love the attitude of "don't worry, they can only do xxx now".

Where was the state of art for robots 10 years ago, 20 y ears ago? Same for AI.

Now extrapolate 10 years in the future, 20 years?

Certainly we are not there today, but the technology will advance. The only question is how fast.

20 years is within my probable lifetime.

It's not paranoia, when someone really is out to get you. Tesla is deeply involved in the application of expert systems to autonomous driving. Perhaps Mr. Musk has extrapolated the pace of development in his own endeavor.

The point is that an expert system, or Artificial Intelligence that can train itself is unmanageable, and cannot be predicted.

People act as the "kill switch" on armed UAV.

Having a deadly, self driving "landmine" that can linger indefinitely in an armed state has long been the subject of warnings by futurists.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
"Elon Musk is a time traveler from the future who is getting rich by pretending to invent future technology, but is also warning us about the future deadly killer robot wars that caused him to flee to the past in the first place."

Musk confirmed this to be the case.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Tomahawk (missile) - Wikipedia a lot were fired over the years. And yes, they are a bit rapid. Only just subsonic! I still can't work out how they did the nav systems with the tech of the time. I suspect those who know ain't telling.

Here is the quote I remember from the time.

[FONT=arial, helvetica]"We were looking out of our window, out of our fifth-floor room in the hotel, when a missile passed by on the line of the road on which the hotel stands...and it just went straight down the road. Where it was aimed for, I do not know." John Simpson, BBC Foreign Affairs Editor - Baghdad, 1991.[/FONT]

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Tomahawk (missile) - Wikipedia a lot were fired over the years. And yes, they are a bit rapid. Only just subsonic! I still can't work out how they did the nav systems with the tech of the time. I suspect those who know ain't telling.

Here is the quote I remember from the time.

[FONT=arial, helvetica]"We were looking out of our window, out of our fifth-floor room in the hotel, when a missile passed by on the line of the road on which the hotel stands...and it just went straight down the road. Where it was aimed for, I do not know." John Simpson, BBC Foreign Affairs Editor - Baghdad, 1991.[/FONT]

GPS was really in its infancy then - but didn't the US Defence Dept. dumb the resolution down for commercial users?

I seem to recall seeing something on Discovery about early (i.e. from 25 or 30 years ago) guidance systems being inertial and then using terrain recognition once they were close to the target. Might also be they were using high flying 'observer' craft that were illuminating targets. I don't know how with 1991 tech they could pull a trick like the one John Simpson mentions above.

1991 - seems like a lifetime ago - incredible how tech has progressed since then.

How's this scenario, ultimately both sides in a conflict would use robots until all the robots on the losing side were destroyed, then what? Would the humans whose robots were no more hold up their hands and say "ok, you won" ?

Or the robots face off, approach each other, shake hands (like the Scots and Irish in Braveheart) and proceed to kill the people to avoid sacrificing themselves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.