Killer Robots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The interesting part is, and it's the same with self driving vehicles - what would a human do? The article does make the point that machines may make better, more consistent, decisions than humans.
As far as I can see, a part of military training to to train conscience out of troops, and make them machine like - just follow orders!

This is a good point - why assume that a human would be 'better'?

Remember those video's of the helicopter gunner shooting up a bunch of guys because he thought he saw an RPG launcher that turned out to be a camera; they were journalists. Chances are that a robot, being not excited, unemotional and with camera vision would have recognized the cameras and had not killed the innocent bystanders.

Jan

Or the robots face off,
That part has been done already.

Bronco-vs-Stinger-3-450x300.jpg

BattleBots - Wikipedia

This is a good point - why assume that a human would be 'better'?

Remember those video's of the helicopter gunner shooting up a bunch of guys because he thought he saw an RPG launcher that turned out to be a camera; they were journalists. Chances are that a robot, being not excited, unemotional and with camera vision would have recognized the cameras and had not killed the innocent bystanders.

Jan

Nothing I like better than killing without emotion! ;)

Here we go:

How a Self-Driving Uber Killed a Pedestrian in Arizona - The New York Times

I think killer robot fears might be some kind of projection of our own guilt for being just as bad and heartless to the world as we fear these robots might be to us in the future.

The big misunderstanding I think is that there will be two things: humans and robots. This is just stage I. The path of history suggests we will merge, integrating more and more technology into our biology until the line separating human and machine is unclear.

Suggested reading:

Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari

My take is that unfortunately the next century or so will give Philip K Dick a place in history as a future forecaster rather than a science fiction writer.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.