Deep Thoughts..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And a thoroughly disgusting human. In many ways a person who strives to be the opposite of something they hate, in her case the system she grew up under, can become a monster of the opposite nature.

That's funny, after the usual indoctrination I grew to be amused by the religious fervor of the objectivists and their childlike approach to philosophy. Made me some unfriends which in the long run didn't matter to much. More sad than disgusting especially the dipping into the SS system at end of life, I mean the books sold millions of copies where was her agent?

Heh. Just bought my very first bicycle helmet last week. Figured at age 60, I've pushed my luck far enough. Looked predictably stupid for about the first 5 minutes, after which I stopped caring.

One interesting finding: I tend to say hi, or at least nod to the people I pass on the bike path, with varying results. (Yeah, I'm one of those guys - sue me.)
Previously, wearing only my baseball cap, I seemed to get more acknowledgement from the other old cap-wearing dudes, and just a curt nod (if that) from the Spandex/helmeted crowd. Now that situation is reversed - I get noticeably more rhythm from the carbon-fiber iron men, and near-palpable contempt from the regular joes. Can't we all just get along?

P.S. Meanwhile, the women seem to be ignoring me at essentially the same rate as always.

I'm one of those "spandex clad heroes", and I promise you that a huge portion of them are quite friendly, if not an odd bunch. The subtle nod is a proper hello, but easy to miss. :) The women ignore me and I'm half your age, so I think we can generalize the issue, haha. Welcome to the helmet club, it's not perfect as theGimp notes but it's better than not and I'm sure glad for the ones I've cracked (rather than me).

And yeah, assume you're invisible on a bike. There's some folks out there with some malice, but I'm a big fan of Hanlon's Razor.

And a thoroughly disgusting human. In many ways a person who strives to be the opposite of something they hate, in her case the system she grew up under, can become a monster of the opposite nature.

Some pertinent satire:
Our Daughter Isn’t a Selfish Brat; Your Son Just Hasn’t Read Atlas Shrugged - McSweeney’s Internet Tendency

I have a similar reaction to Rand. I don't find her particularly compelling, rather just acting some intellectual ego schism that eventually veers downward to Maslow's lowest level; being a good person would literally 'hurt'.

As far as modern women, far more respect for Paglia. Too honest to have an end-game, though not too honest to be a promoter. (Remind anybody of someone?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.