Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Still nothing to do with what nordost are claiming. And of course the professional whistler and crystal healer reviewing it wouldn't bother to try and off the shelf switch to compare.

For more primo oil https://www.nordost.com/qrt/qnet-network-switch.php

Whether you stream music and/or video from a local server, a NAS drive, or from the internet, upgrading your digitally-run system with Nordost’s QNET will make all the difference. This premium network switch will deliver enviable dynamic range, extension, and clarity to your system. As a result, the voices and instruments in your music will stand out against a surprisingly black background, giving you the fluid, life-like performance that you are looking for from your digital experience.
wow it can increase the dynamic range of a digital source that has come half way around the world. Maybe two in series will make it even better?

Reactions: 4 users
Bill, two points if I may:
(1) If someone tries one of those router gadgets and if they really hear a difference, then there is obviously something going on that may require more detailed engineering analysis to understand. Of course, people do imagine things sometimes as I will come back to shortly.

(2) Human nature seems to be that a product needs to have story or people won't buy it. In the high end audio market the stories tend to be technically muddled and or simply incorrect. I don't personally like it, but those types of stories are what typical consumers in that market report liking. Regarding stories and imagining things, please consider the consumer audio market. In that case the story is often about measurements that are claimed to show a device is 'audibly transparent.' Sometimes people believe the story so much that when they listen to such a device they expect to hear transparent audio, and so they do.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
1) it's not a router, it's a switch.
2) Never said there might not be a benefit to a switch instead of a hub as it reduces traffic down specific cables but the mechanism is tenuous at best
3) Nordost make an anti-resonant stand for this switch to improve it even further. This tells you the level of BS we are dealing with here.

Reactions: 1 users
3) Nordost make an anti-resonant stand for this switch to improve it even further. This tells you the level of BS we are dealing with here.
Product guilt by association? If so, a logical fallacy. For all we know some customers may demand a special stand or they won't by the switch.

Also, we all know virtually everything marketed relies on some puffed up claims. We are supposed to expect it and take it into consideration, or so the courts have found.

You may as well be ranting about soap, deodorant, cars, breakfast cereal ('the breakfast of champions!'), etc.

So noted. Initially I responded to https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/funniest-snake-oil-theories.234829/post-7140364 ... which seemed to me was potentially misleading to readers with respect to how the switch could possibly affect sound or not.

I think you know what I'm getting at. Its like the indignation some have expressed when they say power cords can't do anything at all to sound because the are only a small part of the total wire resistance going back the the generator. That's not a correct analysis of the situation in my view, so indignation does not seem not appropriate. I think it would be fair for someone to explain how power cords might affect sound for other reasons besides simple resistance.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
So noted. Initially I responded to https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/funniest-snake-oil-theories.234829/post-7140364 ... which seemed to me was potentially misleading to readers with respect to how the switch could possibly affect sound or not.
But you mention TCP and most ethernet connected DACs use UDP so what are you actually talking about?
I think it would be fair for someone to explain how power cords might affect sound for other reasons besides simple resistance.
And it would be even more fair for Nordost to explain how their $4000 switch might actually affect sound.

But you mention TCP and most ethernet connected DACs use UDP so what are you actually talking about?
The post I responded to mentioned retransmission, which IIRC is not supported by UDP. Again IIRC, its part of TCP. Admittedly, its been awhile.
Also as alluded to earlier its not uncommon for DACs to be connected to a streamer which is then connected to wired ethernet. Like DACs, streamers tend to be cost sensitive devices. They don't necessarily clean up common mode noise from upstream network gear.

It's just strange. Jeeps used to be for the Levis wearing crowd. Jeeps had performance to back up their image.

I just wonder what kind of ...poser would plunk down 89 grand for such a parody of a Jeep.

But that's marketing. They reinvented the image as an urban douchebag machine that would never so much as hit a curb with its big bad big bad Jeep wheels, let alone go off road. Reminds me of the Hummer. Big and macho but everyone knows it's a piece of crap that gets 7 miles a gallon. And the guy driving it has a very small... self image so he needs a Hummer to pump it up. Problem you don't have, solution you don't need, it's the American way.

Fiat, and the Peugeot family sold their bits to Stellantis, they are minor shareholders now, and from the looks of it, headed down the tubes...run by bean counters.

Fiat has a tiny presence in India, they had the cheek to ask nearly $160 for a pair of wiper blades, a $6 - $20 item here for most cars here....

Jeep and Land-Rover are a joke in Australia, they break far too often to be trusted in the Outback. Toyota was considered the most reliable...

Yeah, Fiat has/had a bunch of old nameplates like Maserati, Alfa Romeo, a few more. Shame that these once great cars are now reduced to just rights to a name, and the cars are all pretty much clones of each other. I remember well what a real Maserati is like. Ditto for Alfa Romeo I had the pleasure of driving one occasionally in college.. not for the faint of heart.

I remember when Peugeots were downright enviable, and Citroen was a cutting edge technology leader. It doesn't mean much any more.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
"Retransmission is defined as a behavior in which a response/request is resent due to packet loss. UDP’s lack of delivery confirmation makes having retransmission policy a key tool in application success."

https://ns1.com/resources/dns-retransmission#:~:text=Retransmission is defined as a,key tool in application success.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5485756/can-udp-retransmit-lost-data
Mark, did you actually read those links before posting them? UDP generally doesn't restransmit. It's fire and forget. In your first link the retransmission is to another computer entirely.

Not saying no audio protocols use TCP/IP but all the ones I am personally aware of use UDP/RTP.

Status
Not open for further replies.