Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
..I puzzled over this and concluded it was because each time I switched I cleaned all the connections...
Here's the thing: there's no science to indicate that cleaning the connections (provided they were not already incredibly dirty/ rusty/ oxidized) makes any difference whatsoever!

It's true that extremely dirty or oxidized contacts can give you rectification effects. In that case, the audible result is like putting a silicon diode in series with one speaker cable. It's not subtle, it's immediately obvious. You would know immediately if this was happening.

(It happened to me once, with a 1/4" jack that had a rusted contact buried deep inside the front panel. You couldn't see the rust from the outside, but you could hear its effect clearly.)

Meantime, if the surfaces aren't quite that dirty, there is no added distortion. There is no known mechanism that can cause "microrectification" or other similar made-up terms you might hear in "audiophool" discussions.

Inside a metal, there is a sea of electrons, and when two pieces of metal contact, the sea of electrons floods over from one to the other. Electric current flows freely through the junction, in both directions. Imperfect contact may limit the contact area, and therefore the maximum tolerable current, but will have no effect on distortion under reasonable conditions.

The fact of the matter is, our ears are not at all accurate (look at the Fletcher Munson equal loudness contours). And they're not dependable, either, with our subjective perceptions varying from day to day. The same FLAC file of David Gilmour playing a guitar solo can move me almost to tears one day, but might leave me unmoved on another. The sound didn't change, my mental state did.

Even on our best days, we don't hear a lot of sounds that are actually there (that's how MP3s work, by stripping out sounds we can't hear).

And we also err the opposite way, thinking that we hear things that are not actually there at all. Google "auditory illusions" for plenty of examples.

IMO, just enjoy your music, and don't take any of this "little stuff" too seriously. Life's too short. :)

-Gnobuddy

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I just used to draw on the CD with a crayon and buff the wax into the scratches - worked surprisingly well.
Ok I tried it on the 'unplayable CD' using a candle. It does improve things...a bit. Whereas before it skipped after 2 seconds this time it made it to 1 minute 45 on one CD player. Another kept on going but you could hear the error correction losing the plot (first time I have heard that). So it might just be rippable now which I will try sometime. Oddly it doesn't look that scratched so suspect I'd need to look through a microscope to see if the surface is damaged in some other way. And sorry for polluting this thread with something that appears objectively to actually help.

Right now, MH is on sale 930g can for 9.98$ so about 7.50$USD for 32 ounces but it was cheaper before like yours.

And you're right - it could be taken as a childish insult but only to a sensitive childlike person in my experience. Most people around here are a little thicker skinned than to be insulted by a joke about their chosen coffee :D
I consider myself thick-skinned.
Because actually, not much bothers me, I tend to add a little humor to things in order to keep a healthy balance about life...and even death, for that matter.
My friends are just as goofy as I am in that respect.

However, I've been on plenty of websites where the subject of coffee came up, and just the mention of Maxwell House always..... always.... results in degrading comments towards the brand.
It's almost like some word-of-mouth gossip got around the internet and blacklisted the brand.
Similar to electronic parts/brands.... automobiles.... etc etc.
People have a tendency to believe what they read or hear... and like sheep, they follow commands.

I personally don't follow any damn advice, my own experiences through life has already taught me what I need to know or do.

I tend to follow advice given by those with more knowledge but not blindly.
And well said - a lot of times word of mouth makes or breaks something.
In this case though, I just don't like the coffee. That said, I should give the K-cup a try. A much better comparison than drip coffee in a cheap maker years ago.

Off topic, Mahindra made Jeeps under license for many years, and later parted ways with the American company in the mid 1980s or so.

Much of their sales were to the local military, and they were reliable. They seem much more reliable than Wranglers, but the electronics are pretty basic, mostly for the engine controls.

They did put a model called Roxor or something in the US market, as a farm use vehicle, no idea about sales.

I know some people who always buy new cars, and some who always buy cheap slightly used cars.
FWIW, a new SUV and a used Mercedes are about same price, latter friend says go to a hotel, see the choice of the parking guy, always Mercedes first....

Worst car ever?
Soviet copies of Fiat cars, some SEAT (Spain) models, some British cars, Standard Herald in India, some Chinese cars of the 70s...most never made it to the US market.

Also, the Sipani Badal, a Indian copy of the Reliant Robin, 3 wheels, and a 175 cc engine from a scooter!
Fiberglass body means I used to see one gathering dust, it was corrosion resistant, those stopped production in the early 80s, there was a later 4 wheel model with an 850 cc engine as well, again a Reliant copy.

Please remember that the US government, by insisting on gas mileage, and safety features, made it difficult for unsafe cars to be sold. That also improved their quality...

Last edited:
We like our coffee in the office.....
coffee_office.jpg

I don't know if cleaning the plugs make a difference or not, but I thought that I'd try Spotify at work, Bluetoothing if from my lap to a Bluetooth receiver board connected to an musicfedelity electra E10 - and I noticed that it seemed to sound better than the DAB radio I was listening to previously (through the same 3.5mm to rca cable) Then about I day later I was listening and thought it did seem to sound better, only to remember that I had reverted back to the DAB radio, I can only presume that unplugging and plugging the 3.5 mm jack had cleaned the contacts. Or it could just be that the difference wasn't there.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
https://www.stereophile.com/content/nordost-qnet-network-switch-qsource-linear-power-supply

The snake oil is in the description they give.

As previously mentioned, a network switch is a "layer-2" device, which means that it works in the first two layers of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model. In Bonotto's preferred lingo, the two layers are called "MAC" and "PHY." MAC refers to the data-link layer; it stands for Medium Access Control. PHY refers to the "Physical Layer"; Wikipedia says, "The Physical Layer is responsible for the transmission and reception of unstructured raw data between a device, such as a network interface controller [NIC], Ethernet hub, or network switch, and a physical transmission medium. It converts the digital bits into electrical, radio, or optical signals."

Bonotto wrote, in a follow-up email, "When transmitting, the MAC's role is to take the actual data and assemble full Ethernet frames/packets with address, control and the actual data as needed. However, these packets are not sent down the cable directly. Instead, they are forwarded to the PHY unit, whose role is to take those packets and 'line code' them. The reason for this is essentially to make the data more immune to noise and therefore make the whole process more reliable. On a typical 100M PHY, line coding means that the packets get converted, scrambled, and encoded into symbols for transmission, and it's these symbols that actually travel down the cable."

Hoooo boy. This is a special level of BS. Ethernet data is packetised and error-checked at every stage. Physically impossible for it to affect sound in any way. The data either arrives completely intact or is discarded and re-sent. Noise immunity is utterly irrelevant with regard to final received data facepalm

Imagine if pictures, text etc. sent via Ethernet had noise-induced artifacts. We would have ditched it as a protocol immediately.

Wired Ethernet related noise problems in DACs is nothing new. The explanation about how TCP/IP works is obviously intended for a lay audience.

Regarding wired Ethernet noise problems, they appear to be related to things like common mode noise from network gear power supplies, and or sometimes also due to what USB to I2S board sees as intermittent packing flooding sufficient to modulate USB board power supply voltage, which in turn can cause I2S timing jitter. All this stuff can be fixed/prevented with good DAC design, including use of galvanic isolation, isolated power supplies, and reclocking of I2S signals. Unfortunately it adds too much to the cost of consumer devices just to prevent problems most people won't experience or won't know they are experiencing. Anyway, network isolator products for audio systems have come be a solution for people who need them.

Similar sorts of things could be said about AC line power conditioners. Nobody thinks they need one until they hear what a really good one can do for their reproduction system.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Mark, you are mixing metaphors here. USB and ethernet are very different. and lay person description or not there is nothing to explain why the audioquest hub is any better than using your router. Now there may be very valid resons when streaming using RDP for having an extra device in the chain, but those are not covered, just the boogyman of 'noise'. Ethernet is galvanically isolated on both sides unless you are running POE.

Sorry, left out the intermediary device between ethernet and USB. Often its something like an RPi. Problems can either propagate though it or maybe originate in it.

EDIT: Probably should have mentioned that galvanic isolation is often best at DC. Often there are some sneak paths for RF to get around it. Therefore some additional measures may be needed when the end use device is, say, a DAC. Its not data errors that are the problem. Its typically some kind of noise problem that gets around measures designed to attenuate noise enough to assure data integrity. That level of noise attenuation is not necessarily good enough to get the best sound out of DAC. They tend to be sensitive to both amplitude noise and timing noise.

Last edited:
In the mid 1980's (1987) Chrysler bought Jeep and make it crap IMHO.

At first they kept the tooling and kept them real Jeeps. The I6 engine (legacy AMC tooling!) was an outstanding engine. It made great power and was good for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Then they "fixed" the gas mileage and ride. They discarded the original tooling and started making them more efficient and quite frankly, flimsy.

Then Fiat bought Chrysler. Fiat completely ruined what was left of Jeep. Jeep is a bad joke now. My buddy bought a new one about 4 years ago against my advice. He had an older Jeep with the old I6 engine; a real Jeep. He thought a Jeep is a Jeep but he pretty much only drove it to the dealership and back, but only when it wasn't on a tow truck. It broke down every single time he drove it. Final straw was when his brakes went out. The pedal was hard as a rock and there were no brakes. He ended up in the ditch in 4 feet of water. The lawsuit against Fiat is still going around in court, but he bought a new vehicle that he barely got to drive and it was worthless after less than 2 years. He then bought a used Toyota 4Runner (my advice) and although he lost thousands of dollars on his Jeep debacle, he's quite happy with the 4Runner.

Bad Fiat. Fake ripoff company. Go back to Europe and stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.