Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
heyyy, some of us can change. I used to fret on how much green ink I put on the edges of my CDs. :eek:

I finally got down off the ledge some time ago. :D
Lol. Some guy told me that after he used the Badini cd Demagnetizer? I did hear a difference but, Maybe it was planted in my head before He did it? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏼.

Green dots on your wall. 😂 🤣

I grew up as a kid with Maxwell House, too. Worst / cheapest coffee they sold. Even Folgers was better but that's what my parent's bought.

I swear No Name coffee is better :)
View attachment 1050831

These days, surprisingly, I'm drinking McCafe most of the time. I have some Starbucks right now, too.
McCafe is my least favorite. Though I will drink coffee that sits on the counter for days. Preferred is French press from fresh ground beans but I pretty much gave that up after having a kid, too time consuming and im highly caffeine dependent. No Name stuff is ok.

What's the widespread dislike towards Maxwell House coffee here, and on various other sites that I've noticed?
I sense a 'sheep' or 'herd mentality' attitude online likely generated by the internet blabbering itself.
Funny thing too, I also observe a high level of 'preference' or 'worship' of some products, both about food and capacitors/resistors, brand names, etc.

And these same individuals usually tout being open-minded, fair, and sometimes authorities on something, insisting that their preference (to them of course) is the right choice, and the more popular choice.
So is now preference itself now driven by what others say, and price?

Maxwell House coffee = bad bad.
Inexpensive Ixicon brand poly capacitors = bad bad.

McIntosh audio equipment = very good!
Arabica beans coffee = very good!

The mindset of some implies that individual preferences are not allowed, nor smart, and chastized if one follows their individual freedom of choice.
Which to me is a form of mental control.

Indeed, some products are blatently junk, like those (infamous) cheap Crosley record players.
And the 'herd' in that case appropriately judges it for what it is.
But coffee? - let the people enjoy their own preference, no one's forcing you to drink it.
The old saying: "Opinions are like ***holes, everyone's got one."

McCafe is my least favorite. Though I will drink coffee that sits on the counter for days. Preferred is French press from fresh ground beans but I pretty much gave that up after having a kid, too time consuming and im highly caffeine dependent. No Name stuff is ok.
I don't have kids, but I don't have the desire to grind beans and press. I used to use a percolator LOL
Now, it's all about the Keurig. I have consistancy and the coffee never tastes plastic.
What's the widespread dislike towards Maxwell House coffee here, and on various other sites that I've noticed?
They sell the lowest quality garbage they can find?
We used to joke that Maxwell House what what they swept up off the floor in the Green Mountain plant....
Good coffee is 35$/kg but I can get Maxwell house for 6.99$/kg on sale.
Also I am talking about ground coffee, not instant - their instant is worse than Encore with Chicory.
Honestly Matt, I know you can't get No Name coffee in the USA, but I promise it's better.

Freedom of choice is a thing - people go out and buy garbage Chrysler / Dodge/ RAM / Jeep every day even though they are the worse vehicles on the market.
People also choose to drink Budweiser when there are plenty of far better beers, too.
Maxwell House is popular because it's cheap and the people who drink it aren't coffee connoisseurs. To each their own :)

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
just like all that unsold vinyl record cleaner solution magically became CD cleaner.
Funnily enough I used to have a small bottle of CD scratch polish and I found it worked to make CDs that were otherwise unreadable run through once so I could rip them. Lost it over the years and the internet now means you can usually get a clean download for less than my time is worth :D

In 2022 when a CD is so scratched that EAC gives up you know it's pretty borked.

Jeep is junk?
No wonder they tried to trip up Mahindra in the US market.

Coffee, once you drink South Indian Coffee, it is quite habit forming.
I use instant most of the time, my percolator is small.

Blended Robusta and Arabica, with a little Chicory, dark roast, buy just enough for a month, refrigerate.
A friend grew up in Africa, he says 50-50 Arabica and Pea-berry is good.

$3 a kilo and up, the raw beans...

I used to have a small bottle of CD scratch polish
Back in the days of "Video Rental Stores", the shop in my neighborhood had a disc polishing machine to remove scratches from their rental DVDs. It worked well but, there was a limited number of times a disc could be polished before it wouldn't work in any player, no matter how perfect the surface looked.

“What's the widespread dislike towards Maxwell House coffee here, and on various other sites that I've noticed?”

idk about everyone else but as one who used to buy maxwell house columbian i can definitely say something changed somewhere around a year +/- ago with their product……..i can no longer drink it.
I buy Original Roast and haven't noticed any difference.

We used to joke that Maxwell House what what they swept up off the floor in the Green Mountain plant....
Good coffee is 35$/kg but I can get Maxwell house for 6.99$/kg on sale.
Also I am talking about ground coffee, not instant - their instant is worse than Encore with Chicory.
Honestly Matt, I know you can't get No Name coffee in the USA, but I promise it's better.

Freedom of choice is a thing -
People also choose to drink Budweiser when there are plenty of far better beers, too.
Maxwell House is popular because it's cheap and the people who drink it aren't coffee connoisseurs. To each their own :)
I've tried other brands of coffee, and yes there are 'no name' brands available here in the US.
And no, I don't do instant, bleh.
It's all about the 'preference' - people like different things, aquire a taste, and stick with it.
As for Maxwell House prices - they're not as cheap as you'd think.
Since all the inflation, scandal, and political BS going on here, a lousy little 11 ounce can of MH Original Roast has bloomed into a rediculous $6.19 at my local store.
Just a few months ago, it was $1.99 on sale.

As for 'joking' about Maxwell House and floor sweepings, it can be taken as a childish insult to people who like the brand.

Back in the days of "Video Rental Stores", the shop in my neighborhood had a disc polishing machine to remove scratches from their rental DVDs. It worked well but, there was a limited number of times a disc could be polished before it wouldn't work in any player, no matter how perfect the surface looked.
Just like those people who try to rejuvenate old tubes, old electrolytic capacitors.... a waste of time.

Probably just feeling mischievous, and not a reply to above, but how do you separate reality from auto suggestion, with or without snake oil?
If I go to my system now and turn round the speaker cables, doesn't matter which way the writing is (there isn't any on mine they are cheap twisted pair) things will sound better. That I have proved to myself repeatedly over time.
I puzzled over this and concluded it was because each time I switched I cleaned all the connections, now that I can understand. I am sure if I had cleaned the connectors with snake oil at the same time they would also have sounded better...........so it's not always so easy to isolate the truth!
M

I buy Original Roast and haven't noticed any difference.

I've tried other brands of coffee, and yes there are 'no name' brands available here in the US.
And no, I don't do instant, bleh.
It's all about the 'preference' - people like different things, aquire a taste, and stick with it.
As for Maxwell House prices - they're not as cheap as you'd think.
Since all the inflation, scandal, and political BS going on here, a lousy little 11 ounce can of MH Original Roast has bloomed into a rediculous $6.19 at my local store.
Just a few months ago, it was $1.99 on sale.

As for 'joking' about Maxwell House and floor sweepings, it can be taken as a childish insult to people who like the brand.
Right now, MH is on sale 930g can for 9.98$ so about 7.50$USD for 32 ounces but it was cheaper before like yours.
No Name is a brand name in Canada - it's not just a generic :)
https://www.noname.ca/en_CA/
Good instant is better than crappy drip IMHO.
And you're right - it could be taken as a childish insult but only to a sensitive childlike person in my experience. Most people around here are a little thicker skinned than to be insulted by a joke about their chosen coffee :D

For those in the Toronto area - this is the best coffee I've tried: Next roasting day is the 16th.
https://moonbeancoffee.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.