Advice needed but not if its not what I want to hear !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:cop:
I've pulled some more.

I've pulled myself off, after when trying to explain to some stubborn guy his mistakes had been moderated for telling him that he does not understand what he is arguing about. ;)

I realized that it is not the place to learn and share knowledge and experience. Knowledgeable, experienced, wise people unfortunately don't want to be moderators.

As someone who is a complete novice in the electronic field (prefer 460v and above) I lurk around the edges of these forums and am totally amazed at the the depth of knowledge provided and the willingness of people to share it.

Unfortunately, in these days of instant gratification it seems that some are unable to appreciate, let alone respect, the knowledge accumulated by people who have put in the time and effort to be in a position to offer advice.

It would appear that some folk seek confirmation of their beliefs and dismiss answers that contravene them.

@wavebourn: Wise, knowledgeable, and experienced people are always valued here as members- very much including you, whom I very much respect greatly and very much like personally. But... we all have to follow the rules, even the moderators. I've certainly had some of my posts pulled by other mods when I paid insufficient attention to the rules, but that's part of what it takes to keep a civilized community.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Good to see you back; please stay

Yeah, I miss him too although I understand his reasons for leaving. He's not the first one that leaves because of some clash with a mod and, certainly, he won't be the last. In a way this forum is leveled by moderators so everybody can be protected against verbal aggression. Problem is, if you say things as they are without any type of sugar coating it's considered here as verbal aggression. Best way is to use subtleties that generally pass over or under the mod's radar. In other words, use their limitations to your own advantage. Oh God, I think I've talked too much.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I've pulled myself off, after when trying to explain to some stubborn guy his mistakes had been moderated for telling him that he does not understand what he is arguing about. ;)

I realized that it is not the place to learn and share knowledge and experience. Knowledgeable, experienced, wise people unfortunately don't want to be moderators.

Hi Anatoliy
I hope everything is well. :)

**** happends all the time.

What I find annoying is when you try to correct somebody that you thought was smart, then instead of admitting that they were wrong and thank you for correcting them puts on a trench coat, dig a trench, telling you that you are wrong (and an idiot) and continue to preach their (wrong) statements. :confused:

That's annoying, what should you do?
I ignore them.

BTW: it seems like it's a lot of members that are only looking for making trouble , especially to knowledgeable people. ( as an example have a look at the idiots that irritated Bruno), (in my opinion it's a disaster that the mods didn't stop them)

Cheers
Stein

Welcome back, Wavebourn.

Something I am learning is that even the English-speaking nations interpret some remarks quite differently, and on here we have many other people too. One person's innocent remark could be someone else's strong statement and look like an insult to a third person. This makes life difficult for the mods, so we can't expect perfection from them. They give up their time and do their best.

We also need to remember that technophiles like us don't always have the best social skills. I remember some years ago reading an article in New Scientist which was exploring the idea that Einstein may have been autistic. They gave 8 signs; I had, in some measure, 7 of them! Not unusual for a physicist, especially one with engineers for both grandfathers (a known risk factor!). Not an excuse for bad behaviour, but perhaps an explanation? To use a football (soccer) analogy, we need to tackle the ball not the man.

Wow. C'mon folks. We can do better than this.
If someone doesn't follow your advice, can you not just as easily simply post, "Well, I tried my best." And move along?
I'm certain I've had some, quote, "verbal aggression" directed at me. Unfortunately (to me anyway) the mods are almost always on it before I'm able to enjoy it. I'm not that thin-skinned, but realize that the forum as a whole is more important than any member or group of members.
Subtle, under-the-mod-radar insults are still insults. Not intellectual disagreement. The moderators do their job without salary (or thanks, all too often). Making their job harder isn't a proper thing to do IMHO.
People who take themselves too seriously often find that others don't take them serious enough.
And BTW, I consider the international and regional flavors found here extremely interesting and enlightening and one of the many great charms of DiyAudio.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
On no! I'm much nicer online than in person!

Attachments

• atlatis-hat.jpg
    atlatis-hat.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 85
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I'm certain I've had some, quote, "verbal aggression" directed at me. Unfortunately (to me anyway) the mods are almost always on it before I'm able to enjoy it.

Subtle, under-the-mod-radar insults are still insults.

LOL. I don't enjoy being insulted but I find it kind of amusing. When people lose their nerves I'm often amused but I don't know why. I certainly don't enjoy provoking people, in fact I'm always surprised when it happens.

That piece I wrote about using subtleties... well I wasn't talking about insults. I find personal insults too primitive, too unsophisticated.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can stay, but with the single condition: Kevinkr does not delete anymore my posts where I write something like, "Sir, I respectfully disagree with you, and according to my humble opinion you don't understand what you are talking about, that's why allow me please to stop the discussion and say Good-Bye!"

I'll send you a quick PM.. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.