The food thread

I'm fairly sure the coriander soapiness disappears with cooking.

It is common with indian food that some spices or flavourings are added twice during the cooking process because their flavour changes.
Quite a few spices are first fried in hot oil or ghee because frying changes their taste quite a bit. Some of them are added later again but not fried.
Similarly fresh Coriander is frequently added early and again right at the end.

I wonder if there is a genetic component to how we perceive sweeteners because they leave an intense bitter after taste with me that I can't imagine anybody putting up with but most others don't seem to notice.

It's not the same one that's for sure, I feel the same about all the sweetener substitutes as well as all powdered onion/garlic products.

I had a superficial google and there seem to be at least 8 to 12 genes involved in tasting or not tasting certain substances as bitter one of which is implicated in the coriander thing.

Nobody I've seen specifically worked on artificial sweeteners but since it is possible with other substances it might be the case that there is a genetic angle.
Circumstantial evidence ie that you, me and some others taste it as distinctly bitter while most do not does point that way too.

For me coriander works excellent. Especially since i am a fan of Thai cuisine, trying indian actaully and mexican food contains it also sometimes, not to forget peruan ceviche.

I like aspargus and artichoques a lot, actually trying different ways to prepare.

Raps oil there are several types here, smoking or not, fishstinky or not, Mrs Groove-T likes it almost cold and due Omega 3.

For cooking wit heat i go almost with peanut oil, i have a favorite between apx. 6 brands.

Olive oil i use a lot, almost cold or medium heat.
Problem is almost that quality is not what is promised.

Last year a big italian olive oil maker mixed spain and greek oilve oil in his *superduperextranativevergine* and declraed it with microscopic sized letters on the bottles, because soemhow in italy the olive harvets was not good or enough, who knows.
So here helps just my personal taste, i found an oilve oil in Aldi to be very good at a very competitive price apx 10.CHF/liter, but who am i .....

Italy consumes much more olives than it produces so for a couple of decades italian olive oil merely means that it was pressed in Italy.
If you want oil made from italian olives you need to look for 'native' on the label.

Aldi olive oil is excellent and has won many blind taste tests in Germany against boutique labels.

Like asparagus I have found that fresh fenugreek leaves make my urine smell odd.

The problem with cilantro is it doesn't keep well. I buy a big bunch, use a few tablespoons iin some dish and a few days later discard the soupy mass that the remainder has become in the fridge. I usually plant some corianer seeds but don't get many leaves, it usually bolts quickly.

Try this green curry paste:

Soak a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight, drain the water and measure 2 tsp of soaked seeds (they swell a lot when soaked). put in jar of blender with:

5 cloves garlic
2 tbsp fresh ginger
1 c firmly packed fresh coriander leaves
1 c firmly packed mint leaves
1/2 c vinegar

Blend into a smooth paste.. Add:

3 tsp salt
2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cardamom

Blend to mix in spices. In a skillet heat

1/2 c vegetable oil (your choice)
1/4 c sesame oil

Heat the oils until very hot, pour in blended mixture, boil, turn off heat. Cool and transfer to clean jar. Oil should rise to top and cover the paste, if not add a little more oil.

You can add a little of this paste to any curry to add a finishing touch, and I also like spreading it on meat or fish before grilling.

The very best olive oil in Italy not only never leaves the country, it never even makes it into shops!

In that little village we had a house in almost every family owned a half dozen olive trees near by. When it is time they harvest the olives and take them and some bottles to a guy who presses them. Friend of ours had a few spare trees but he supplied the local hospital with his surplus (he also had a hotel/restaurant).
That was in the Gaeta area where they grow some of the best olives in Italy.

This evening I made twice-cooked pork for me and mamselle - had about 15 ounces of pork tenderloin left over.

The tenderloin was "boiled", in its entirety, with a couple slivers of ginger for 20 minutes and placed to chill. After chilling divided into 2 and sliced 1/8" slivers.

Green pepper was sliced up and deep fried -- not to the point of being "limp" (who wants a limp pepper?).

Next put some scallion and garlic in the wok until fragrant, added the pork and green pepper. Poured on a sauce composed of "hot" bean sauce and "Sweet" bean sauce, a sprinkle of soy sauce and vermouth.

Very, very good. Served with braised bok-choy.

Today tried for the first time baking my gluten free oat flour based sweet coffee bread using yest and it worked much better than anticipated, the recipe requires baking powder which leaves a metallic aftertaste, I am after all trying to stick with a known brand but can't be sure if there's still aluminum etc in it, but from now on no more obscure chemicals in my coffee bread. :)

Today tried for the first time baking my gluten free oat flour based sweet coffee bread using yest and it worked much better than anticipated, the recipe requires baking powder which leaves a metallic aftertaste, I am after all trying to stick with a known brand but can't be sure if there's still aluminum etc in it, but from now on no more obscure chemicals in my coffee bread. :)

Try a look at Bob's Red Mill aluminum free. They were the only people with broadly available teff flour and have a lot of alternative grains, flours, etc.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop.ht...jfkoFm0PejT0f80XtlR5n9omxdsG5dBMaAtv4EALw_wcB

Green asparagus is delicious but Germans usually have white which is a bit bland.

Or to put a more positive spin on it: The flavour is very delicate. :)

I assumed the white was the preferred meaning of spargel in Germany and yes it is delicate as they say. What I really don't get is prizing the huge ones that are tough at the end and have to be trimmed and peeled.