The food thread

The other half of the round went into the sous vide for 27 hours. I added some of the slow cooker juice, S&P and went to town on it. I'm not sure I was ready for what I was about to eat. As Scott has mentioned, he has used it for tenderizing, well this was what I am going to call 'spooky tender.' I have a new outlook on sous vide and the lesser cuts of meat.

Attachments

• IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 60
Eggs seem to be on sale right now so my kitchen buddy and I picked up 60 of them on the weekend.
Mine are boiled, shelled and pickled in the dark brine and will be ready in a week.
Her's are raw, sitting in a brine and will be salted eggs in about 6 weeks. If you are wondering about the water filled plastic bag in hers, it's to keep the eggs submerged in the brine. Mine only needed one day before they fully sank (sunk?) on their own.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 61
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
VenusFly cooking checklist:
1) Never had sushi before in his entire life but has eaten salmon raw for many years.
2) Makes avocado sushi rolls, does an ok job for a beginner with the first 2 rolls but stuffs up the 3rd one by adding too much salmon and avocado, too much salmon was a mistake of all 3 rolls though.
3) Eats avocado sushi rolls with mum.
4) VenusFly feels like he is going to throw up.
5) VenusFly remembers that he didn't fully defrost the salmon before adding it to the sushi, the reason why he feels like throwing up is because the salmon is still cold and not room temperature.
6) Rice and Avocado turned out alright though.

haha.

Oh well practice makes perfect and if you feel like throwing up for a short while you know you're not going to make the same mistake again!

Eggs seem to be on sale right now so my kitchen buddy and I picked up 60 of them on the weekend.
Mine are boiled, shelled and pickled in the dark brine and will be ready in a week.
Her's are raw, sitting in a brine and will be salted eggs in about 6 weeks. If you are wondering about the water filled plastic bag in hers, it's to keep the eggs submerged in the brine. Mine only needed one day before they fully sank (sunk?) on their own.

My other half did pickled eggs once but used ground allspice instead of seeds.
They came out volcanic grey with white spots where they pressed against the glass or each other. There was nothing wrong with the flavor though. It was when we only had film cameras so no photo.

My other half did pickled eggs once but used ground allspice instead of seeds.
They must have been in the handful of pickling spice as I would usually crush them with the cleaver if using them on their own.
They came out volcanic grey with white spots where they pressed against the glass or each other.
So the albumen was gray, not the yolks? That's kinda funny.
There was nothing wrong with the flavor though.
Exactly, so you keep them all for yourself instead of having to give some away. ;)
It was when we only had film cameras so no photo.
No kidding. Who would waste film on food? :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
VF, you have an interesting way of presenting your food.

I made sushi rolls where I felt sick for a short while after eating them because the salmon wasn't fully defrosted. Posting pics of said sushi rolls would make me too ashamed. Presentation was not part of the game today. I'll wait until I'm more practiced.

Might post a pic of Miso soup if I make it again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
sushi mat

I got one for $2 a few weeks ago from coles! :)

Its the placing of the ingredients which is putting me off, next time I make them I'll have to find and print out a good recipe, but the websites which have the step by step instructions don't appreciate me printing them out, I get like 7 pages of images with step by step images, too many to print out.

I think putting the recipe on an ipad should do me good. I'll try again in a day or two, the salmon is well cooled in the crisper and the avocados will take a while to ripen up.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I soaked the seaweed overnight in a container filled with 1L of water. I then properly cooked the Katsuobushi for 15 minutes at a mild boil. There was some slime in the water that came from the seaweed.

I'm still not satisfied with the taste of the final product. Either I really suck at making dashi stock or I'm not satisfied with the strength of the dashi stock or miso soup just plain sucks.

In either case I'm going to focus on making sushi rolls from now on and won't be making any more Miso soup at least until I can find some premade dashi stock without msg.

Attachments

• diyaudio-217.jpg
    diyaudio-217.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited: