The food thread

Well, I felt marginally better today (still on antibiotics) and decided to bake a zucchini casserole for tomorrow dinner.

Four medium Zucchini sliced about 1/4" thick, sauteed in butter until translucent and slightly brown. Dust them with garlic salt and set aside.

One large onion sliced into 1/4" thick slices sauteed in butter until translucent, and then shopped. Add two pints of tomatoes and cook down until thick.

Make two layers of Zucchini, tomatoes and onions, and munster cheese.

Bake at 325F for 45 minutes.

I'll post another pix when it comes out of the oven.

This is my favorite squash casserole, and one that has always pleased others. It is a meal of itself with some fresh bread and butter.

Attachments

• DSCN3046.jpg
    DSCN3046.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 97
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Finally got the last ingredients from south korea (Dried Bonito Flakes + Sushi Seaweed arrived today from SK) to start making miso soup and maybe avocado sushi rolls. (Only thing left on the list is tofu which I will buy fresh from the store next week.)

The spring onion that I bought a few weeks ago is growing at a fantastic rate in a pot out on the front verandah so I will have fresh shallots to add too.

mmmm you can really smell that strong fishy smell.

(Obligatory Mcdonalds shaker bag and obsolete dvd recorder photobombing)

Attachments

• diyaudio-212.jpg
    diyaudio-212.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 98
  • diyaudio-213.jpg
    diyaudio-213.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Ichiba Junction

Just found this website. going to see if I can order some ingredients off there and get them delivered to home. I'm not the social type and besides its best to get it all from one shop that way they stay in business and I can continue to get genuine Japanese foods and its even better for the environment because its delivered by auspost along with all of the other things which I buy online, so only one warmed up car is running around.

It will also allow me to integrate a 3rd meal of the day into my all-japanese diet.

I'm being inspired to expand the number of dishes available for dinner and cut out the western diet for good by this page: Japanese Dinner Menu 1 – Japanese Cooking 101

Last edited:
Well since Cal isn't showing us his latest...

I made tomato meat sauce using a few tricks I picked up back when I regularly did the sound systems for restaurants. I would be working at the same time the master chef would be training the new staff. Often had to suffer through sampling the results.

Olive oil in the skillet heated to 350 F. Brown the ground meat. Here it is lamb as I forgot the venison in my office fridge. Next the chopped tomatoes with pureeed ones and a bit of juice. Some spices are added at this point others at the end. I just grab a few leaves off the flower pot on the window ledge.

The charred spoon is another important ingrediant.

Served over my corn rice pancakes.

Not Cal's level, but there never are leftovers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 146
I made tomato meat sauce using a few tricks I picked up back when I regularly did the sound systems for restaurants.

You ain't had "sauce" or "gravy" until the mamselle gets up on Sunday morning and fashions all the ingredients garbed in her house-dress and wooden spoon before Sunday mass. Same spoon used to tan the hides of miscreant male offspring -- special seasoning!

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
You ain't had "sauce" or "gravy" until the mamselle gets up on Sunday morning and fashions all the ingredients garbed in her house-dress and wooden spoon before Sunday mass. Same spoon used to tan the hides of miscreant male offspring -- special seasoning!

I have never been more weirded out, confused and a few other emotions I have never felt before by a comment on this thread.

Are you saying that you like the skin flakes and butt excretions of young boys in your food?

There are alternatives out there available, Special K for one. This isn't the 1800s anymore.

Well since Cal isn't showing us his latest...
Hi Ed, no time for cooking much these days. Lots of leftovers and quick meals. I will be happy to get back into the swing of things.
special seasoning!
Special indeed.

Not to worry VF, most of us this age have eaten food stirred with the same spoon that did indeed tan our hides.

I took half the eye of round and put it in the slow cooker for 24 hours. Took half of that and made pulled beef for this week's sandwiches. I gave the other half to the Mrs. who turned it into string beef. String beef is the chewing tobacco of snack food. Just a pinch between the cheek and gums don't you know.

Attachments

• IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 85