The food thread

I used to work with Octal computers... remember the HP1000 series? It was a 16 bit machine. The front panel counted up to 177777 (base 8). You would load the value into the front panel and then load it into an address in the memory map... All in octal...
Do you wish people Merry Christmas on Halloween? Because after all, Oct 31 = Dec 25.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I did not say it used pumpernickel rye flour! American or modern "brown bread" "steakhouse" "pumpernickel" is nearly all the same these days. One would be hard pressed to find a true/proper pumpernickel outside of a devout Bavarian/German/middle European American immigrant, or even from what I know, European native these days. There is a genuine basque/German restaurant locally and even they serve sweet brown bread similar to Outback Steakhouse, though much better. Kinda like Squaw bread here in the US. No one really calls it that, but may make it the same way. Is it Pumpernickel? Some say yes, some no. Recipes change, names change. In the end we all enjoy the same thing.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Interesting.... that would lead to think that bakers have twelve fingers... but my daughter only has ten... we counted her fingers and toes when she was born and nothing has changed... I asked her.

Perhaps a dozen is OK in the USA... indeed, 13 is fine amongst US bakers.. but we're still in that inch/foot/King's Cubit system.
A baker's dozen is 13 in the UK.

The king redefined things in 1824 so your system is not ours any more.

We prefer chains, rods and perches for distance measuring over here. Cubits were fine for making arks of gopher wood but not proper British measurements :p

Joined 2010
Paid Member
no just processed to take all the good stuff off. Thanks to instant pot brown rice is easy to do.

I don't know, freshly made Japanese long grain (some of the best is grown in the Sacramento Delta) is really tasty. It has a slight nutty taste to it. Brown rice just doesn't have the taste nor the mouth feel, it's just different.

Take some sashimi, miso soup, broiled fish/meats, misoyaki, yudofu, etc... and brown rice simply overwhelms it. The cuisine is made around the ingredients and their balance of flavors.

We use a Japanese rice cooker.

In the Indian state of Kerala, brown rice is the preferred rice, but elsewhere in South India, par-boiled white rice is prevalent.
The rest of India seems to prefer polished / processed white rice.
Like Tony says, it feels different, and dishes made with a different rice do seem to taste a bit off.

But with fusion cuisine, and wavering tastes, many fads are short lived...like now there are stalls offering ice cream fritters...the ice cream is dipped in batter and quick fried.
Eye roll is all I can say.

There is also a cheaper variety of 'cheese analog' here, does not spoil so fast in our heat, it is made of cheese, trans fats, starch and added flavors...and used in large quantities at food carts.

But I do allow the substitution of cooking oil, sometimes mustard oil can be too strong a taste if you are not used to it. We use sunflower, corn and rice bran oils for the most part.

My sister, bless her, sent me a Christmas Hamper. Champagne, non-pasteurised Isle of Mull cheese and biscuits and cake and a huge ham...

I am living the life of Riley! Also 200g of smoked salmon. Use by date TODAY. What to do? :unsure:

I found a salmon and potato and cream bake recipe that seemed within my bachelor abilities.

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipe...ecipe/pjcr81ey?r=recipes/collections/8c1n9nge

I had enough of the ingredients to give it a whirl. Added breadcrumbs and tomatoes to the cheese topping as I do with Mac 'n Cheese:

Salmon Potato Cheese Cream.JPG

TADA! I surprise myself sometimes. It is scrummy! The secret is loads of butter and cream with these things according to my favourite TV chef Rick Stein. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Using up leftovers tonight as my girl child has friends over and I don't feel like going to the store. Fritatta bolognese. Just put some biscuits in the oven while this cools. House full of teenagers tonight!

Yes the stove top is dirty, did I mention i have a house full of teenagers, who are capable of feeding themselves but not cleaning up after.
20240104_194349.jpg

My way of pretending waffles are healthy.
This is two meals, and the waffles are made from 4 eggs, 2 scoops of whey protein isolate powder, a bit of baking powder, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
The almost compote is just blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries, mashed up and reduced in water.

Attachments

• 20240105_150632.jpg
    20240105_150632.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240105_151640.jpg
    20240105_151640.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240105_151839.jpg
    20240105_151839.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 20
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I tried a new experiment this afternoon. Chicken thighs covered with Tajin, thyme, salt, and pepper. Brushed with spicy harissa olive oil. Then put in a sous vide bath with a shot of tequila and an ounce of lime juice. 135F for 2 hours. Then convection baked at 375F for about 30 minutes. I made an emulsion gravy of the juices from the sous vide and the drippings from the oven. They turned out wonderfully. Baked and broiled some small potatoes with olive oil, and cut up a big red pepper to go along with the chicken. Great impromptu meal!

I was about to enjoy my second helping when my son said his PC was smoking, so I stopped my gluttony and helped him figure that out. :spin:

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpeg
    IMG_1126.jpeg
    762 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1127.jpeg
    IMG_1127.jpeg
    533.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1129.jpeg
    IMG_1129.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1130.jpeg
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    535.3 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Cal-

I do know how funny the metric comment is.

If only metric beer and wine bottles were bigger... At one point,. there was a winery that was selling 1L bottles of wine. They didn't sell very well, so Trader Joe's bought the whole lot and blew them out the door at stupendous prices.

We drank a lot of 1L bottles.... Reminded me of Spinal Tap and 11.

You know... when you are at the end of the 750ml bottle... ( 10 ) what can you do? Well, with the 1L bottle you just turn it up to 11...

And where did they come up with the 1.75L booze bottle. The though of that drives me to drink.. thank God for those extra 250ml!

Or is it 250cc?

Oh... a "clean stove" can also be the sign of an anal retentive cook. Yours Truly. I can not stand a dirty kitchen or piles of dirty plates. I clean as I cook.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I tried a new experiment this afternoon. Chicken thighs covered with Tajin, thyme, salt, and pepper. Brushed with spicy harissa olive oil. Then put in a sous vide bath with a shot of tequila and an ounce of lime juice. 135F for 2 hours. Then convection baked at 375F for about 30 minutes. I made an emulsion gravy of the juices from the sous vide and the drippings from the oven. They turned out wonderfully. Baked and broiled some small potatoes with olive oil, and cut up a big red pepper to go along with the chicken. Great impromptu meal!

I was about to enjoy my second helping when my son said his PC was smoking, so I stopped my gluttony and helped him figure that out. :spin:

Looks delicious. I think I'll make that next week.

BTW, when I buy chicken I'll prepare it with salts and spices, vacuum bag them and pop them into the freezer.

Then I can put it into the sous vide... normally 160F for 3 hours (bone in thighs) Finish them in the convection fryer for 10 minutes at 350F.... if it's a big batch, I'll use the big ( also convection ) oven in a large wire tray...

Oh, I'll add some cubed zucchini with the pepper.