The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
He... for New Year's 1999/2000 I bought a HUGE Nebuchadnezzar bottle of French champagne.

It was so darn big I had it sitting up in the front seat of the car wearing a seat belt.

It took a LOT of doing, but we finished it. It lasted from 10PM on 12/31/99 untild past dinner on 6PM on 1/1/00.

The good thing about such a big bottle is that is keeps the carbonation for a long time ( if you keep it 'corked' ).

It was A LOT of champagne. ;-)

Trying lower carb game day chili without beans...
Using the same spices as the last few decades, so hopefully it tastes as good .
Late start, so a few hours of simmering ahead.
20240107_113242.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ broccoli?

What spices? What meat?

Last year we bought a variety of ground red chilis... New Mexico, Anaheim, etc... we manage to get a very good smoky chili flavor without much heat ( my wife doesn't care for spicy heat ).

Often we make it without beans and serve it over japanese long grain white rice. With cheese, chopped onions, chopped green onions and sour cream. It is delicious.

In chili competitions, there are no beans and the meat is cut, not ground.
You do either and you are disqualified.
In the real world, the gates are left open.
I don’t question then choice of ingredients as I so often steer a different course myself.
(ya, like I had to tell this crowd)
Broccoli?
Why the **** not, I say.

A good chili requires few ingredients but can also have many.

A real beefy tasting beef
Salt
Cumin
Are three you can’t do without.

beer
onion
tomato
green pepper
mushroom
peanut butter
beans
other seasonings
Are all common in my chili.

I really like the idea of over spicing the pot and making it a bit runny so it can be served over rice like Tony suggests. That ensures one pot of chili goes a long way on game day.

The nice thing about chili is that there is no best way to make it and we are all going to have our favourites.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Pork is very good in chili too... pork shoulder cut into two inch cubes... browned, hmm.... cooked slowly.... hmm...

Beer too.

I once made a chili that came out second.... 8 lbs of pork, 24 ghost chilis, a can of chipotles, some good New Mexico dried chili power, and a little big of sugar. Salt, etc...

Then at the end, I took out the meat out, added a little big of corn flour to thicken it, used the hand blender to smooth the sauce, added a touch of heavy cream (NOT whipping cream) and put the pork back in.

Served with a garnish of chopped cilantro.

It was the kind of chili that went in easy until it hit the back of your mouth, then all Hell broke loose. Have you ever had authentic Sichuan food? You know, the kind where they put ground ghost peppers as garnish! Well, my chili was up there... we had some Chinese and Thai guys in the crew and they loved my chili... I got Numero Uno... but we had too many whiteys and otherwise that thought my chili was, ahem! too spicy.

Wimps.

I haven talked about the Instant Ace Nova recently.
It’s the blender that heats things as you go.
Anytime you have some sad looking stuff in the fridge, you throw it in this unit, add water and bouillon, push a button and 10-16 minutes later you have a veggie supreme cup of drinkable type soup. Can’t be any easier or a better way of using up those things you forgot about in the back of the veggie crisper.

I think the Vitamix does the same thing?

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ Cal

For my birthday dinner we had In'N'Out Protein Style Fresh and Grilled Onion Double Doubles, french fries, Heinz Ketchup, Schiracha, a bottle of 2021 Caymus Cabernet and a very good Rosca de los Reyes.

We ate the burgers with a fork and a steak knife. On a plate, like civilized people.

My daughter put candles on the Rosca.

It was an excellent dinner.

Years ago, for my wife's birthday dinner, she wanted In'N'Out, so I bought, and stacked, a dozen such Double Doubles, on top of a layer of twelve orders of french fries on a huge Thanskgiving turkey platter.... put a couple of big candles on top of that... and pulled out a few bottles of champagne.

Again, it was an excellent dinner... but then, it's In'N'Out...

Cornish hens a la mancha tonight. Served over roasted sweet potatoes, garlic and shallots. Fresh green beans on the side. I normally use this preparation for whole dove but its not the season for them.

Birds doused in high quality fat like pork or duck. Butter or EVOO work too if you dont have those. Generously salted, cavity stuffed with fresh rosemary, sage and 1 bay leaf. Grilled over wood or charcoal breast side up for 6 minutes with dove, 12ish minutes for Cornish hens, then flipped and brushes with more fat. Grill a few minutes. To finish, 2-4 minutes on each side. Rest for 5-10 minutes, fresh cracked pepper and smoked paprika. Serve whole. Eaten with you hands and finger picked.

20240107_172230.jpg 20240107_180903.jpg 20240107_184700.jpg 20240107_190453.jpg 20240107_191047.jpg

Reactions: 1 users