The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Sous Vide Rib Eye my daughter cooked was fantastic as was the rest of the meal.

Two days ago I was in Wal Mart and they had put the remaining Tenderloin, Rib Eye and Standing Rib on sale at half off. On a lark I picked up a 4# Rib Eye at $7.50/#. It was Choice grade so not as good as the Prime my daughter cooked ($18/#).

My son came over to join me for dinner (daughter is out of town). I cooked the Rib Eye in the Sous Vide for 4 and a half hours at 135. When the Asparagus and Potatoes au Gratin came out of the oven I bumped it to 525F and then when up to temp slipped the Rib Eye in for 12 minutes.

Next day I went back to Wal Mart and bought three more Rib Eye roasts. They are now in the freezer.

:ROFLMAO:

We made an 8 lb rib eye sous vide for Christmas from Costco. Wrapped in a vacuum bag with plenty of Lawry's salt for a week in the garage fridge. (This is crucial... must salt the beef properly).

128F for 7 hours

10 min on the BBQ grill at full blast. 600 or so.

Made brown sauce from the drippings.

Daughter had bought a very good blue cheese.

Spicy horseradish.

Daughter made excellent creamy potatoes au gratin.

Salad and asparagus and bread.

It was only six of us so we kept it simple... drank four bottles of a nice California Napa Cabernet.

Pictures later.

We had lots of left over beef... so we sliced a bit, thinly, on udon soup for New Year's Eve dinner. And for some other Japanese soup my wife made for New Year's day. For Japanese cooking you only need like 4oz per person. Everybody left so it was just two of us.

Didn't do much for savory cooking, but was busy over the weekend working on a couple loaves each of ciabatta and sourdough. Ciabatta is a battle of wits, high hydration dough typically 82-85% water which makes it very loose, sticky and must be handled delicately to preserve the open and airy crumb. My recipe uses a poolish (or biga if you prefer) for a bit more air inside.

Sourdough is a basic all white flour country loaf at 75% hydration.

View attachment 1254749 View attachment 1254750 View attachment 1254751 View attachment 1254752 View attachment 1254753
A bit more advanced than the bread rolls I made for Christmas lunch. Haven't yet gone to the extreme of trying to make artisan bread at home.

1704242583272.png

Reactions: 2 users
A bit more advanced than the bread rolls I made for Christmas lunch. Haven't yet gone to the extreme of trying to make artisan bread at home.

View attachment 1254762

Its all just flour, water and salt! Take your dinner roll recipe and put it in a Pullman pan and you've got sandwich bread. Eliminate the milk, add molasses and cocoa powder, use 60/40 wheat flour (or rye) to white flour and you've got a pumpernickel. Learning bakers math for recipes opens a lot of doors when it comes to breads. And also using only metric units (by weight) helps.

I'm gonna make spaghetti and italian sausage.. with Trader Joe's marinara sauce... you know, boil this, roast that, open the jar, microwave.... such a hard job.

Lately we've been reheating french / ciabatta bread rolls in the air fryer... and croissants... from freezer to air fryer... 8 minutes, done...

I'll post pictures of the Christma's roast when my daughter gets back from work... she took pictures, forgot to send them to me...

Our New Year's was Japanese..

Sous vide used both times...
Run the frozen bread under the faucet first, it'll be nearly as good as fresh baked coming out of the convection cooker.

With partial Slav roots (Irish and Scots the rest) made a wonderful pork roast for the grand children and their parents this afternoon -- reverse sear method -- roasted at 300F until the desired temp (several hours), rested for an hour, then into a 475 oven for 15 minutes. Perfect

In addition, did a slab of slow roasted ribs for the kids -- with a rub mostly salt, brown sugar, paprika, thyme, chili powder, salt and pepper.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have no idea, but I still make bread rolls by the dozen.

Interesting.... that would lead to think that bakers have twelve fingers... but my daughter only has ten... we counted her fingers and toes when she was born and nothing has changed... I asked her.

Perhaps a dozen is OK in the USA... indeed, 13 is fine amongst US bakers.. but we're still in that inch/foot/King's Cubit system.

Do bakers in Oz have 12 fingers?

Our kitchen counters tend to be 24" deep and 34 inches high... 32" for bathrooms. Add about an inch or inch and a half for the counter top.

I don't know how you can cook and do stuff in them metric counters.... so complicated.

BTW, when I grew up, the weight scales in Spain had the "pound" marks still... ~440 gm.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@Cal Weldon I only count as 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc....

@Fast14riot. You are defining a two dimensional counting system. (1,1,), (1,2), (1,3), (2,1), (2,2).... (4,3) The issue with that is that you are using a single thumb as pointer, so you can not move it the way you can pre-position the counting if you use two thumbs.... (1,1,1), (2,1,1), (1,1,2), (2,1,2).... (2, 4, 3)... and you also get a 24 count.

I would prefer at 10,10 hermitian matrix myself... everything is on the diagonal, so the dimensional conversions are trivial.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I used to work with Octal computers... remember the HP1000 series? It was a 16 bit machine. The front panel counted up to 177777 (base 8). You would load the value into the front panel and then load it into an address in the memory map... All in octal...

One of the best named items in EM is the Poynting vector

Christmas. Left - my plate. Right - my daughter's plate.

I still plate and present the food nicer than she does. ;-)

Attachments

• 64478.jpeg
    64478.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 37
  • 64477.jpeg
    64477.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Its all just flour, water and salt! Take your dinner roll recipe and put it in a Pullman pan and you've got sandwich bread. Eliminate the milk, add molasses and cocoa powder, use 60/40 wheat flour (or rye) to white flour and you've got a pumpernickel. Learning bakers math for recipes opens a lot of doors when it comes to breads. And also using only metric units (by weight) helps.

Some of us expect pumpernickel to be almost all rye flour and baked at a lower temperature for at least 12 hours to get the dark color. No cocoa, molasses or anything else is used for color.

First time I had a fake pumpernickel I was quite surprised.

Reactions: 1 user