The food thread

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Cal - yes, I do make my own crust. While in college, I managed a bakery/deli in the area here and we had a pastry chef who taught me how to make the bread dough every day.

I love working with the stuff and the smell in the kitchen of a rising bread dough.

If I use tortillas, do they need to be Canadian tortillas??? :D

Home-made gnocchi with a fast-cooked sauce made from red and yellow tomatoes from our garden, with olive oil, basil, and garlic, and some grated cheese. Very simple, terrific flavors, essence of summer.

Attachments

• gnocchi.JPG
    gnocchi.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 72
Home-made gnocchi with a fast-cooked sauce made from red and yellow tomatoes from our garden, with olive oil, basil, and garlic, and some grated cheese. Very simple, terrific flavors, essence of summer.

Exactly the kind of food that preserve the taste and flaver of products.
I am from belgium and like in other northern countries we lack the wonderfull small open markets of France and Italy and Spain where you find locals selling wonderfull local products naturally made ( although this is disapearing too).

Beeing not far from Paris, in Brussels there are special vendors going every day to Rungis ( the largest Professional food market in the world). You can still find perfect products but what should be normal becomes a luxury.

I have a pet theory: the more original and complex the taste of products the fastest you become saturated and you don't need to eat more.

In the northern countries where people are eating day to day tastless and uniform industrial food, people are overeating because of this lack and uniformity of taste.

JPV

JPV- My first trip to Italy was a revelation- I had spent years cooking "fancy" things, and here was pure simplicity and perfect ingredients. It changed everything I did in the kitchen. I can still do the fussy stuff and the sort of cooking that dominates the flavors of the ingredients, but I rarely do. Having a wife who is a skilled gardener has helped in the years since I left California (where a short drive to the farm will yield a dazzling variety of great produce). We eat with the seasons and even my non-vegetarian friends don't complain when they visit and dine with us.

took me two years to get a decent pasta cooking technique. We often go to Italy (and actually my next holiday is Dolomites, leaving on sunday) and am always amazed what you can do with two or three basic ingredients. In my opinion, leaves the "haute couture" cuisine francaise behind in terms of "pleasure".
Still struggling with the pizza margherita, but I have 40 years left to practice. :)
There was an italian market over here last spring where I bought a big chunk of seriously aged Sardinian smoked pecorino. Boy, magical.. Pasta, a few shaves, oil and garlic and you are up for a wonder.

Nice gnocchis SY, with those you may want to try this:

Domaine Milan - 2009

next to no sulfites so not sure if it can reach the other side of the pond safely..

Last edited:
Coincidentally, the wine we had with the gnocchi was the "sans soufre" version of Thierry Allemand's "Reynards" Cornas 1997. That had to be hand carried in my luggage to avoid the vicissitudes of sea and truck transport.

There was an italian market over here last spring where I bought a big chunk of seriously aged Sardinian smoked pecorino. Boy, magical.. Pasta, a few shaves, oil and garlic and you are up for a wonder.

I'd kill for some of that!

If you find yourself in the US, I'll have you making first-rate margherita in a day.