The food thread

That "black salt" is a wonderful flavour with a wonderful history. It comes from the Himalayas, from deposits that were discovered by Alexander the Great. It is an unusual salt, anywhere from pink to purple to black in colour, and yes, it contains a lot of iron and sulfur. It is a de rigeur component in Indian "chat masala" (along with amchur, or dried mango, and of course chilis), and has an unusual bitter and sulfurous flavour (as well as salty, of course). "Chat" simply means "snacks", and chat masala is served with street snacks like pakoras in India.

I use the pink for everything now, just enough "mystery" flavor enhancement.

ahh yes! spaghetti squash, I havent had that in years. it really needs quite a bit of added flavor though IMO, at least what ive had, tastes a bit like a slightly watery pumpkin yes? not like a good dry, sweet pumpkin, like a somewhat ordinary butternut squash. (I love butternut squash if its good) I have strong memories of having it with added butter and ground fresh nutmeg as a child.

the spaggetti squash I remember I would put in a similar, but not quite as bland, class as choko, do you guys get chokos there? (you may know as chayote). It grows almost wild here, it can be almost guaranteed to sprout and grow in, or near the compost heap, whether you can remember ever eating it in the residence or not :confused:

ahh yes! spaghetti squash, I havent had that in years. it really needs quite a bit of added flavor though IMO, at least what ive had, tastes a bit like a slightly watery pumpkin yes? not like a good dry,

I always wondered if putting something interesting between two layers and frying it crisp would make an interesting dish. It sort of comes out like shredded potato without all the work.

Chayote is very common here. Yeah, fairly bland.

yep, ive had the odd one that can be quite sweet and its a bit of a chameleon, takes on flavor of other things its served with. i've had it with apple in apple pie and that worked OK, but by itself.. nope.

I always wondered if putting something interesting between two layers and frying it crisp would make an interesting dish. It sort of comes out like shredded potato without all the work.

yeah perhaps, but do you think its really starchy enough to get it really crispy/crunchy like potato?

do you guys get chokos there?

Yes Chayote is here. So is everything else. This is one of the more ethnically diverse places in the world. We are very lucky.

Around here Spaghetti squash is most often split lengthwise, steamed or baked, turned upright and partly filled with sauce. On it's own I can't imagine why someone would eat it. It's the fun of scraping out the noodles that makes the dish.

Whatyall cooking for Father Day?

For mine we are doing:
Skillet crab cakes
Grilled frog legs
Steamed lobster tail with coconut sauce
Smoked lamb served cold
Veggie/egg Gai ding
Pan fried grated potato patties
Store bought Portuguese tarts
Cottage brewery beer

Have to feed the old guy well while he's still around. :)

Wishing you and yours the best this year.

Yes Chayote is here. So is everything else. This is one of the more ethnically diverse places in the world. We are very lucky.

yes we are ;)

Around here Spaghetti squash is most often split lengthwise, steamed or baked, turned upright and partly filled with sauce. On it's own I can't imagine why someone would eat it. It's the fun of scraping out the noodles that makes the dish.

I wouldnt either, I only remember it served as a side with butter and spice, as well as a similar dish to what you describe, with some sort of tomato sauce, cheese and breadcrumb stuffing. still wasnt so keen though.

for the old man, its a couple weeks off here, i'll think about it next week.

Pizza, of course. Following a salad of arugula and baby greens with balsamic vinaigrette and a fresh tomato concasse, we had pizza with roasted tomatoes and home-made mozzarella and pizza with goat cheese, pears, pepper, and a touch of mint.

2004 Juge Cornas, Cuvee C. Brilliant wine. We also opened a '93 Corton-Greves that was brutally corked, so poured down the drain.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Pizza here too. Grabbed some arugula for a salad. My fav tonight was the onion and mushroom pizza.

The family was really happy since it has been several months since I made pizza. SY, of course I am now hooked on the San Marzano tomatoes. They say it gets a bit better each time.

Sy, big dogs are vegos? ;)

I once had an acquaintance who tried to force that on her pet, bloody thing was neurotic and all neighbours and friends snuck him treats ;)

big fan of pumpkin, pine nut, chili, rocket and goats cheese pizzas, partial to margarita too, but all go better with small amount of meat ;) I will often have half half, just put some protein on one side (anchovies even), but I can only do vego for a change, its too bloody hard work otherwise and expensive too if you wanna stay healthy/do it properly

Very Simple Basic Dishes

2 room-temperature eggs cracked into swirling just-off-boiled water with white wine vinegar and salt. Exactly 3 mins, then onto Normandy buttered thick wholemeal toast. Black pepper topping.

Attachments

• PoachedEggs.jpg
    PoachedEggs.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 86