What are you drinking?

did somebody say beer?:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 5210586714_2b9cee9fcd_o.jpg
    5210586714_2b9cee9fcd_o.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 81
Right now, drinking a strong cup of Traders Joe's French roast with a bit of honey.
Scott - congratulations on yr retirement - jeet?

No joo?

Did you lose track of that 1942 Dumont scope? It should be at about 5 cents by now. For those who don't know, we had a vintage 1942 Dumont scope that we passed on under the understanding that the next price will be 1/2 the previous. We were at $7.50 IIRC in 1973. It came with a wonderful description of what to do to prevent it falling into enemy hands, which involved ripping up the manuals with bayonets before burning them and scattering the ashes. It ended with 86 - Destroy: destroy everything.

IMO since this was an official army document the term "to 86" something might have come from here.

Last edited:
Someone brought me that Hershey stuff over from Canada. Never tasted such bad chocolate in my life except Koetjesrepen which contain so little chocolate that they can't be called chocolate (they call them chocolate fantasy). https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koetjesreep

I think Hershey spends a lot on marketing as the english speaking person assured me it was good quality chocolate even after pulling a yuk face :D

The Hershey stuff (various tastes) had a strange cheesy taste in all the flavours I tried, it is not comparable with Lindt.

For possibly historical reasons, Hershey's chocolate is said to use partially lipolyzed milk which supposedly results in that taste from the creation of butyric acid. I don't find it that offensive as an American that grew up with it, but it is not comparable to good chocolate.

For possibly historical reasons, Hershey's chocolate is said to use partially lipolyzed milk which supposedly results in that taste from the creation of butyric acid. I don't find it that offensive as an American that grew up with it, but it is not comparable to good chocolate.

Interesting that I now live in the former Baker chocolate factory in Dorchester Lower Mills, Ma. In fact I look out over the second mill dam in the US used to drive the the granite cocoa mill. Apparently chocolate had a kind of medicinal almost mystical fascination in the 18th century with even some sold as homeopathic medication.

The term German chocolate came from a Samuel German who devised his own sweetened chocolate product.