John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't need any delay.
My amp is running smoothly since decades with this protection. I have made hundred of short circuit demonstrations at all power levels with no damage, and no fear, and never heard any clic or parasitic noise. Just a very luxurious silence.
You can let the short circuit as long as you want, despite the > 1000VA power supply and 2X75 V rails, 5 seconds after you remove-it, the music is back again. That's all.
And my protection never fire in normal usage.
Even without soft start, there is never the slightness noise during power-on or off. And the amp only turn green when power rails are stabilised and caps charged. More than that, if i make some bad hot connection at the input, with the amp powered, no noise neither: the protection takes care of that.
Delay for the protection is something we don't need, only negative effects.
And if the protection fire because you are listening at home at 10% distortion level, who want to listen to any music in a high end system in such a situation ?

My question was about clipping. When an amp clips, the divided-down output falls short of the input and that should trigger the protection. If it doesn't, the protection doesn't do its job.
So you probably would want a delay to make sure that short-time clipping (and EVERY amp clips short-time during music play) doesn't lead to what John calls nuisance tripping.
Are you sure there's no delay of some sort in your protection?

jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Why would this be the case ? If for example my volume is adjusted such that a 0 dB fs test tone from my CD player is (with some margin) less than the amplifiers input sensitivity, how would it clip ?

You are right, it is always possible to set it up like you say that it will not clip, but in practise that would be a volume level that most people would find too low. Except with very high power amps.
But you're right, my comment was too general.

jan

You are right, it is always possible to set it up like you say that it will not clip, but in practise that would be a volume level that most people would find too low. Except with very high power amps.
But you're right, my comment was too general.

So was this one. :D gk7 is correct for digital sources (assuming no overshoot from the reconstruction filters), but crazy as it sounds, some people use analog sources where the max levels are rather ill-defined.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Clip the signal before input just under the max you amp can afford, and the protection will never have to deal with this problem. More than that, it will be better for the amp to never saturate near the rails.
That's a philosophy I heartily endorse. When I read about phono preamps with 34dB overload margins being required, I wonder what power amplifier and speakers one deploys to support multi-kilowatt transients!

And with proper design, clippers can be produced that have undetectable distortion outside of onset of clipping.

Brad

World can be crazy. When i was working for TV sound tracks in France, professional digital recorders where set at -18db from full bits for 0db reference level.
In the TV channels, the verification services used peak meters and young guys looking at them all day long to ensure that no soundtrack goes louder than +3db.
How to loose the15 best defined dbs of all the sound channel, including emitters. !!!!

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The point of making a commercial product that high-end would buy (JC's designs) is that YOU, the designer, cannot ASSUME it will not be used where clipping will not happen. And, nusience tripping is not tolerated by consumer for any reason what so ever. The delay in the response time is to be sure it is a serious and sustained over-drive condition and not just playing the music loud on a few occassional peaks.
How this is done in the design varies and the approach discussed here can be adapted to such market demands. For one-off use with knowledgable people to adjust to individual apps is a different story. Thx - RNM

nusience tripping is not tolerated by consumer for any reason what so ever.
And i would not tolerate it neither when i listen music.
...As well as i do not tolerate clipping.

In an other way i remember that, during the 70s, we designed a consumer level amp with a sensible protection and a light changing its color, and, at this time, customers where very attracted by this protection. Like an extra gadget they loved to demonstrate to their visitors, tuning the volume to the max to fire the protection, as well as magazines wrote rave reviews about that..
At the end, i believe that customers can love what you design, if there is a good reason for your design and if you argue about. May-be the 70s custommers were more intelligent, to prefer some rare "nuisance tripping" to a burned amp or destroyed loudspeaker ?

Well an indicator showing that clipping occurs is enough and a good educational thing.
I don't see why some would like to spend a fortune to buy a 0.0000000001% hd amp to play it at 20% distortion.

Delay is not a requirement for a protection, only a design flaw. No tripping is the requirement, yes, as well as very fast protection. My protection idea can respond to that with no inconvenience, period.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I am clarifying the situation about what JC's delay refers and why from hard, practical, in the field comments from consumer, dealers (especially) and reviewers.
- not so much commenting on your particular design or its abilities and capabilities.

Comment on clipping lights. From experience, dealers and consumers dont like them. When they play music, that has high crest factor, they feel they must turn the level down until zero clipping, then the average volume is too low. A lot of the time people are listening to their amps clipping. The others cant afford very high power amps which wont clip and speakers that dont compress and can take the power and too few really high sensitivity speakers to choose from. It doesnt solve the problem for consumers and dealers who have to try and sell lower power amps with typical low sens speakers which people will play at high volume. they would just as soon not know their amps are clipping, especially the dealers, rather than listen at faint average levels on low eff spkers.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Since this is about high-end circuits -- JC's -- the best high end approach -- IMO -- is to have amp with enough power that it wont clip at the highest safe listening levels with the speakers of choice in the room size it will be played. And, for sources of a standard output level to never be able to overdrive the power amp into clipping. Then protection is for a truely abnormal condition in which shutdown is warrented. Its a goal. Thx- RNm

Comment on clipping lights. From experience, dealers and consumers dont like them. When they play music, that has high crest factor, they feel they must turn the level down until zero clipping, then the average volume is too low. A lot of the time people are listening to their amps clipping. The others cant afford very high power amps which wont clip and speakers that dont compress and can take the power and too few really high sensitivity speakers to choose from. It doesnt solve the problem for consumers and dealers who have to try and sell lower power amps with typical low sens speakers which people will play at high volume. they would just as soon not know their amps are clipping, especially the dealers, rather than listen at faint average levels on low eff spkers.

Let me respectfully disagree. I give a freedom, a choice to the user, either to ignore the light and listen to compressed on 80W / channel level, or to reduce power below 80W / channel so lights don't flash. Either they choose "Louder", really louder than any other amp that clips on 80W, but much cleaner, or they choose softer, but fair dynamic range reproduction.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Most people would rather have a switch to defeat the lights..... esp annoying to have flashing lights in a darkened room while listening. All these ideas have been seen by dealers and it is usually the dealers who get and give the feedback and that is what I am telling here. Your arguement isnt with me.... its with dealers.
[ You might note the Japanese and Asia brands have dimming on most everything and off for front panel lights.... they have to do this because of dealer/customer feedback.] -RNM

Status
Not open for further replies.