John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idss is controlled by another variable, does anyone know what it is?

Do you? Come on John on these short channel JFET's there is some variance from drawn geometry and you CAN'T see it in a microscope. The Idss probably has most of its variation from implant dose. The basic equations are readily available for Vp, Idss, and Cgs,gd vs geometry, junction depth, doping, etc.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Hm, let me re-phrase. Since the absolute value of said capacitance isn't what I'd be after, is there enough variability in samples of the same device, say a few 2sk170 to warrant measurement and ranking? Any easy way to gauge the capacitance of interest visually? Like SY's suggestion?

Well, everyone, I was told this morning by Edwin Oxner, consultant to Siliconix and Interfet, author of books on FET design, and friend to Linear Systems, that Idss is primarily caused by differences in resistivity of the silicon material. He said that if they were made with GaAs, they could all have virtually the same Idss, because the material can be controlled more easily. That's what he says, I am only the messenger.
PS. He liked the pictures of Burning Amp that Kirkwood Rough sent him. Kirkwood is next on the list to ask.

Speaking of geometry, anything that can be derived from this picture ?

(i'm a food hoarder, the kids overhere call me a fat, dumb, old, bald guy. Dirty is somewhere in there as well, but i forgot the rank)

Attachments

• Yam-J inside.jpg
    Yam-J inside.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 275
Well, everyone, I was told this morning by Edwin Oxner, consultant to Siliconix and Interfet, author of books on FET design, and friend to Linear Systems, that Idss is primarily caused by differences in resistivity of the silicon material. He said that if they were made with GaAs, they could all have virtually the same Idss, because the material can be controlled more easily. That's what he says, I am only the messenger.
PS. He liked the pictures of Burning Amp that Kirkwood Rough sent him. Kirkwood is next on the list to ask.

Not for short channel JFETs like 2SK170, that also have the channel doping controlled by ion implantation.

What Ed is telling is a good approximation for long channel JFETs, like the 2N5458.

You are welcomed, I'll eventually send you the bill :rofl:

Scott, I am only the messenger. Do you know who Ed Oxner is? Would you like to talk to him about this? I will give you his phone #. He was driving in his car when I called, so I did not ask for further detail, but he likes to teach. How about it?

I don't want to put him on the spot, I don't think he was fully thinking about your question. 1) I have seen no GASFET's that were any better than silicon ones for Idss spread. 2) GASFETs have little or no use at audio frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.