John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think its funny that, because there are tracks for setting azimuth, which is best done with a scope you think that gives them scientific chops to say a track on an LP can remove (unproven) magnetic effects from playing tracks on LPs.

Decide for yourself... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xam-1pKc_w

BTW I don't think I have a stand alone test disk that does not include pink noise (the RCA series went over several LP's and pink noise was only on 1 or 2 IIRC)

Last edited:
I wonder if you can demagnetise CDs the same way.... :D

Sure :D

demagnetizer.jpg

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill, there's the Terminator linear tracking arm from a guy that participates/d on here, linear tracker.

But linear trackers still have to have VTA and azimuth adjusted.
VTA and azimuth yes, antiskate is no longer an issue. Of course which azimuth? Was an interesting discussion on here not long ago about the difference between coil azimuth and stylus azimuth.
Did anyone here try the guy's method of connecting the hots? You really have no excuse not to try it and report observations...

Its hot on one side to cold on the other. Problem with testing it is what are you measuring before and after? You can't A/B it unless you do a rip and the action of unplugging and replugging connectors could have a greater effect if controls were not in place.

Actually azimuth is more about the needle tip than anything else. Ideally it's aligned because the coil/magnet will work better, but we aren't always so lucky. The tip is often inserted slightly off. The most clarity, balance, and bass you can achieve will be by getting it correct. Aligning just the stylus needle or cartridge doesn't achieve much necessarily unless the tip is aligned well. Test tracks for this will work, but it can be done by ear as well by listening to several albums and moving it to achieve a center image as well as some balance. I don't recommend trying it with just one album because albums are not always perfectly centered, even with mono. The sweet spot will prove to have most bass and much clearer vocals that have considerable depth to their character.

As far as "demagnetizing" I'd just listen to an album, at least one track. Then use alligator clips to connect the two hots to the two opposite colds. Play whatever LP for awhile. Then fire up the track you first listened to. No it's not scientific but if there's an obvious notable difference THEN spending the time to setup a network analization might be worth your time (you need supposedly 300hrs in-between, so maybe use a different cartridge or come back to it later). If it's not readily apparent than it's hard to account for variations in play by play of your test track so it's a fruitless exercise since the measurements will be inconclusive. My experience however is that it's so audibly notable that measuring isn't valuable except if you just want to see what happened instead of hear. It was nothing short of the difference of say adding a tweeter to a supposed fullrange single driver speaker.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
And that is where you might be wrong on Azimuth. The optimal position for the stylus might leave you a channel imbalance in the coils but one of the main benefits is optimised stylus friction. channel imbalance can be adjusted for after all.

Fascinating how many things have been forgotten since the late 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.