John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Destroyer,
sounds like wishful thinking to me, some expectation bias. What can you put in a record groove that does anything but move the stylus no matter what the waveform?

I'm glad you're around to keep me straight. You're so science.

Please explain to me why I can hear the pink noise significantly change volume as I play the tracks the recommended repeated time. I can't understand where this bias came from, since it doesn't say it'll do that on the instructions. Also should I stop buying Analog Production LP's because they could be made be mixing in this snake oil from their test LP to their music LP's? Thank goodness you drove some sense into me before I used an oscilloscope or IMD meter on the other tracks from those swindlers...

Here is a model of my MC phono cartridge. Please note: there is a piece of magnetic material that the coils surround that is NOT a direct part of the major magnet structure. This is what gets demagnetized.

Attachments

• Picture 119.jpg
    Picture 119.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 206
That's OK we're behind you, OTOH maybe it's just a waste of time.

It just feels like the contrapositive form of Don Quixote tilting at windmills.
:(

Things will, by and large, march on, fortunately. Whether people are left kicking and screaming along the way.

I'd hope we can all agree that we're all guilty of "Still a man hears what he wants to hear. And disregards the rest"

Likewise, hope everyone gets to enjoy the music, however they get there.

Max (Dan), I'm just teasing Kindo a little.

It's very easy to hear the changes, they're audible differences in more than 3db. Once the process is complete you get a good bump in performance. It's recommended every 300hrs.

John's showing the parts. Something about the types of pink noise (two tracks) reduces the magnetism in part of the cartridge that naturally builds up over time, from the purposely magnetized parts.

Last edited:
This is not recommended at all at any time. But once I attached a headphone magnet to phono cartridge to hear the sound quality difference. The video link is posted here in post #8.
I repeat again this is not recommended. Somewhere in the forum there is also another video of stylus drag effects and acoustic feedback on turntable.
Regards

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is a model of my MC phono cartridge. Please note: there is a piece of magnetic material that the coils surround that is NOT a direct part of the major magnet structure. This is what gets demagnetized.

John- Do you really believe that only one cartridge mfr realized that in play the magnet is in a different place than when "relaxed"? Also if you follow the magnetic fields etc. you will see its not a very efficient transducer.

If you look at how the active cartridge demagnitizer works it will "trap" the magnetic field into the armature as its field is relaxed, similar to how bias works on a tape recorder. Its not demagnitizing the cartridge. I would suggest using it with the stylus on a record.

If a track is changing the output of a cartridge it should be trivial to measure/plot the changes. And if it changes think of how it will change when playing music. If you had a speaker (driver) that changed output over time with signal you would want to change it or the speaker would never be useful.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nobody is paying an additional $10.00 to add an ESS chip to a cell phone, that is nuts! When your talking millions of phones every penny is being counted and evaluated. If you added a $10.00 dollar item to a Harman/JBL product that would raise the end price by $100.00, not going to happen for any company who is seriously producing high volume products.

While the mobile version of the chip ES9018K2M is not $10 in volume it is way more than any competitor. (A competitor was explaining to me how nuts the market is.) At least the power is down enough that it can be used in a phone. In China its a significant selling point. That's why ESS was developing "the worlds best headphone amp" chip. Getting end user demand for an IC is every semiconductor company's wet dream. Most can't market their way out of a flea market.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Samsung battery scandal is amazing. I was flying across the east coast today, and hearing announcements at the gates in in the airplanes that the Samsung was not allowed on board, well, that's gotta hurt. I don't remember ever hearing anything like that before.

I was in US airspace last week and what they said was that it was not allowed in checked bagage, only in carry on, and fully switched off, not just a/c mode.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
John's showing the parts. Something about the types of pink noise (two tracks) reduces the magnetism in part of the cartridge that naturally builds up over time, from the purposely magnetized parts.

If that would work (which I think it does not) it would also work by just playing music. Long term, music is just noise ��

Edit Demian agreement with your take on it.

Jan

Last edited:
Track 2 was loud-ish pink noise, track 3 was quiet. By about play 8 or 9 (I did 10-11, lost count on one) track 2 was quiet like track 3. (Track 2&3 are the "demagnatizers")

Jan, you're no fool but... do I trust you over the engineers at Analogue Production for vinyl related matters before the preamp? Um, no, that would be absurd. But I don't necessarily believe "demagnetize" is an accurate description. From what I've been looking around some say degauss, some say clean with ultrasonics. But I'm not the only one that has found the benefits. Oh and it appears demagnetizing MC carts is recommended by many MC manufacturers, YouTube videos about it, etc.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, you're no fool but... do I trust you over the engineers at Analogue Production for vinyl related matters before the preamp? .

Your call of course. But I believe you use the term 'engineers' a bit loose here ;-)
Of course those 'engineers' have to sell product, which I don't.
So, when you think about it (again that magic word!) all sorts of perspectives appear.

Jan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm glad you're around to keep me straight. You're so science.
Please explain to me why I can hear the...

Your contribution here would have been much more productive if you had used that oscilloscope or better if you had made a recording (pick-up points at the input and at the output of your RIAA pre).
There is a chance that presenting here some hard facts would have spared you the unwelcome sarcasm.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.