And what did we buy today?

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me.
Set of Toyota Tacoma 23250-62030 fuel injectors
20x T10 incandescent blue tint Halogen Xenon globes
Android phone compatible USB endoscope (works great)
T5 sockets
BA9S bulbs warm white
Sony SL-HF100 Betamax player
200x VHS tapes
A new A/C condenser for my 1997 Toyota Camry car
50x Betamax tapes + negotiating for 100x more.
REAN NYS322G 5-pin DIN MIDI connectors

And a Toshiba V-33 Betamax player. Betamax PALsite: V-33 : Overview

Always wanted one of these, now can check that off the bucket list.
Found it on Craigs List; a quick ride over to Alexandria Va (Ha, at 4:45am).
It is used, but not much.

Attachments

• powermatic.jpg
    powermatic.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Always wanted one of these

Do you see some really big speaker cabinets in your future?

I took about 35,000 pictures on a recent vacation trip, which I am trying to use to make some time lapse videos. The render times on my core i7 PC were like overnight for a few minutes of video. OK, there is no video card in the PC, just Intel on chip graphics, so I watch for a deal on a decent card that fits my minimalistic budget. In early June I find a GTX1050 for $129, so I buy it and put it in the PC. It improved render times from ten hours to tens of minutes.

The PC began to act funny on boot up, often requiring a few stabs of the reset button to get it started. I ignore it and it works fine otherwise.

I'm trying to make some audio tracks for my videos using Ableton Live. I have been using a 15 year old PCI (not PCI express) M-Audio Delta 1010 interface. It has worked fine over the years but I have been looking for an upgrade. I have built a DIY music synthesizer and there is a faint raspy sound in the background that's only heard when using this interface.

Again the budget thing is the killer. The interface I liked cost $600 and nobody offers a deal, it's $600 everywhere. Its excluded from any of the sales on Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, etc, so I put it in the back of my mind.

About 2 weeks ago I get one of those flash sale deals from Ebay......20% off EVERYTHING. Last time that happened I got two new guitars, then sold the old ones for more than the new ones cost......This time..... I wonder if that $$$$ interface is available on Ebay, and Is EVERYTHING really EVERYTHING......yes and yes!

A shiny new Focusrite Clarett 4 PRE USB interface arrived in the mail last week along with a "bundle" of cables and goodies to hook it up. So I open the box, plug the USB cable into the back of my PC, and the PC will not boot........DEAD......3 beeps from the POST kinda dead. Google tells me its bad memory kinda dead.

So I rip the PC apart, strip it down to the bare minimum, power supply, motherboard, CPU, one memory stick. Still dead. Swap memory, and power supply, still dead. This means it's the CPU or the motherboard.

Fortunately I have another motherboard, a tiny Mini ITX board with the same Z97M support chip on it, so I play musical CPU chips. The motherboard is dead. Better than the CPU, a new MB is cheaper, but generally not available for old CPU chips like the one I have.....I'll start looking for one.

I swap the Mini ITX test board into the big 4 RU case and install the new video card into the only slot in the little motherboard. It works fine and still runs all the installed software from the existing hard drives. No driver updates were needed and I didn't even have to reauthorize Windows.

I'm still hooking up all the audio stuff and figuring out how to route the audio and MIDI to the new interface.

It is only second to the Dragon below Knoxville/Maryville at Deals gap in our area.

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap – Motorcycle and sport car tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, Diamondback, Blue Ridge Parkway, and more.

Elevation change for 421 isn't that great, probably around 2K.

Snake 421 Ride Information | The Snake 421 Motorcycle Road

I ride out 91 through Elizabethton to Shady valley, and then back either through Bristol or Mountain City.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Tubelab, I repaired several workstation and server motherboards by replacing the filter capacitors on the Cpu and chip set power rails. The ones near the power mosfets are the first to fail. Due to the extremely fast rise time of the CPU core current on modern processors, a slight ESR increase is enough to prevent the processor from exiting the POST. Degraded power supply capacitors will exacerbate the issue. The power supply will still work for a while, but when you check the output with the scope, you see a lot of noise/ripple.

Took advantage of Arrow's deal on a free RPi 3b if you spend >$50 usd. Got my brother a cheapo DMM for home, a bunch of heat shrink tubing, a microsd for the RPi and 10x FJL4315 (Onsemi 2SC5200's) for eventual amp project(s). I'll pick up the complements on a later order (they were out of the TO264 package 2SA1943/equiv).

And given my nature on a bicycle, I'm not allowed to own a motorcycle. Or everyone should take a life insurance policy out on me. Pretty sure you'd find me at the bottom of some canyon after taking one corner too quick and finding gravel at the apex. At least having to power a bike myself means I can't get in trouble as fast. :)

It is only second to the Dragon below Knoxville/Maryville at Deals gap in our area.

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap – Motorcycle and sport car tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, Diamondback, Blue Ridge Parkway, and more.

Elevation change for 421 isn't that great, probably around 2K.

Snake 421 Ride Information | The Snake 421 Motorcycle Road

I ride out 91 through Elizabethton to Shady valley, and then back either through Bristol or Mountain City.

If you're over this way, you might want to give the Pig Trail a try. It's a handful even with a high performance car.

Weekend scenic drive along Highway 23, AKA The Pig Trail | Roadtrippers

Personally, I think you ought to skip these guy's ^^^^ suggestions, and just run 23 from I-40 all the way to Eureka Springs. Far more interesting, imho.

Win W5JAG

Last edited:
I repaired several workstation and server motherboards by replacing the filter capacitors on the Cpu and chip set power rails.

I stuck the core i7 in another MB and put the PC back together. This leaves me with a good core i5 chip and no motherboard. It looks like Z97M boards for these old 4th generation CPUs have all dried up and even used ones are fetching big bucks on Ebay.

I may go poking around with some parallel low ESR caps to see if it helps. The slow failure doesn't seem like dead silicon. That stuff usually works or it doesn't. This just degraded slowly for a few weeks then died.....sounds like a dried up cap to me.

And given my nature on a bicycle, I'm not allowed to own a motorcycle.

There have been 5 collisions between me on a bicycle and a car in my lifetime. The last time I was broadsided in a crosswalk by an old guy who ran a red light and I was ticketed and charged with the accident! Motorcycle, no way! Bicycle, only on a trail or other place where cars are not allowed.