And what did we buy today?

A pair of old Koss 2+2 quadraphonic headphones. They are great fun

Also got a Yamaha RX-V2700 7.1 HT receiver. It's a beast. Paid less for it than I did for the headphones.

I just saw a picture of some quadra-phonic headphones, pretty intense...

“A new fridge/freezer as the hot weather has got to my 20 year old fridge/freezer.”

I just bought a ductless heating/air conditioner, so I may not be spending as much on audio in the following months...

oneplus-6-5.jpg

And
FC9331_09-_FP-global-001

A pair of old Koss 2+2 quadraphonic headphones. They are great fun

We sold those in the Olson store where I worked in 1971 and 1972. I had a Craig Pioneer quad 8 Track player in my car. We tried connecting up a pair of the Koss phones, but the realism just wasn't the same as the 4 speakers.

There was a Guess Who quad tape where the words "hang on to your life...life...life" ran one direction around the car while the lead guitar went the opposite direction.....and there were the Moody Blues quad tapes, all quite spooky under the right circumstances. DSOTM was another good quad tape.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Finally joined the 21st century and bought a 43 inch Sony 4K Bravia HDR HDTV, and a BDP-80 blue ray disk player to go with it. (A 21 year old 27 inch analog Sony V series set was its predecessor)

Oh, a wall mount for the TV, and a rack for the pile of amplifiers that have been living on the floor..

All I can say is I am glad I waited, the TV is quite satisfactory and did not cost a fortune, something with comparable performance would have been several thousand dollars not too many years ago.

All that of course excludes the new amplifiers and crossovers I designed and built over the past 3 months.

My room is 3.3 meters across and 5.2 meters long... I think I have filled it up pretty well.

Attachments

• 20180701_091158.jpg
    20180701_091158.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 183
Bought a bunch of LED lights/bulbs on ebay.

A 24 LED round taillight to do one of my pet projects, a recessed 3rd taillight that's visible when the tailgate is down on my small utility trailer.

And why not make the trailer all LED? So, 6 194-type LED bulbs for the running lights, amber and red to match lens colour. And 2 1157-type LED bulbs for the taillights, white because of the clear lens for the plate. I was tempted to spend a couple of more bucks for switchback bulbs, but decided that was too over-the-top, even for me.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Speaking of fridge/freezers.

Had a close call on my mums upright freezer tonight. As I was picking up a mouse trap from next to the freezer I noticed that my hand was cold and wet and I opened the freezer door and the seal had popped out of its rim, I simply popped it back into place and all was well again.

Makes you wonder weather or not they should've used a gasket cement to bond the seal to the door frame a little bit when it left the factory. I might end up doing that some day.

Last edited:
A Hagerman "Piccolo 2" for the Denon 103 I purchased in April. Considered a pair of SUT, but the head amp offered much more flexibility per $$$.

Finally joined the 21st century and bought a 43 inch Sony 4K Bravia HDR HDTV, and a BDP-80 blue ray disk player to go with it. (A 21 year old 27 inch analog Sony V series set was its predecessor)...

...All I can say is I am glad I waited, the TV is quite satisfactory and did not cost a fortune, something with comparable performance would have been several thousand dollars not too many years ago.

About 10 years ago I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital TV era. I thought I'd bite once the LCD/Plasma slugfest was decided, but the jerky motion on those 60 Hz LCD sets annoyed me. I finally bit the bullet once the 120 Hz sets became firmly established (read cheap) in the marketplace. Incidentally that one also replaced a 27" Sony V-series set.

Excellent work on those amps, by the way! Did you describe them in another thread? And is that a ham/shortwave regen receiver I see in the upper left? Enquiring minds want to know! :D

Got a coffee lake processor, motherboard and tower cooler.
The tower cooler threw me for a while.
I then realised there were two cooler modes, Intel and AMD and they had supplied parts for both.
I managed to sort out the Intel parts and put aside the AMD parts.
Then form the manual and some common sense managed to work out how it all went together. There is a thick plastic plate that goes beneath the motherboard and a huge heatsink with two fans on top of the motherboard and cpu.
I got it working in the end and its about 40% quicker than my old Skylake processor.
Been using the onboard graphics rather than a power hungry PCIe graphics card.
Loads more space inside the pc now.
While the motherboard was out I dusted the inside of the pc where it had 2 years of dust. The power supply input air vent was about 90% blocked with dust so gave that a good clean. I still had an old hard drive in there took that out for more room for my SSD drives.

A PC can collect a surprising amount of dust inside. What bugs me most are the entry points, many of which turn out to be connectors of various types. Whenever I'm blowing out my tower, I always have to remember to give all the "crunchy" ports a blast. Air-tightness is obviously not a design consideration at this price point.