And what did we buy today?

Bottle of SmokeHead Whiskey (rock edition, FWIW)

... and a new toy:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Of course, the obligatory topless shot:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2w of push-pull glowy valve goodness.

Goes pretty loud hooked up to this old Laney cabinet, which I got at a local Cash Converters for £15. There's an old HH speaker in there, so my guesstimate is 1980s. Older than me :D

Chris

Bumping this again with a few of my recent purchases. No pictures of my own at the mo, but I'll put some up from Google...

A pair of Das Audio RF12 PA speakers. Rather nice 12" + 1" comp. driver - they've replaced the Behringer studio monitors I used to use as a stereo. While the PA speakers might lack the last bit of audio definition (I haven't listened critically, so can't say for sure), they'll play anything at all, at any volume, and it'll sound decent enough for me to enjoy the music, rather than dive at the controls to try to fix something that's not quite right. £175/pr - got a very good deal.

Next up, a 30m XLR snake, 4 up, 8 down. Nothing exciting there.
Also a Behringer 2-channel compressor, MDX2600. Sounds rather nice, though doesn't see use in my stereo - I don't go near the limits of the amplifier (250w/ch), so there's not much need.
A 6U flight case, and a load of XLR cables.

Last thing (bought today on eBay):
$(KGrHqFHJF!FHh)UJC1!BR75qD7oH!~~60_35.JPG

A McGregor G6 mixer-amp - 6 channels, 200w@8ohm, 300w@4ohm, spring-line reverb. £60.

All this stuff is (partly) in aid of a folk band I'll be helping with. I'm sure other uses will appear.

Chris

Over the past 2 months:
An ersa Analogue solder station and some tips
Chinese transistor test meter (uncased)
Some used heatsinking

A couple of vintage DMM from EB, some new leads for same, components to build LC's VSSA, also a few components to finish another amp's PS and a 500gm reel of solder + flux paste. Good few records and CDs. Missed a closed down cinema's sound system..too late as it had been junked away.

Put out machining work on 1/4" alloy sheeting to make some chassis (for a new pre and the VSSA)

Last edited:
I'm wondering how to best employ these two A4 heatsinks, they are monsters at 55mm high.

I'm building a 4-Channel F5 but I'm at a loss as to how to mount the heatsinks.

Not bad for something chucked out at work.

Sensible thing to do is to have them machined to 4U height but that is criminal when huge heatsinks are so expensive and oftem impossible to obtain.

Attachments

• DSIR9595.JPG
    DSIR9595.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 178
Samson Servo-550, plus a 4U rack case.

The amp's 3U, so I'll put an active crossover in there too, bridge the amp and that's my sub add-on rack sorted - sub itself is a Tannoy T40, the one with the nice RCF driver in there.
The other rack has a graphic eq, compressor and another of the same amp, not bridged, driving a couple of 12" tops.

Just fired it all up and it sure is a lot of noise :D

Chris