And what did we buy today?

The aforementioned amp cooked the aforementioned sub.

Pair of Eminence Kilomax 15"s, slightly used on eBay - £200 delivered. Pretty much a drop-in replacement for that cabinet (a replacement RCF driver would be £160). dB or so here and there, but close enough. Definitely enough power handling this time around.

I'll snap a couple of photos when they arrive.

Chris

alpha 12a.jpg
I found a pair of these in the local Trading post for $80.00.
Blown tweeters, but new diaphrams on their way already.
For less than $150.00 I have some fun and handy powered speakers.

Dan.

Picked up a QSC USA 850 for £90. Couldn't pass it up.

Specs come to 425w/ch @4ohm, will just about stick 2ohm, but will get very hot. Bags of power, but its another class AB amp with a mahoosive ~1kVA transformer. It ain't light.

Fan cooled, so it won't get stupid-hot like the amp its replaced: a convection-cooled shallow-mount amp in a deep flight case isn't a good idea - the 3mm ally front got hot (probably arond 60C) to the touch, so I'd hate to think what the heatsink etc was like. Didn't thermal shutdown, but I wouldn't want it running like that again.

Chris

The speakers i use are YAMAHA NS1000M well known in the market and very revealing.

The amps are two american CARY tube amps model 40M using 6SL7 and EL34 tubes.
In this test the EL34 are NOS Philips EL34 of the XF2 series (the best).

The Yamaha crossover was using mainly NICHICON capacitors using metalised paper.
Resently , I replaced every capacitor with a new brand "jb" .

The CDs i use for the test are very good Cds , classic music and jazz mainly.
I know them very well and can hear the difference well.

The jb capacitor JFX has good audio imaging and you can hear obviously more details than with the nichicon.
I think this is because they are wounded very tight. Maybe you can try them

Just got a NAD C350 . :)

Actually, I just won it on eBay.
It looks to be about pristine and is said to work perfectly.
The seller even has the manual and original box.

Anyway, it will be nice to try an amp that had/has meaningful published specs...... including important things like ... like "damping factor". :)
Hopefully, I can now get ride of the POS amp that I'm presently using

Last edited:
BTW, I do understand damping factor and how varying speaker impedance etc can effect it..
The best amp that I ever had (Heathkit 1640) only had a DF of 50 but, it was paired with fantastic speakers that were a great match for it..

In any event I wonder how the NAD (speaker) "impedance Sensing Circuit" works as it relates to damping factor?

Last edited: