Tang Band Tang Band W8Q-1071F 8 X 12 box reccomendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi permo,

"...May have to build something even nastier and bigger for downstairs. Although I don't know why I would need it."

That's always the question, isn't it. Maybe read through this thread, it's not finished yet, but the Epic 12" is one stout woofer.

Regards,

I know that bass is bass, but and that the term "quick" or "fast" doesn't make technical sense, but this TQWT has an amazing sound. Like nothing i have ever heard. I can see how this kind of ease and output could be addicting.

A well executed DIY job is always rewarding...

Now....if only I knew how to design them myself!

In time grasshopper,in time... :D

The one in the picture is upstairs in my house, it's supposed to be temporary as my main listening room is being build downstairs. I have a feeling I am not going to want to part with it. May have to build something even nastier and bigger for downstairs. Although I don't know why I would need it.

Why not involve SWMBO to camouflage your creation: Picture example:

I have been seeing what this thing can do this morning, and clearly this thing is capable of massive amounts of low frequency output in my room. I had to turn it down on a few tracks well before maximum output just for the safety of my ears and so my house would stop rattling. crazy!

Time to renew the House insurance?

Also, although it hurt my ears a lot, I took a look in the throat while the speaker was putting out considerable bass. Hardly any air coming out and the speakers barley moving. Talk about making a lot of sound out of minimal excursion.

Your sub is a point-source pressure device, the T-TQWT internal air volume velocity is converted into pressure at the port,wasting very little power to sweep the floor in front of the terminus if you have an adequate HPF.

thanks so much for the help guys! I love it.

Oliver is the one who should recieve credits for this design: My contribution is if compared with his IMO very modest..

b:)

PS: The potted-plant placed on top of the enclosure is an Hoya...needs little water and a share of double-bass music in order to flourish. ;)

Attachments

• Permo-hide-sub.JPG
    Permo-hide-sub.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 326
A well executed DIY job is always rewarding...

In time grasshopper,in time... :D

Why not involve SWMBO to camouflage your creation: Picture example:

Time to renew the House insurance?

Your sub is a point-source pressure device, the T-TQWT internal air volume velocity is converted into pressure at the port,wasting very little power to sweep the floor in front of the terminus if you have an adequate HPF.

Oliver is the one who should recieve credits for this design: My contribution is if compared with his IMO very modest..

PS: The potted-plant placed on top of the enclosure is an Hoya...needs little water and a share of double-bass music in order to flourish. ;)

I love the pic! I actually think it might be a good idea to add some colorful formica or something of that nature to the front. and figure out what plants love low frequency output.

My next one will surely be built from 3/4 oak or baltic with stain, and varnish and trimmed out. I am thinking more of a big, massive chunk of a rectangle. Something that could double as an end table or ottoman.

I was thinking last night, that I have heard bass of this nature before, and it just came to me. When I was in high school I went to a white zombie concert and I was in the pit. The bass that came from the 100 foot tall wall of speakers/amplifiers was similar. It has that fast, chest thumping impact.

I am completely awestruck at the sound and capabilities of this thing. Additionally, it should be known, that this is with a 150 watt amplifier driving the thing.

Hi permo,

Post #144: "...I am thinking more of a big, massive chunk of a rectangle. Something that could double as an end table or ottoman."

Interesting that you would say that, I have been sketching around on a T-TQWT that would take a single fold T-TQWT (or even a TH), and fold it again, so that you end up with something looking more like a cube (actually it would still be longer in one direction). Looks like it will come together fine.

Regards,

Hi permo,

Post #144: "...I am thinking more of a big, massive chunk of a rectangle. Something that could double as an end table or ottoman."

Interesting that you would say that, I have been sketching around on a T-TQWT that would take a single fold T-TQWT (or even a TH), and fold it again, so that you end up with something looking more like a cube (actually it would still be longer in one direction). Looks like it will come together fine.

Regards,

You have my attention? What driver's do you have in mind? I see that PE has the dayton audio classic 15 on special!

:2c: :spin: The only driver that makes sense to use in a boxed sub of the two mentioned T3 Audio 12" drivers is the one with dual coils that must be used with the coils in series or with paralleled coils in order to set Qes to Qes/2 thus Qts to around ~0.42.

IMO,the one with one coil would only suit an IB system or an OB main speaker design.

Really glad to see this project worked out so well! Good job bjorno and others who helped out so much!

-----------------------

What a great read! Thank you.

Check this baby out.....

T3 Audio T400-12D4 12" 400 Watt Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer 269-087

The Xmax rating of that driver is HIGHLY exaggerated. I suggest avoiding it.

Consider for a moment, the way an Xmax rating is roughly calculated... In a typical over-hung coil/magnet scenario (like this design), the coil is longer than the magnetic gap. The coil moves, with a fair degree of linearity through the gap provided an equal amount of coil is always present in the gap. (there is some room for fudging here, and it's far more technical than this as a magnetic gap is not a perfect "on/off" event, but bear with me). Xmax is the distance the coil can move in 1 direction, before linearity ends as a result of more and more of the coil leaving the strongest part of that gap. The magnetic gap in most overhung designs will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/2 to 1/4 the voice coil length but there is a lot of variation in that aspect.

Now... Having this visualization, how do you get a 16.5mm Xmax, from a 30mm long coil?

The simple answer is: You can't!

There are many other problems with the claims being made on that woofer. I won't get into them now..

Regards,
Eric

Really glad to see this project worked out so well! Good job bjorno and others who helped out so much!

-----------------------

The Xmax rating of that driver is HIGHLY exaggerated. I suggest avoiding it.

Consider for a moment, the way an Xmax rating is roughly calculated... In a typical over-hung coil/magnet scenario (like this design), the coil is longer than the magnetic gap. The coil moves, with a fair degree of linearity through the gap provided an equal amount of coil is always present in the gap. (there is some room for fudging here, and it's far more technical than this as a magnetic gap is not a perfect "on/off" event, but bear with me). Xmax is the distance the coil can move in 1 direction, before linearity ends as a result of more and more of the coil leaving the strongest part of that gap. The magnetic gap in most overhung designs will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/2 to 1/4 the voice coil length but there is a lot of variation in that aspect.

Now... Having this visualization, how do you get a 16.5mm Xmax, from a 30mm long coil?

The simple answer is: You can't!

There are many other problems with the claims being made on that woofer. I won't get into them now..

Regards,
Eric

It seemed to good to be true. Thanks for helping me avoid a crappy woofer

Hi permo,

You really need to start using Hornresp :). Yes, the PHL 4530 is fine for this application, but it reaches Xmax @ 30W into 8 Ohms. It won't hang with your Tang Bands.

Don't feel alone though, I'm still trying to find a reasonable T-TQWT solution for the Eminence LAB15, but can only come up with chambered solutions (chamber between back of driver and duct).

Regards,

Hi permo,

You really need to start using Hornresp :). Yes, the PHL 4530 is fine for this application, but it reaches Xmax @ 30W into 8 Ohms. It won't hang with your Tang Bands.

Don't feel alone though, I'm still trying to find a reasonable T-TQWT solution for the Eminence LAB15, but can only come up with chambered solutions (chamber between back of driver and duct).

Regards,

Alright...time for me to start playing around in hornresp again. I would LOVE to be able to do some of my own work on these.

Seriously, I am a senior level application developer in Information Technology. Understanding logic and technology is what I do! I should be able to figure this program and the theories out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.