Single sheet TH challenge - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2011, 11:19 PM   #391
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey dave, a dual lab12 would be a great 'house party' sub !! If you build it, I'd be great to have another set of measurements. Somehow I think a PPSL would be a great option for a pair of lab12's as well. maybe someone will chime in with a dual lab12 ppsl.

Adam, all I found in 30 seconds of looking was this pic with notes on my tops: beta 12a-2, 1.9khz crossover 12db/oct with 16 ohm selenium 220 and dayton 12" conical waveguide with dayton 15x22.5 grill.

hope that's enough details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hs12notes.jpg (138.8 KB, 682 views)
Old 9th February 2011, 12:21 AM   #392
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave NonZero View Post
I've got two spare lab 12 drivers and two completed ss15. I might try knocking up that dual lab box and have a listen.
You will like the LF of the WS Lab 2x12", but miss the upper bang the SS15 gives.
Old 9th February 2011, 01:06 AM   #393
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
Hey dave, a dual lab12 would be a great 'house party' sub !! If you build it, I'd be great to have another set of measurements. Somehow I think a PPSL would be a great option for a pair of lab12's as well. maybe someone will chime in with a dual lab12 ppsl.
The distortion is so low as it is I think that the extra volume lost to the slot would make the cabinet larger with little positive benefit.

Wayne Parnham (sp?) had a long and ongoing "discussion" with Tom Danley regarding that subject, and heat sinks...

After several pseudonyms mirroring his opinions from the same IP showed up, the "discussions " finally concluded.

From the looks of his sub shootout results (2007?) four of the WS 2x12" would fit in the same space as Parnham's Pi Lab sub, and eat it for lunch in the bottom end. Four work out to about 100 dB one watt one meter, but can take full power (sine wave) to 33 Hz or so.

I should look that up, IIRC his distortion specs were no better than the WS 2x12.

Costs more in drivers, but can be split up, allowing for steering, multiple gigs and what not.

One other thought, ever tried the Peavey Low Rider 15? They work well in big tapped horns.
33.9 Hz FS compared to 43.65 Hz for the 3015LF, might get the SS15 flat to 40 Hz for about the same $. Probably require a longer horn, and be less efficient, nevermind...
Old 9th February 2011, 01:25 AM   #394
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
You will like the LF of the WS Lab 2x12", but miss the upper bang the SS15 gives.
Hey, the efficiency of that LAB12 gave me an idea. Have you looked at the DCON12 from SSA Audio? It's a 12" driver with an efficiency of 89dB, which is pretty high for a car audio subwoofer, but might be a good match for a multiple-12 pro audio box that needs to reach low. A dual sub built with this would have a net 4 ohm impedance (series-parallel wiring), but at the price of this driver I would be tempted to go with 3, for a 6 ohm impedance.

See SSA Shop - SSA Dcon 12D4 subwoofer300rms for more details.

The only thing missing from their t/s parameters is the Le rating, unfortunately, but at only $125 a pop, they might be worth a test or two.
Old 9th February 2011, 03:42 PM   #395
diyAudio Member

OK Jim, I think I understand the structure for the beta-12 box. Where did you mount the selenium with that big waveguide?

thanks!
Adam
Old 9th February 2011, 05:02 PM   #396
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reed View Post
OK Jim, I think I understand the structure for the beta-12 box. Where did you mount the selenium with that big waveguide?

thanks!
Adam
bolt it directly to the metal grill, works great.
Old 9th February 2011, 05:13 PM   #397
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
Hey, the efficiency of that LAB12 gave me an idea. Have you looked at the DCON12 from SSA Audio? It's a 12" driver with an efficiency of 89dB, which is pretty high for a car audio subwoofer, but might be a good match for a multiple-12 pro audio box that needs to reach low. A dual sub built with this would have a net 4 ohm impedance (series-parallel wiring), but at the price of this driver I would be tempted to go with 3, for a 6 ohm impedance.

See SSA Shop - SSA Dcon 12D4 subwoofer300rms for more details.

The only thing missing from their t/s parameters is the Le rating, unfortunately, but at only $125 a pop, they might be worth a test or two.
From it's specs it looks like it could do very well, more Xmax and Bl, but less power handling. The higher Fs of 28 vs 22 would also make it a more viable choice for a PA tapped horn, and the voice coil options are good too.

Having tested the Lab 12 with full power sine waves, I know it handles the power and has very low distortion. Until I test production units, I have no real opinion, other than the obvious things the TS parameters point to.

I know Eminence is very good with warranty repair, I have no knowledge of DCON other than it does kill mice and rats quite well
Old 9th February 2011, 09:27 PM   #398
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From it's specs it looks like it could do very well, more Xmax and Bl, but less power handling. The higher Fs of 28 vs 22 would also make it a more viable choice for a PA tapped horn, and the voice coil options are good too.
Funnily enough, I couldn't come up with a TH model for that driver that I was really happy with. I'll have to try again.

Quote:
I know Eminence is very good with warranty repair, I have no knowledge of DCON other than it does kill mice and rats quite well
The driver's received good reviews in the car audio world, and that world can be quite brutal on bass drivers too . I've been itching to try out a pair - may actually do so later this year.
Old 10th February 2011, 06:57 AM   #399
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reed View Post
Hey Jim,

Do you have any more pics of a half completed/completed HS12 top? I have only the single photo on page 21 of this thread to go by...

thanks!
Adam
All you need is there in the post:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th February 2011, 10:00 PM   #400
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
Funnily enough, I couldn't come up with a TH model for that driver that I was really happy with. I'll have to try again.

The driver's received good reviews in the car audio world, and that world can be quite brutal on bass drivers too . I've been itching to try out a pair - may actually do so later this year.
Quick guess, will need around 133 or more inches of length to get it to work well in a TH. For home or install, towers are fine and don't take up much floor space, but a horn that long is big and heavy, multiple units of BR start to look a lot better if you have to haul the stuff.

I didn't mean to diss the DCON, just don't keep up much with car audio.

Hide this!Advertise here!