Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2010, 04:04 PM   #181
diyAudio Member

You must be referring to Tapped Horn paper not Labhorn paper.
Old 27th September 2010, 04:07 PM   #182
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Danley's Labhorn paper compares his Labhorn stack to an idealised vented cabinet stack.
Old 27th September 2010, 07:13 PM   #183
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamersusa View Post
Hell on wheels...

First off, I am a HUGE Meyer Fan, more than most people realize.
A single 18 meyer self powered against a single 15 TH with the same amount of power at 8 Ohms: The meyer will run out of xmax first...period.
The perception of loud however is a different story as the 18 will compress and breakup way before the 15 TH resulting in higher frequency harmonics and distortions making it "sound louder" even though the TH is busy rearranging your heart rate. This is real world experience..
Do you have real world experience with this? Meyer doesn't make a single 18 do they?

You made the claim that a diy 15 TH is way better sounding than a pro vented sub. Well given the same volume box and SAME % of distortion... its NOT. The 700Hp wins handily on low frequency extension and Max SPL...

Price, weight, efficiency, simplicity even all that I give you... DIY TH wins in spades. You don't need to argue there... but rhetoric that a DIY TH 15 (that runs out of excursion with <250w) is besting a linear, low distortion, low power compression 2x18 pro sub with fancy sense electronic trickery and greater PE, sound wise is just wrong. And that's singly not a truckload.
Old 27th September 2010, 09:46 PM   #184
diyAudio Member

Ah I see. You are right sir! Any commercial double 18 properly powered by the manufacturers suggested and supplied amplifiers, and processing gear is going to BE BETTER than any diy cabinet ever made in the world.
Since Danley is a DIYer and so was John Meyer we can eliminate them as well.
Which commercial speaker company do you work for or represent whose equipment we should be buying, sir?

I've never seen a single Meyer but I've played with a single loaded and resealed 650-p. I have seen and played with the processors (insides) as well as the old Meyer modified Jbl 2" drivers. Cool stuff. I work with Meyer 650's and UPa's quite often and occasionally with an Msl4 rig. I have recieved compliments from Meyer owners... Like the Kravits Center people and other major Meyer players in the area. I was going for the Meyer sound as my holy grail when I built both of my pa's.
If I had 80 thousand dollars, I'd have a Meyer system or a Danley.

I'll let you know how my Molly Hachet show goes next month.

Last edited by screamersusa; 27th September 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11th October 2010, 05:25 AM   #185
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheels View Post
Do you have real world experience with this? Meyer doesn't make a single 18 do they?

You made the claim that a diy 15 TH is way better sounding than a pro vented sub. Well given the same volume box and SAME % of distortion... its NOT. The 700Hp wins handily on low frequency extension and Max SPL...

Price, weight, efficiency, simplicity even all that I give you... DIY TH wins in spades. You don't need to argue there... but rhetoric that a DIY TH 15 (that runs out of excursion with <250w) is besting a linear, low distortion, low power compression 2x18 pro sub with fancy sense electronic trickery and greater PE, sound wise is just wrong. And that's singly not a truckload.
You're not making your point. Danley showed the world that he could blow-away stacks of dual 18's with six LabSub horns. That their port nonlinearity and power compression were their downfall.
Old 11th October 2010, 05:48 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

Preliminary indications show that a THAM15 should be producable on a single sheet, but the definitive result remains until the build is finalized.

This information was given to me from a person who is now preparing to build a pair of THAM15 MKII's that incorporates four refectors in the hornpath, good news initially, and hope they do not change.

Even if that is the case, the difference in size coompared to Jbell's excellent design makes me wonder if they keep up, time will tell.
Old 26th October 2010, 08:49 PM   #187
char355 is offline char355  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

jbell I really like your plan, I have modified it for my needs.

I'm using 18mm wood and have used a square throat like in the furybox to hopefully reduce excursion at high levels. most of the dimensions have changed to accommodate the thicker wood but luckily doesn't seem to have made much difference to the output.

Its not strictly a single sheet anymore because the baffle is now two pieces but I'm using some spare 12mm wood i have.

These plots are calculated with a Kappa Pro 15lf2, any thought on using this driver? lower xmax but hornresp shows lower excursion.

I'll post plans etc soon but my laptops broken.

Last edited by char355; 26th October 2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 26th October 2010, 09:09 PM   #188
char355 is offline char355  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

*images didn't work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssthhkappaprolf2input.jpg (95.0 KB, 925 views)
File Type: jpg ssthhkappaprolf2driverdisp.jpg (67.9 KB, 822 views)
File Type: jpg ssthhkappaprolf2resp4par.jpg (77.1 KB, 824 views)
Old 27th October 2010, 12:53 PM   #189
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Snyder View Post
You're not making your point. Danley showed the world that he could blow-away stacks of dual 18's with six LabSub horns. That their port nonlinearity and power compression were their downfall.
Screamer was using a little hyperbole to say that his DIY TH-15 would introduce unheard of level of fidelity to a "pro guy" used to direct radiators. I gave an example of pro woofers that are more far more linear and more extended. (granted they are more SD, displacement and power handling)

I fail to see what relevance a Lab sub stack has to do with a different alignment, used singly or pairs. You know as well as I TD has claimed that large stacks of FLH will trump TH for efficiency.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:56 PM   #190
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi Hell on wheels,
Have you read Danley's paper on the Labhorn?
Have you compared Labhorn to Tapped Horn?

Hide this!Advertise here!