Build your own 2x12" TH (The Kraken 212 TH) - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2011, 05:14 PM   #41
60ndown is offline 60ndown  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petter Persson View Post
Cool build and welcome. Feels good to inspire others What do you think it
sounds like? I mean you made your own horn since the drivers and expansion
are different. Was the folding easy to build?
it was my first tapped horn build, and it was a little tricky to build

the performance is very good, it produces a lot of very low bass, enough to rattle everything in the room at half volume.

i havent spent much time listening to it yet (maybe 1 hour) so i cant give a very accurate review.

but im very happy so far, its doing what i wanted, lots of very low bass, loud, portable on batteries
Old 17th August 2011, 03:30 AM   #42
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks good 60!

I've been eyeballing the original design with the two 12" GTOs--but with a twist (of course) Same drivers but a odd-ball wacko concept that tickles the back of the cranium. I'm half nuts but the other half yearns to learn horn response since I'm going past left field with this one. Google indicates a zero chance that somebody has build the tapped with a twist--perfect, it is more fun that way.

Good to see you built a tapped horn though--you beat me! My excuse is being side tracked with a pair of 2-way vertical line arrays--120 drivers and a Roto-Zip (nothing zippy about it) Throw in a 2 month heat wave and it slows me down. Building another crossover tomorrow, then the array project goes into the garage.

The arrays NEED a subwoofer-- EQ as a last resort--my prototype sub is a Logitech 10" (Tangband) so I'll hop in bed with Horn Response and throw something together tuned at 25Hz. If it works, ebay another Tangband 10" and build a second one. Did I mention vertical line arrays were loud?

Since your horn is larger than it needs to be, it should be interesting to get the final specs on the beast. I tend to build things a bit "big" but always have the option to add more braces to take up space...the Q on my line arrays ended up around 0.85 which is fine, more "reasons" to build tapped horns.

I gotta get into gear, 60 is ahead and my arrays go final tomorrow so the bass race continues. Any words of advice to first time tapped horn builders?
Old 18th August 2011, 01:22 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
Any words of advice to first time tapped horn builders?
yes,

when you lay your first piece of wood down and start marking it for the internal panels,

be sure to mark the 3/4 inch all the way around the outside of that board first,

i spent 40 minutes marking out 3/4 of my build (very neatly) only to realize later that i was measuring the internal panels from the edge of my board not the inside edge of the first panel (which is 3/4 inch further in, all the way around)

took me 10 minutes scratching my head and wondering why things were so far off to realize my mistake, had to start from the beginning on the other side of my board = almost an hour wasted

i have a rotozip, its ok for drywall but not wood, hole saw or jigsaw ftmfw.

lesson learned.
Old 18th August 2011, 05:28 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
yes,

be sure to mark the 3/4 inch all the way around the outside of that board first,

i spent 40 minutes marking out 3/4 of my build (very neatly) only to realize later that i was measuring the internal panels from the edge of my board not the inside edge of the first panel (which is 3/4 inch further in, all the way around)

took me 10 minutes scratching my head and wondering why things were so far off to realize my mistake, had to start from the beginning on the other side of my board = almost an hour wasted

i have a rotozip, its ok for drywall but not wood, hole saw or jigsaw ftmfw.

lesson learned.

I was planning on making a cardboard template--cut out all the cardboard and lay it on the plywood sheet. Templates have always helped me save time when working with multiple angles so I'll run with that.

Don't want to think how many hours it took to cut 120 holes in 3/4" with the Roto-Slow though... only destroyed one bit so I have the touch.

My plan is to build a horn with a 10" I have laying around, make mistakes...learn a few things then blow the bucks for what I really want.
Old 18th August 2011, 04:01 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

16 PC HOLE SAW KIT WITH MOLDED CASE NEW | eBay

120 holes = about 10 minutes
Old 18th August 2011, 05:53 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

That tool is crap. I bought one at Harbor Freight and it fell apart after 3 - 3" holes. The pilot drill is (secured?) with a set-screw, which stopped holding after two holes. The keyed slots round out in the soft steel.
Old 18th August 2011, 06:54 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

many to chose from

hole saw kit - Google Search
Old 20th August 2011, 07:35 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Thanks 60 but...

My DeWalt 36V drill shears off Craftsmen bit holders (and cuts my fingers open from flying metal shards) I stay away from pot metal stuff. I used a carbide tipped 1" hole saw for the tweeter array holes then Roto Zipped the correct sized hole for the tweeter since it did not follow traditional sizes. 1.15 inch holes for the top 3/8ths of wood to fit the tweet frame then the bottom 3/8ths is stepped to 1" to add strength to the "bridge" of wood so I can pack them in tight. Threw a Dremel sanding drum on the Roto for the final fitting of each tweeter (96 tweeters total)

All done and not one "bridge" cracked between the tweets so all is good. Granted, I'm not in the desert anymore driving 3" long wood screws into 2x4s without pilot holes, but I still abide by triple over design and extensive idiot-proofing. When pushing the limits of my skill sets, it is always nice to know the tools, accessories and hardware are better than me--at least I don't have to worry about those failing.

Now to getting working on that sub....
Old 21st August 2011, 01:16 AM   #49
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hate to do a little hijack here, but 96 tweeters in what?

I'm building an array setup and looking for ideas and thoughts from those who have gone before.

Also have two of these tangband woofers, you running this in stereo or just both channels feeding it and a single enclosure?

Thanks,

Drew.
Old 21st August 2011, 02:05 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

I built a set of vertical line arrays for the garage--48 tweeters to make a 6 foot line. Not the easiest thing to cut--and not the fun part to wire but they work well in the 6 foot 2 inch tall 2-way line arrays. They fit my needs, loud, durable, low distortion, huge "sweet spot" and unique in a distinctive way. Not the brightest move to steal something unique. The "garage system" runs a 1980 Pioneer SX-3700 receiver, Pioneer professional laser disc player (with mic mixer) and those giant arrays. I live in a small town--instant bar and the locals will shoot anyone getting near their "town bar speakers/PA".

The Tangband 10" woofer is out of a Logitech 5.1 surround sound system. It's job was to live through two teen-aged boys and take the heat so the "real system" may live. Now, it's job is to live in a tapped horn subwoofer to take the load off the arrays. The real system is back in action but I needed a garage system for volume, even output and to raise some hell (I am NOT and will never be an audiophile--life is too short. A dozen people enjoying good sounding music is better than me sitting alone with a brandy snifter)

Can a 10" Tangband sub mesh well with the hell raising arrays? Only one way to find out, make some sawdust with guidance from a Horn Response program. The reason I jumped into the thread was 60 is the more "sawdust" guy instead of endless battles with theory. I've learned over the years that theory is a life sucking waste of time--only when something is built, tested and verified is when education begins.

I might be winning ugly...but as the great philosopher Charlie Sheen once said... I'm winning!

One day 60 will roll past my garage, stop in, have an ale and heap praise on me about how I can make something seriously ugly...but sound good. After all, DIY is about making something that fits your needs, your environment and your specifications... Best Buy don't sell "garage speakers".

Last edited by 18Hurts; 21st August 2011 at 02:07 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!