Need a very loud sub box design for wakeboard boat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey just a question but what wattage did you run that max db test @ ?
24v (150w) per driver. and that wasn't max db, it was where I think I'd push the driver to.

I attached the hornresp input page, so you could play with the
Vrc (volume rear chamber , cabinet in liters)
Ap (area port in sq.cm.)
Lpt (length port in cm.)

and figure out exactly what where you want your box tuning. (you may want something higher or lower than I had guesstimated.)

Also, I guesstimated 120 liters, but when you decide exactly how far apart you want your driver manifolds (5.25" maybe?) that will determine your final box volume.

You can see that it is not xmax limited (+-8mm on the 55.2421) above 40hz at 24v. I've had good luck using these drivers in small folded horns for PA, and not had any issues up to about 24v per driver. If' I'm being very careful, I'll limit to 20v. I would not recommend going up to 28v (250w) per driver long term.

have fun playing with hornresp... it's addicting.

Attachments

• manifold3.JPG
    manifold3.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 279
I attached the hornresp input page, so you could play with the Vrc (volume rear chamber, cabinet in liters) Ap (area port in sq.cm.) Lpt (length port in cm.) and figure out exactly what where you want your box tuning. (you may want something higher or lower than I had guesstimated.)

Hi jbell,

Perhaps it is also worth mentioning that the Loudspeaker Wizard tool recently added to Hornresp makes "box tuning" even easier now... and is fun to play with :).

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Wizard.png
    Wizard.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 278
are you using 8 drivers? (aka double click on Nd in 4parallel x 2 serial)

You can always double click on any of the driver fields and it'll prompt you for T/S params so you can easily use any driver.

David has gone out of his way to make this easy to use.... THANKS DAVID.
(and yes, the wizard for loudspeaker, not just tapped horn wizard is really cool.)

Hey Jbell here is the issue I feel I am running into .. The space between the backplate and the subplate is only running roughly 1.5" 's which I thought would not be enough to evenly dispurse the pressure thru- out the box.. I do have about 1 more inch in depth that I could use if this would help bringing the box to 21" in depth.. not sure if you can quick hornresp it and see what that does. let me know if I am just getting worried for nothing or if the extra inch helps.. Thanks

Attachments

• SDOC6079.pdf
    59.9 KB · Views: 68
I think it will be fine. I just remeasured a 55-2421, and you can easily put it in 8.25" which would leave you 2" (which is how I figured it when I originally sketched this)

Hornresp doesn't really have a good way to model cabinet restrictions like this, it's an akabak thing. I don't think it's anything to be worried about as a 2"x9" area should keep air speeds low enough. If you really have an extra inch -- use it. Going from 2x9 to 3x9 is 50% more area, and some peace of mind.

car (and boat) audio is many times a battle over a 1/4" I know....

Attachments

• 55-2421-4x8drawing.JPG
    55-2421-4x8drawing.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 171
stealth TH installed

so I decided that the stealth box was enough for now.. I will continue to mess around with Hornresp and configurations until I find a combination that seems significantly better but for now this box rocks and people can't figure out where my subs are.. Check these pics!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.