Hornresp

Runtime Error 13 on certain sims after update?

Your Hornresp.dat data file appears to have been corrupted - notice how in Attachment 1 there are no record number details displayed.

Your Lec design works just fine for me, as shown in Attachment 2.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 156
I am working on an Nautilus shape subwoofer, both with finite element analysis and HornResp.
Nautilus Speaker - Finite element simulation

I have some doubts about understanding the results. Supposing a sealed subwoofer, I choosed:
Tools -> Chamber Type -> Rear Lined
A understood this is for sealed enclousure

Then looking into Power response, we have Output1, output 2 and Convined. I attach some ilustration.

Should I consider only Output 1 (driver output?) and forget about Output2 (port output) and Combined for sealed enclusure?

Than you

Attachments

• RearLine_Combined.JPG
    RearLine_Combined.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 143
  • RearLine_Output1.JPG
    RearLine_Output1.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 133
  • RearLine_Output2.JPG
    RearLine_Output2.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 140
Your Hornresp.dat data file appears to have been corrupted - notice how in Attachment 1 there are no record number details displayed.

Your Lec design works just fine for me, as shown in Attachment 2.

I just realized that the pictured project is loaded and its only when I click next, does the error come, so project 20 out of 20 is corrupt...the only difference between now and yesterdays message is that I happened upon the "Sort" command.....My projects are now undesirably sorted but it moved the corrupt project to position 20 out of 20.....the MockAxi project shown in the picture loads...once again, only when I click next does the error appear....so I went to the editor and deleted it...
attachment.php

If I change the numbers I can re-sort my projects?

Attachments

• Newrecordofdeath.jpg
    Newrecordofdeath.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 279
If I change the numbers I can re-sort my projects?

Not sure what you mean by changing the numbers. Suggest you do the following:

1. Create a new data file named Hornresp1.dat using the File > New menu.
2. Use the Data File Editor to copy records in the desired order from Hornresp.dat to Hornresp1.dat.
3. Close Hornresp.
4. Delete the Hornresp.dat file.
5. Rename Hornresp1.dat as Hornresp.dat

Glad you took the pain David :)
Now its a simple task to calculate the below design.

1)
The next step is the room (and the baffle) in combination with the cabinets driver and port.
In the program one can select the position of the cabinet for simulating the spl etc. Against a wall or in the middle of a floor are two of them. Somewhere in between, back side 0,2-0,5 m from the wall is the most common position for a speaker. Also a cabinet port can be positioned on the front, underneath or at the back.

The above wall distance and position of the port is not something that can be selected in the program here. If i proceed to another program (VituixCAD for example) they sometimes can compensate for room, position and baffle. But then I walk away from the horn design from Hornresp. Is there a good process of how to adjust the horn design by the use of both Hornresp and a program compensating for the room (, baffle) and port position without loosing the advantages of Hornresp (and the other porgram)?

2)
What is your best suggestion of hos to get a more detailed, zoomed in, spl curve of a critical area? An output to for example Excel would ease the process, but that might be other ways that you guys use.

Attachments

• Bild1.png
    Bild1.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 165
By "pipes", I assume that you mean segments?

If so, then a BP6P system can be modelled as a compound horn (CH).

Somehow. I'd like to have put the speaker on 1/3 on each segment, have segements tapered and opt. filling to prevent upper harmonics. That all to be able to have a 6db xo to the midrange enclosure.
I'm curious if a transmissionline bandpass would sound diffrent/better than a common helmholtz bandbass.

Going crazy again.

Turing back to a simple design and comparing an output from MathCAD and Hornresp and end up with two very different results. Have been going over it again and again without finding the error.

Enclosing the input and spl output from MathCAD and Hornresp.

Impedance curves, driver displacement etc are equally different.,

Attachments

• Comparing PK MathCAD and Hornresp.pdf
    197.2 KB · Views: 55
Folding while preserving sim results...can preserve volume, but not length

I doesn't appear to be enough to merely preserve volume while folding a horn into a cabinet in order to preserve the Hornresp sim results. Folding lengthens the horn. But it's impossible to know the ultimate length until the design is complete.

See the attached image for clarity. Given a horn profile defined by a sequence vertical dimensions at, say, 2cm intervals (cabinet width is constant), all four examples have the same area (& thus volume), however, the lengths are different if you use the advanced centerline method, which appears to connect the center points of each of the vertical "ribs" (?).

I can re-simulate with the new length and see what damage I've done to my beautiful Hornresp results, but iteratively changing the design is very time consuming. Is there a better way?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• folding.PNG
    folding.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 147
I doesn't appear to be enough to merely preserve volume while folding a horn into a cabinet in order to preserve the Hornresp sim results. Folding lengthens the horn. ...................... Is there a better way?

Many thanks!

Hi Newracer! Do you have an idea what type of cabinet design you would like (high/shorts, wide/narrow etc), or what kind of horn you would like to have (single/double fold etc), where you would like the port to end etc?

I prepare an Excel based on the basic thoughts. When the Hornresp simulation dimensions come out I can adapt the cabinet to it. Or prepare the Excel for the opposite. If I make the “xyzvw” this long what happen to the dimensions in the Hornresp design etc.

If we start with the a cabinet design idea we can go further after that