Hornresp

It seems that in 3-way multiple entry horn wizard, it don't save the "bandpass filter 3" parameters, or at least, for me.

Hi papasteack,

It seems to be working correctly for me. I tried changing the 'Band Pass Filter 3' slider settings, then clicked the 'Save' button to close the wizard, and then clicked the 'Previous' button to change to a different record, generating the message shown in the attachment. Clicking the 'Yes' button saved the filter changes.

Please let me know if you still have problems saving filter changes when the above process is followed. Thanks.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 184
Hi David

I did read this article about horns, what do you think about it, I have now a tractrix and these do beam, like all horns proberly, but a conical is much wider an more natural, to get some more widening I can mount the driver with a small gap on the throat of the tractrix.

There are so much different articles the one say this the other that, for as I did now a constant directicity horn do the best for high end, the goal I search for, you see this horns now with complicated conical flares.

is this why the synergy sounds so well and is be used.

Oswalds Mill Audio - Blog | OMA

regards

Copied directly from the website:

"Conical horns are completely different. They have straight sided walls. The sound comes out of the driver at the throat end and sees a perfectly consistent expansion rate, which means the sound wave emerges as a spherical wavefront without any perturbations. That’s not what happens with a curved horn, because the sound wave is now seeing curved walls, a bit like playing pool on a curved billiard table. As the frequency goes up, the sound waves don’t even “see” the horn walls and start to beam, which is why you’ll often see conventional horn speakers toed in to aim at a central listening chair or position- if you’re not sitting there with your head in an imaginary vise you will miss part of the essential high frequency information because its only to be heard on axis. This makes a listening session at a horn afficianado’s home frustrating, because only one person at a time can really hear the music properly.

"Conical horns don’t have any of these problems. In fact, one of their attributes is a technical term called “constant directivity” which is one of the absolute most desirable characteristics in the pro audio world. What it really means is that everywhere the horn is aiming (defined by looking at the angles of the horn, and pretending that if it were a fire hose nozzle, who would get soaked sitting in front of it) gets to hear the same thing in the same way."

I'd sum it up this way. The internet has a way of readily enabling a person to type in information.

It's value is potential.

Here is a good reference of different horn type done by a frequent contributor to this thread that I respect the opinion of:

http://www.audioxpress.com/assets/upload/files/kolbrek2885.pdf

https://books.google.ca/books?id=t_...orn directivity conical versus curved&f=false

Go to page 725 at the start of the horn section.

Then tell me if people with experience in the field agree with the information posted on the website.

Hi David

I did read this article about horns, what do you think about it,

Hi Kees,

I think that the author of the Blog is trying to convince us that conical horns are the best because that's what his company makes and sells :).

Apparently he is not too concerned about the lack of low frequency performance compared to say an equivalent-sized exponential horn.

Incidentally, he refers to Edgar "Villachur" when the name is actually "Villchur"...

Remember - if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. If conical horns were as good as claimed then every manufacturer would be using them.

Kind regards,

David

The author mentioned the good points of a conical horn but not the bad points: lobing and midband narrowing. I think what he probably liked best is that they are relatively easy to make. The low frequency loading is a "feature", not a bug, useful in Synergy horns. Take a straight sided conical horn, and add optimized, curved terminations at both ends and then you have something - like a SEOS, for example, if constant directivity is your thing.

The author mentioned the good points of a conical horn but not the bad points: lobing and midband narrowing. I think what he probably liked best is that they are relatively easy to make. The low frequency loading is a "feature", not a bug, useful in Synergy horns. Take a straight sided conical horn, and add optimized, curved terminations at both ends and then you have something - like a SEOS, for example, if constant directivity is your thing.

A great example in your statement of why some horn profiles have great applications. Ease of manufacture, and for multiple entrant types of horns they have great utility.

Just More ...

Copied directly from the website:

"Conical horns are completely different. They have straight sided walls. The sound comes out of the driver at the throat end and sees a perfectly consistent expansion rate, which means the sound wave emerges as a spherical wavefront without any perturbations. That’s not what happens with a curved horn, because the sound wave is now seeing curved walls, a bit like playing pool on a curved billiard table. As the frequency goes up, the sound waves don’t even “see” the horn walls and start to beam, which is why you’ll often see conventional horn speakers toed in to aim at a central listening chair or position- if you’re not sitting there with your head in an imaginary vise you will miss part of the essential high frequency information because its only to be heard on axis. This makes a listening session at a horn afficianado’s home frustrating, because only one person at a time can really hear the music properly.

"Conical horns don’t have any of these problems. In fact, one of their attributes is a technical term called “constant directivity” which is one of the absolute most desirable characteristics in the pro audio world. What it really means is that everywhere the horn is aiming (defined by looking at the angles of the horn, and pretending that if it were a fire hose nozzle, who would get soaked sitting in front of it) gets to hear the same thing in the same way."

I'd sum it up this way. The internet has a way of readily enabling a person to type in information.

It's value is potential.

Here is a good reference of different horn type done by a frequent contributor to this thread that I respect the opinion of:

http://www.audioxpress.com/assets/upload/files/kolbrek2885.pdf

https://books.google.ca/books?id=t_...orn directivity conical versus curved&f=false

Go to page 725 at the start of the horn section.

Then tell me if people with experience in the field agree with the information posted on the website.

... Mythology about the properties of an Acoustic Horn.

Design of these devices is all about trading between driver loading and radiation pattern control, while recognizing that the resulting baffle will be of finite extent with dimensions comparable to the wave length of the lowest frequency to be passed. Here the optimum profile will be curvilinear best expressed by a Bézier curve/surface to arrive at the design of a Complete Horn. Acoustic impedance transformation and diffraction are the tools at use here. At the moment, striking a balance between them while avoiding reflectance is more an art form than a science.

Regards,

WHG

Last edited: