Hornresp

If a poll were taken I'm sure 100 percent of people voting (minus Grasso) would vote to leave things as they are. The current Acoustical Power graph gives results very close to what you would measure if you actually built what you simulated, as has been proven countless times. The directivity tool goes the extra mile. It really doesn't matter what the Acoustical Power graph is named, it's pretty clear what the graph is showing and the Hornresp Help file explains what it is adequately. The proposed new Power graph is almost completely useless for the average person using this program.

Many thanks 'just a guy', that was exactly the sort of feedback I was seeking. I feel even more comfortable leaving things as they are after reading your very eloquent and enlightening post.

I will let Leo Beranek have the final say on the matter - the following two quotes are taken from his classic 1954 "Acoustics" book:

"A frequency-response curve of a loudspeaker is defined as the variation in sound pressure or acoustic power as a function of frequency, with some quantity such as voltage or electrical power held constant."

"Whether one considers sound pressure or power radiated, the frequency-response curve when expressed in decibels has the same shape, provided the directivity factor is constant."

This place is not university, David, and frankly, regarding sound power, German universities are better than the ones in the English-speaking realms. Sound power is not what Hornresp plots. If you keep on painting over that, i will keep coming thru.

Now you make me wonder what you missed in school?

Nevile Thiel was Australian.

Richard Small an American

Floyd Tools a Canadian.

Seems to me that with but a few examples it can be shown that no one country has cornered the market on intelligence.

Attachments

• Yabba the Mutt.jpg
    Yabba the Mutt.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 158
regarding sound power, German universities are better than the ones in the English-speaking realms.

I would be very interested to see the data proving that to be the case.

Sound power is not what Hornresp plots.

I have no problems with you continuing to believe that Hornresp plots guns and roses. I think however that it is probably time to call a halt to this discussion - it must be boring everyone else to distraction by now. Accordingly, I will not be responding to any more posts from anyone on the choice of the title "Acoustical Power" to describe the chart in Hornresp which plots the ratio in decibels of output sound power to a fixed reference sound power.

If you keep on painting over that, i will keep coming thru.

To allow you to move on, it may be better if you just delete Hornresp from your computer and try to forget you ever saw it. There are much more important things in life to worry about than a silly loudspeaker simulation program.

If however output power versus frequency does indeed need to be plotted for some reason, then the existing chart data can be exported to a spreadsheet and the output power W calculated at each frequency using the following formula:

W = Ang * (4 * 10 ^ -10) / (1.205 * 344) * 10 ^ (SPL / 10) watts

Where Ang is the solid angle value specified in the simulation (e.g. 2 * Pi for half space radiation), and SPL is the value given in the SPL (dB) column of the spreadsheet.

If necessary, the Acoustical Power Level PWL referenced to 1 picowatt can be calculated using the following formula:

PWL = 10 * Log10(W / (10 ^ -12) ) dB

Where W is the output power calculated using the first equation.

Further to the above, it is not necessary to first calculate W if only the PWL referenced to 1 picowatt is required. The relevant expression becomes:

PWL = SPL + Offset

Where:

Offset = 10 * Log10(Ang / 1.0363)

If Ang = 4 * Pi then Offset = 10.84 dB
If Ang = 2 * Pi then Offset = 7.83 dB
If Ang = 1 * Pi then Offset = 4.82 dB
If Ang = 0.5 * Pi then Offset = 1.81 dB

It is close enough just to remember that the 4 Pi offset is 10.8 dB, and that the offset value reduces by 3 dB each time that the solid radiation angle is halved.

David said:
I would be very interested to see the data proving that to be the case.
An example for the English-speaking realms thou have given. In the schoolbooks i read about (electro)acoustics, Leistung (power) wird (becomes) nicht (not) bezogen (referenced) auf (to) einen (a) Abstrahlwinkel (radiation angle).

PWL = SPL + Offset
Wrong! Power is the integral of sound pressure over a full detection sphere. PWL is that power referenced to another power of usually 1 pW.

PWL = SPL + Offset

Where:

Offset = 10 * Log10(Ang / 1.0363)

If Ang = 4 * Pi then Offset = 10.84 dB
If Ang = 2 * Pi then Offset = 7.83 dB
If Ang = 1 * Pi then Offset = 4.82 dB
If Ang = 0.5 * Pi then Offset = 1.81 dB
True for a driver much smaller than wavelength! But Hornresp does not use that formula of thee. At such a low acoustic frequency, if Ang is halved in Hornresp, then "power" rises by 6dB, while it should do so by 3dB only.

Last edited: