hello, how about this booster for amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2006, 06:44 AM   #1
denver is offline denver  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Wink hello, how about this booster for amplifier

hello everyone, what can you tell about this booster? for me i love it. i dont know why bec. its realy good for low power amplifier... any comment should be appreciated.. tnxx....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg booster.jpg (94.2 KB, 3592 views)
Old 24th August 2006, 09:01 AM   #2
unmibh is offline unmibh  Bosnia and Herzegovina
diyAudio Member

Hi Denver,

I remember them , it was a hit in the 80's , I built one as well during those days and I was surprised how good it is considering using so few parts. I would like to build one again using newer transistor in place of the 2955 but I don't know if the transformer are still available.

cheers
rom
Old 24th August 2006, 09:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I wonder why PNP transistors were used in the original when equivalent size NPN's are stronger and cheaper? It does use a single supply rail so that keeps things simple. In fact, it's not really that much different (conceptually at least) from the one that was here a year or so ago by someone named Susan, IIRC. Here it is.
Old 24th August 2006, 10:59 AM   #4
unmibh is offline unmibh  Bosnia and Herzegovina
diyAudio Member

Hi Cylo,

IIRC, there are diffrent variation of similar circuit floating around from diffrent shops offering booster amp then where this came from. There are also NPN 2N3055's but I don't have any diagram of them now. May be Denver, have more to offer.

Cheers
rom
Old 27th August 2006, 09:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to audiomachines
hello everyone,

I remember this booster amplifier and it still on the market today ( here in the Philippines). I used to intall this booster with the ever popular Pioneer KP 500 car stereos with a couple Pioneer PT-6 tweeters on our king of the road, the jeepney's. There are 3 version of this booster, the 50W (the one that you posted) the 100W (with 4 outputput transistors and a bigger output transformer) the 150W ( with 6 output tranies running on a 24V dc supply) and I am wondering if they are really putting out that power. MJ2955 was used so you could mount it directly on the heatsink. I remember we used to assemble these on a C bar aluminum, then a handful of LED's, resistors, 1N4148's for a simple VU meter to go.

regards,
audiomachine
Old 27th August 2006, 09:48 PM   #6
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Oh my!
The mind basters are back!!

These were sold as assembly with a 6" X 9" (cheap) speaker in the early 70's. Man, they sounded really bad. They were very similar to your diagram, but I think NPN 3055's.

I can't believe the concept is still around.

-Chris
Old 28th August 2006, 12:17 AM   #7
clem_o is offline clem_o  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hey Chris,

These beasts are still popular here - usually see them in pedal-powered transports (bicycle with a sidecar). The driver maintains a 12V lead-acid battery, usually tucked right under the passenger seat in the sidecar. You have them blasting away, and for the life of me I can't figure why anyone would want to ride them, with the tweeters screeching into your ears and the bass booming all over...

And yeah, audiomachines is right - the other application area would be the public transport jeeps and buses, though loud music is banned on 'real' public vehicles...

Cheers!

Clem
Old 28th August 2006, 12:33 AM   #8
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hiya Clem!,
And I though they were bad way back then. I doubt they sound any better today!

-Chris
Old 28th August 2006, 12:40 AM   #9
clem_o is offline clem_o  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Chris,

The quality of the metal going into the transformers was better back then. So you have a pretty good idea of what these things sound like... No offense to denver meant - perhaps his unit is one of the better-sourced ones...

Cheers!

Clem
Old 28th August 2006, 04:10 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to audiomachines
hello,

but in the first place this is where i got into audio constructing these booster amps he he he he quick, cheap and dirty no offense to denver. maybe you could construct a gainclone with a simple voltage divider on the input so you could feed it with speaker level signals. yeah i miss those days well all that matters to you is bass and your treble and don't forget to turn on that loudness contour i remember we use to souped up those Pioneer KP 500 modifying their tone controls, this booster amp is the reason why AN214 ic's sells and got extinct. yaikess am I that old ha ha ha ha

regards,
audiomachines

Hide this!Advertise here!