Electrocompaniet original 25 W needs help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2006, 04:53 PM   #1
legarem is offline legarem  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Electrocompaniet original 25 W needs help

Hi

I got an original Electrocompaniet 25 watt 'The two channel audio amplifier' This model was made by Norse Ecosse Electronics. This amplifier was badly tweaked. The job was really butchered. I want to restore it in it's original condition. I need the power supply and protection circuit schematic with the parts list for the Norse Ecosse Electronic model.

Thanks a lot

Marc Legare
Old 11th May 2006, 09:18 PM   #2
erajoma is offline erajoma  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi
You may find it here:
http://www.electrocompaniet.no/

Good luck
Old 23rd October 2006, 08:59 AM   #3
Michel is offline Michel  Canada
diyAudio Member

Bonjour Marc,

Do you still need the Electrocompaniet 25 W schematics?
I saw somewhere else that you are looking for the Ampliwire II schematics too. Is it still the case?

For the 25 W I do have some schematics but they may not be complete.
I have a link that brings you to the site of a former Electrocompaniet employee. The site is filled with under construction links but some are still working. Especially the one on how to troubleshoot the 25 W.
http://home.online.no/~tsandstr/AudioStartsHere.htm

As for the Ampliwire II, I pretty much have all the schematics and service notes that have been published for this one.

Salutations,

Michel
Old 23rd October 2006, 12:20 PM   #4
AMV8 is offline AMV8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Marc

I have three of the Electro 25's. ( I had a fourth but that was stolen when I lent it out one night to a local dance - yes the electro does produce a lot of power for a 25 watt amp ) You will have already guessed that I think they produce good music.

Each of the three is slightly different. You should find what you need on the two web sites already provided. However I also completely rebuilt two of the electro's that I have and did schematics from these.

The main changes I made to the amps was to change all the electrolytics and the resistors on the output stage from 1 watt to 5 watt. Later I also increased the size of the capacitance bank and then added a fan - these amps do run hot in summer.

The normal cause of failure on these amps was the output resistor overheating. Also beware that the bias on the amps may drift and all the amps I bought had different bias settings. From memory I set mine to 2.5/3 amps. I will check my notes.

Do you have a model number for your amp?

Hope this helps

Don
Old 16th October 2010, 08:30 PM   #5
DrewR is offline DrewR  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Electro 25 schematics and grief

I have two pairs of Norse Ecosse 25s. The first pair are very early small heatsink, no handles version, built as bridged. The others are the later ones with handles (colour squared not shiny round) and heatsink wings. The second pair was bought, allegedly working, to relieve the frustration of unsuccessfully trying to get the first pair repaired. Several hundreds of pounds later I have three Electros, none of which work properly and the one Electrocompaniet smashed (sent it back to me in a box without wadding!) gutted for some Vellman boards and transformers, just so I can listen to music. My desire is to get the remaining old one remade as a stereo unit and the other two bridged units repaired and simplified, even if it means making them single ended units. I have not got the engineering skills and knowhow to do it and I have not got the funds to keep trying to find someone who can fix them by trial and error. I have some old schematics from Glenrothes but they are rough and difficult to follow. I miss them and would like to find a way out of this if you can suggest a solution...
Old 17th October 2010, 02:11 AM   #6
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legarem View Post
Hi

I got an original Electrocompaniet 25 watt 'The two channel audio amplifier' This model was made by Norse Ecosse Electronics. This amplifier was badly tweaked. The job was really butchered. I want to restore it in it's original condition. I need the power supply and protection circuit schematic with the parts list for the Norse Ecosse Electronic model.

Thanks a lot

Marc Legare
I'd really like to see pictures of the internals of the original Electrocompaniet 25 watt amp if you happen to take some.
Old 17th October 2010, 01:28 PM   #7
DrewR is offline DrewR  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi PB2. I too would like to see Don's schematics if he is happy to share. I am determined to try to get these amps working again but imagine the solution is beyond my own untrained capabilities. I have a private web site which I have assembled to try to gather all the info in one place. It is a work in progress but there are photos there and you are most welcome to go and have a look if you want: Hi Fi
Old 25th October 2010, 08:00 PM   #8
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Drew,

I just noticed your response here, thanks for posting that link.
I'll try to dig into your pictures as I have the time.

Do you know if the output devices have been replaced, can you
read the numbers off of the one that is take apart?
Old 26th October 2010, 05:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Schematic Electrocompaniet 25W designed by Lostroh and Mati Otala

is this the schematic of the showed amp front from the picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Electrocompaniet-25w.jpg (27.8 KB, 869 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electrocompaniet 25W Lostroh-Mati Otala engl language.pdf (121.0 KB, 574 views)
File Type: pdf Electrocompaniet 25W Lostroh-Mati Otala greece language.pdf (71.1 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 26th October 2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 26th October 2010, 07:00 PM   #10
msdin is offline msdin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Drew,

Having posted here before regarding this amplifier and had no luck finding any photo's of the amp internals, I like to say thank you as I've just downloaded the pictures for the amp.

I have restored the preamp and reversed engineer the circuit and I also have some photo's if you would like to add them to your web site.

With regards to the amp it seems like a never ending project many of the parts have been lost.
I've most of the case, front panel and transformer and two rebuilt amp boards one is working the other went up in smoke and the biggest problem is finding the transistors.

I'm also hoping shortly to get the missing parts for the case re manufactured and have another case made at the same time.

Hide this!Advertise here!