John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
scott wurcer said:

Actually noise is. It has the maximum entropy, that is why the highest information transmission methods end up looking like "noise" in the time domain.

Of course. Noise has the bandwidth. The DC through skin, up to lightspeed - as an accurate misstatement. :xeye: That constantly changing delta mass component and similar is what seemingly screws most folks up, they tend to fail to recognize it is there. Thus no ideal solution. The only workable solution is a constant variable that works (based on) on infinite possibility with regards to tracking in step. Which doesn't quite exist..so yah gotta fabricate yourself to a reasonable simile. So you find yourself pounding yourself attempting to get to extreme solutions. Hardcore extreme..and brute force simple. In the end, they are only poor attempts at the required infinite solution, as we live in some mechanistic thing called reality. The only saving grace, is the problem only exists there/here as well. As an example, Spending a lifetime drowning, can teach you how to breathe air better than anyone else. Meaning, Charles has an advantage, He's been deep into Loudspeaker design before. The distortions encountered there...are extreme. Brutal, in fact.

>Class D has plenty of xover distortion.
> I have measured it myself! It is because
>there is a usual 'dead zone' between turn
>off and turn on between output devices in
>order to avoid 'shoot-through'.

I was being facetious. The output of class D amps I have seen
look like the chaos mentioned. There is a differance though, in that the xover events in class D happen many times during an audio cycle and are filtered out to some extent by the LP filter -
loudspeaker.

>By the way, your understanding of what
>I said about NP was incorrect, on your
>own website. He didn't do anything wrong,
>I did.

???????????? Here's the closest thing I have to a website:
http://home.comcast.net/~mnjmiller/1island1.mp3

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
scott wurcer said:
Doesn't Nelson's Zen qualify? Now THAT was crazy IIRC about a 1000W standing power for a few out.

You must be referring to Son of Zen, which was the least efficient
of the Zens at about 6% as I recall. Most versions of that draw a
couple hundred watts.

Interestingly, SOZ has been one of the more popular of that series.
I believe it appealed to people to were more familiar with vertical mills
and welding equipment than transistors.

:cool:

hitsware said:
I was being facetious. The output of class D amps I have seen
look like the chaos mentioned. There is a differance though, in that the xover events in class D happen many times during an audio cycle and are filtered out to some extent by the LP filter -
loudspeaker.

No! Besides, the crossover distortion is caused by the interaction of the dead zone AND the inductance of the output filter.

Hi Nelson, I am hearing that people do not feel that I replied to you in a proper way in my last message. What I was trying to say, is that it would be better that we talk about Charles' circuit, modified if possible, and not add class D, or your designs into the mix, because it just confuses the direction. I don't know why Scott Wurcer brought your Zen design up on THIS thread. Perhaps just to confuse the situation. Perhaps, he was well meaning. I just don't know.
I expect 40-60% efficiency for this circuit, depending on how class A it turns out to be.
The only thing that I can personally claim to have invented in this design is the complementary differential self biasing jfet input, that I have been using for more than 35 years. The rest has been developed by Charles Hansen, and he doesn't even do it this way, anymore, as I was reminded by PMA. Yet, I don't want to copy Charles Hansen's latest stuff, just make what I would do, IF I were to make an open loop class A amplifier. I have had one on the drawing board for years. That is the direction that I would like to go, but if nobody wants to go forward in that direction, or wants to just disrupt this thread further, then I will take that into consideration.

500 years from now . what will it be

john curl said:
By the way, your understanding of what I said about NP was incorrect, on your own website.
He didn't do anything wrong, I did.

John Dear.

Who cares ... who did some minor wrong 30 years ago.
Only machines are not human. In making many small mistakes, constantly. In being less than perfect.
But actually, there are some people in this forum, that appears to be robot machines.
If we are to believe what they say, them selves.
Another characteristic of one modern machine is the 100% abscense of Symphathy, Heart & Empathy.

In 100 years from now, nobody will remember some Lineup (who?)
and approximately 500 years from now only like 2, 3 historians from USA, interested in primtive & outdated audio electronics
will even have happend to notice the name of Mr. John Curl.
And only because Mr. Nelson Pass has produced a bit more paper, than the rest of us,
there can eventually be as many as 6-7 historical nerds been having coming across his name at this point in future.

You can sleep well now without any further nightmares, John.
I have also moved that intimidating topic far away from public reach.
So the image people have of you can be left untouched.

Sweet Dreams :)
your lineup

John,

I won't clutter up your thread, but I have to thank you again for the reference to the B&K paper on microphone distortion. It got me up off my duff to design a work around and since I can't find a reference in the literature I can't share it until I explore the IP implications. Since we don't make conventional microphones I will probably just make it public domain eventually.

Lineup, John is right that stuff is left best between friends I certainly have my own stories :) .

Scott, I am glad that you got something from the B&K literature. I got off the microphone topic, because we were not going any further on the input leakage issue. Perhaps, you know something that you can contribute. Also, the BF862 does look like a pretty good part for a medium to large element microphone input fet, IF the voltage across it remains low enough.

John, I didn't mean anything about mentioning Nelson's work. Proper protocol in presenting new work is to compare it with existing art. As I said before at even the highest level there are different opinions and different solutions. There are those with enough resources to buy anything they want and still want things like that buffered transformer pre-amp. Operating in a vacuum is not very elightening (no pun intended).

> just make what I would do, IF I were to make an open loop class A amplifier. I have had one on the drawing board for years.

John,

I guess most would agree that Charles' topology is hard to improve on, other than maybe to replace the frontend by complementary JFETs. But how about choice of the cascode and especially output devices ?

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.