John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
hitsware said:
How does DC get into the mains ?
you've not read any of the correct posts in the various threads.

We don't inject DC into the mains.
We extract asymmetrical current from the mains.
That leaves an unbalanced pair of halfwaves.
This generates a net current flow and corresponding transformer flux in one predominant direction that creates a similar effect to adding a DC current to a symmetrical AC current.

"
We don't inject DC into the mains.
We extract asymmetrical current from the mains.
That leaves an unbalanced pair of halfwaves.
This generates a net current flow and corresponding transformer flux in one predominant direction that creates a similar effect to adding a DC current to a symmetrical AC current.

"

Is that part of the ' no single endedness ' of the
' Blowtorch ' mantra ?

john curl said:
Of course, Hitsware. We get our transformers from mainland China. What else could we expect? Should we get a European brand and raise the price $1000?

There is some great stuff now coming out of Eastern Europe. Pricing is good. Ex military builders. However, by the time the switchover would be complete, the Chinese factory might 'have it together'....and have those issues fixed. Always the dilemma. Plus..all the other myriad potential issues of taking on new suppliers in these global situations.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It ain't only the mechanical hum, there are dynamic consequences in the sonics too. EI transformers used to be more of a pig for AC impurities and DC like presence. Alas, the times that 'Made In USA' or 'Made In West Germany' really ment something are long bygone...:(

PMA said:

I think I can recognize sarcasm and humor when I see it. I've seen enough of your posts to figure that out, I feel.

Well, that's what it looks like from here. Testing for various issues are always in order before committing. Pricing can mean quite a bit in today's global market, and the many of the factories have been in business for longer than that of many of the Asian companies. These things count. However, I will cease, this is outside the discussion.

In my mind, asymmetrical and non-linear transient draw characteristics over frequency and time ( on a lets say, 4 levels measured draw chart) are quite fundamental to sonic fidelity. And we rarely, if ever, get these specs.

Thanks for your input, but we have looked at the problem over the years. We have a test at the warehouse that we use, but we have had trouble getting the transformers to misbehave except when they are are working in complete units. It is usually caught in advance, before release for sale. If we could remove the problem completely, we would, but it would be too expensive to do so. Some transformer manufacturers make special units that reduce the problem, but at a much higher price. IF you live in an area with DC on the line, you might want to invest in a transformer for your project that addresses the problem. The alternative is to fix the power line pollution that is creating the DC on the power line in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.